The Student Room Group

FP2 Polar coordinates

Hi would like some help as i am not getting the right answer in the FP2 June 2010.Here is my workings in short june 2010 Fp2.PNG.This is what the mark scheme has to say:ms.PNG
Thanks,
Smith
Original post by smith50

The limits on your integral are incorrect. What do you get at the points of intersection of the two curves?

You will find it helpful, I think, to draw on the two areas you are subtracting to get the desired result.
Reply 2
Original post by ghostwalker
The limits on your integral are incorrect. What do you get at the points of intersection of the two curves?

You will find it helpful, I think, to draw on the two areas you are subtracting to get the desired result.

Yes the denominators of the limits should be 18 - but how do you do the next step?
My two coordinates of intersection was (2,pi/18) and (2,5pi/18).

I am really stuck on the next part of the area

smith
Reply 3
Are you confused about the part of the mark scheme that you circled? That's just the integral from whatever to whatever of 2r^2 dt evaluated...
Well the area is:

12π185π18(1.5+sin3θ)222  dθ\displaystyle\frac{1}{2}\int^{ \frac{5\pi}{18}}_{\frac{\pi}{18}}(1.5+\sin 3\theta)^2-2^2\;\mathrm{d\theta}

And if you split it into two integrals, you end up with the final term they have.

Quick Reply

Latest