The Student Room Group

Should Britain become an official secular state?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by G8D
I don't think anyone is opposing representation from faiths within the democratic process. It's the guaranteed seats provided to the Church that I find unsettling.

Also, is the use of Sharia courts in the UK a good thing in you opinion? lol :frown:

Its one option of alternative dispute resolution, If its used properly its saves wasting tax payer money in courts proceedings for civil matters. I don't really have a opinion on really its just another form of ADR.
(edited 11 years ago)
we should become an islamic republic instead.
Reply 22
I think we should remove links to any one particular religion when it affects legislation. I'm not too bothered by the Christian imagery in official symbols, and the national anthem, and that the head of state has ceremonial links to a religion.

So remove the Bishops from the House of Lords. Although that doesn't necessarily mean Bishops can't be lords, just that they should not be treated as a special case. They should not be there purely on the basis that they are a Bishop. Phase out special privileges and rights that the CoE gets over other religions.

The Queen's involvement in the Church of England is fine. Even if they weren't a state Church, the Queen can hold other positions in other organisations unrelated to the British state. She already does considering she is also the head of state of 15 other countries. And as I said, I'm not too bothered about ceremonial links between the state and a Church. If we were to get rid of all traditions like that we might as well get rid of the monarchy entirely.
Reply 23
I think the main thing to point out here is that secularism is all about inclusivity. About giving everyone equal rights and give special rights to those who demand them, simply because their religious. Historically we're a Christian country and that's fine. But seeing the decline in the census from about 75% to 54% (if I'm wrong can somebody quote the real figures although it was at least 15% drop either way) is a positive thing and I think as atheists grow in this country, more reason will be influencing politics, rather than religion. You don't have to be an atheist to be a secularist of course, but seeing the rise in figures for both can only do good in this country when all secularism is about is equality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stop voting for traitorous Labour. Enough of this nonsense.
Religion isn't going away, every nail in the coffin of traditional Christianity in the UK is a boon for Islam which is permitted to rise unfettered. Western liberals who love shouting about how atheist they are and mocking 'people who believe in sky fairies' won't touch Islam in case they get called a nasty name like 'Islamophobic', even though its teachings prohibit almost everything they believe in. Calling for a secular society (really desiring the total destruction of the Church), removing yet more of the influence and societal values that moulded many centuries of European culture, rewriting constitutions to exclude the Church in denial of this country's roots, just why are they working so hard to destroy every element of identity with this country and its past, whilst shielding those who wish to destroy western society full stop?
Original post by BaronessMiller
No! We should become 100% Puritan as opposed to CoE, Muslims, Catholics, Atheists etc.

lol why Puritan out of all the options?
Reply 27
Original post by HostileBitch
lol why Puritan out of all the options?

Because it's the one he likes. This is why we need secularism.
Reply 28
What problems are arising from Christianity in the UK? Why do you focus on a non-issue but gleefully ignore the facts? The only religion-related problems here today are due to Islam. But we all know they must be exempt from criticism...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by thesabbath
Religion isn't going away, every nail in the coffin of traditional Christianity in the UK is a boon for Islam which is permitted to rise unfettered. Western liberals who love shouting about how atheist they are and mocking 'people who believe in sky fairies' won't touch Islam in case they get called a nasty name like 'Islamophobic', even though its teachings prohibit almost everything they believe in. Calling for a secular society (really desiring the total destruction of the Church), removing yet more of the influence and societal values that moulded many centuries of European culture, rewriting constitutions to exclude the Church in denial of this country's roots, just why are they working so hard to destroy every element of identity with this country and its past, whilst shielding those who wish to destroy western society full stop?

Precisely. Left wing hypocrisy never stops. They attack the peaceful religions but bend over backwards to the barbaric ones because they don't have a spine.
Original post by forfrosne
Because it's the one he likes. This is why we need secularism.

you noob it's not possible because people will get depressed! we need the opium.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending