The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by beepidybeep
Yeah you're right, we'd probably lose to them by about that, its just annoying how people immediately write us off without much reason.
How do you remember it in such detail!? did you just watch the highlights?

Na I was in a pub at uni, watched the whole match and was fuming after the final whistle. I'm good at remembering certain games, especially important games like that. Plus there was a massive ****storm here with the mikel-clattenburg racism case so it's hard to forget.

United are a team to never write off though. I kinda knew madrid would just step up and win the match in time but I knew that united would give it a fight. Did make for two enjoyable legs.

On a tangent now but I really wanna see chelsea madrid next season.
Original post by jam277
Na I was in a pub at uni, watched the whole match and was fuming after the final whistle. I'm good at remembering certain games, especially important games like that. Plus there was a massive ****storm here with the mikel-clattenburg racism case so it's hard to forget.

United are a team to never write off though. I kinda knew madrid would just step up and win the match in time but I knew that united would give it a fight. Did make for two enjoyable legs.

On a tangent now but I really wanna see chelsea madrid next season.

I just wish we could've seen the last half an hour with 11 v 11. Would've been a great finish with Madrid dominating and us counterattacking.

I think you could give them a good game, if you make decent signings this summer, a defensive mid and a striker who can shoot. Maybe a centre back.
I just wish we could've seen the last half an hour with 11 v 11. Would've been a great finish with Madrid dominating and us counterattacking.

I think you could give them a good game, if you make decent signings this summer, a defensive mid and a striker who can shoot. Maybe a centre back.

Yeah, think it would have still been in the balance, probably a 1-1 again.

Striker and DM is needed. But we have a striker already(lukaku) but a player like dembele/wilshere is needed. Centre back less needed I think.
Original post by jam277
Yeah, think it would have still been in the balance, probably a 1-1 again.

Striker and DM is needed. But we have a striker already(lukaku) but a player like dembele/wilshere is needed. Centre back less needed I think.

True Lukaku has been great this season. Terry's getting on and Cahill and Luiz aren't good enough for where you want to be I think. No idea what CM you'd get though
True Lukaku has been great this season. Terry's getting on and Cahill and Luiz aren't good enough for where you want to be I think. No idea what CM you'd get though

Can't lie yeah don't rate them that much but they're doing decent enough, I guess we're comparing cahill to terry and luiz to carvalho so it's obviously not gonna compare. But we have enough depth in the position I feel and all play at a high enough level for our ambitions. DM/CM is more needed. We control games but we struggle to create play from deep and rely on mata/hazard too much. If we had a wilshere/dembele who could run from the half way line to the edge of the area and get a pass in our attacking play would have a new dimension.

In fact if you had a dembele/wilshere you would be fine in midfield too. How exactly does cleverley play? I don't watch him enough but from what I see he's a decent passer with an engine, tries a couple finesse shots but his finishing is poor bar the odd class goal(vs sunderland e.g.)
Original post by jam277
Yesterday reminded me of the CL final :lol: haven't seen steals like that since 99 CL final and 2012.

I don't think kagawa is a poor player. He's clearly playing out of position and once he plays in position he will flourish. I think that if you want to get the best out of kagawa you'll have to rotate a little, since the title's almost wrapped up he should get some games in his preferred position against dead rubber teams. Or even try him in a big match e.g. vs chelsea at OT since you'll have the league by then.

We played him against Real Madrid in the first leg, he played behind Robin in the first half. I'm still confident he can break out of the shackles he's been in. Hopefully that will improve our football when he does find his spot in our team. He's too good just to be a squad player.
Original post by jam277
Can't lie yeah don't rate them that much but they're doing decent enough, I guess we're comparing cahill to terry and luiz to carvalho so it's obviously not gonna compare. But we have enough depth in the position I feel and all play at a high enough level for our ambitions. DM/CM is more needed. We control games but we struggle to create play from deep and rely on mata/hazard too much. If we had a wilshere/dembele who could run from the half way line to the edge of the area and get a pass in our attacking play would have a new dimension.

In fact if you had a dembele/wilshere you would be fine in midfield too. How exactly does cleverley play? I don't watch him enough but from what I see he's a decent passer with an engine, tries a couple finesse shots but his finishing is poor bar the odd class goal(vs sunderland e.g.)

I can't see Wilshere or Dembele joining you tbh, there's not much out there really. Wanyama?

Yeah Cleverley's never gonna be a goalscoring midfielder like Scholes in his prime. Yeah good engine, runs around a lot which is really needed in our midfield. He's basically a worse version of Wilshere. He's been so important this season, without him we'd have Carrick and Giggs/scholes/anderson playing every game :redface:

IMO Cahill is a donkey of a player! Send him back to Bolton. I'd focus on getting a Terry replacement. Luiz hasn't looked too bad but I still prefer him as a CM. He looks very comfortable on the ball.

Neutral fan.
Original post by qasidb
Image the line-up... :drool:

Honestly can't actually think of a proper line-up unless we change to a diamond, and even then we are putting players where they shouldn't really be and/or missing out on key players.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Cleggy153
IMO Cahill is a donkey of a player! Send him back to Bolton. I'd focus on getting a Terry replacement. Luiz hasn't looked too bad but I still prefer him as a CM. He looks very comfortable on the ball.

Neutral fan.

Na, I think cahill has been good. He makes a lot of vital interceptions and covers ground.

Luiz at CM, na that really didn't work out properly, guess it's decent vs the weaker teams though or when he has someone like mikel/romeu to cover his forages forward. There's a reason why he no longer plays there. He's best as a CB doing long balls from deep.
Reply 2530
Anyone else feel Falcao could be used as a smoke screen for our real target, surely Fergie would rather splash the cash on someone like Bale/Gotze/Lewandowski to replace Rooney (if he leaves) or someone like Thiago/Modric/Vidal to improve our midfield.

As for CM, what type of midfielder would you like someone like Modric or Vidal, personally would prefer a Vidal type of destroyer.
Reply 2531
Original post by rohitbd
Anyone else feel Falcao could be used as a smoke screen for our real target, surely Fergie would rather splash the cash on someone like Bale/Gotze/Lewandowski to replace Rooney (if he leaves) or someone like Thiago/Modric/Vidal to improve our midfield.

As for CM, what type of midfielder would you like someone like Modric or Vidal, personally would prefer a Vidal type of destroyer.

There's so much about Falcao all of a sudden... Not sure what's going on really. Obviously I'd love to have Falcao at the club, but that doesn't seem to fit in with what we need.

And yeah, he's gonna cost a tonne. If we have that sort of money available to spend, surely we'd be better to spend it in area we've wanted sorting for so long. However, re the CM thing, I do feel we might be going for Wanyama, who isn't going to cost ridiculous amounts, so maybe we could just be spending the rest elsewhere. But I'd also like some better wingers, so I dunno.
Unrealistic = Vidal. Realistic = Strootman would be my two choices.

There is also this now:

BREAKING: Man Utd have paid an advance to Atlético for Radamel Falcao (like they did for De Gea), according to reliable expert G. Balague.

He is reliable but i just still cannot see how it would fit at all. RvP i could understand even if it was a luxury buy, this is just beyond silly. People are talking about Rooney going but i don't think RvP + Falcao can play together anyway.

If any truth behind it at all, it's most likely going to be to bump the cost up for any other PL teams interested imo.
Original post by Tommyjw
He is reliable but i just still cannot see how it would fit at all. RvP i could understand even if it was a luxury buy, this is just beyond silly. People are talking about Rooney going but i don't think RvP + Falcao can play together anyway.

If any truth behind it at all, it's most likely going to be to bump the cost up for any other PL teams interested imo.

Falcao is an out and out finisher. To be honest he's probably the best in the world at that, his all round game, is not that great. Robin van Persie could easily play behind him as every touch and pass he makes is spot on. He's OK at finishing too :biggrin:

If I was a Man. United fan, I'd be thrilled at the prospect of Rooney leaving and Falcao coming in. That is an improvement on what you already have. Rooney has been turd this season, he's a good player but he's not the saviour people think he is.

Two things that lead me to believe this could happen, 1) Fergie cannot buy a midfielder to save his life and 2) Fergie loves strikers and wingers. Therefore this isn't as daft as it sounds.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Falcao is an out and out finisher. To be honest he's probably the best in the world at that, his all round game, is not that great. Robin van Persie could easily play behind him as every touch and pass he makes is spot on. He's OK at finishing too :biggrin:

RvP is best in the front position too though, his overall game isn't like Rooneys which makes him so good behind the striker. I don't think RvP and Falcao would work together. Falcao is a pure finisher and RvP isn't exactly the Rooney type complete forward so they seem too similar.

If I was a Man. United fan, I'd be thrilled at the prospect of Rooney leaving and Falcao coming in. That is an improvement on what you already have. Rooney has been turd this season, he's a good player but he's not the saviour people think he is.

Turd this season even though he is scoring or assisting more often than well.. every other player who has played a lot? and has more goals/assists combined than the likes of Mata + Bale who are being hailed as contenders for player of the season and Rooney has played a lot less? Alright :rolleyes:

I'd chose Rooney over Falcao in this team and the team before we got RvP tbh. Wouldnt even be that hard of a decision.
Reply 2535
*Yawn* It's from before the international break but Rooney's only played 4 games since that scoring 2 for club, and scored 2 and assisted 1 for England in 2 games. Falcao has played 3 and scored 1 for Atletico, and didn't feature in any international.

Original post by VQG
Wait Falcao's a lot better than Rooney? Is that just based on this season? Or are you including last season, where Rooney actually only scored 2 less goals than him and at a higher goals/games ratio. Just taking league games into account, Falcao scored 24 in 34. Rooney had 27 in 34. If you take internationals into account, Rooney had 35 in 46 with 10 assists. Falcao had 42 in 60 with 6 assists.

Even just for this season Rooney has 18 goals in 32 games with 15 assists (including internationals). Falcao has 27 goals in 30 games with 2 assists. Rooney's in fact played 100 less minutes than Falcao this season. So their contributions are fairly matched, with Falcao being the better goal scorer and Rooney being the more rounded player.

So I'd be pretty underwhelmed to swap Rooney for Falcao.
(edited 11 years ago)
So what could the formation + lineup be if Falcao did join? Maybe..

RVP------- Falcao------ Nani
------- Rooney/Kagawa-------
----- Carrick ------Cleverley
Evra----- Smalling--- Vidic--- Rafael
------------De Gea--------------
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Tommyjw
Turd this season even though he is scoring or assisting more often than well.. every other player who has played a lot? and has more goals/assists combined than the likes of Mata + Bale who are being hailed as contenders for player of the season and Rooney has played a lot less? Alright :rolleyes:

Turd was a bit of an exaggeration to put my point across about Falcao being an improvement but Rooney hasn't been good enough this season. I don't care completely about the stats, judge him with your eyes. Where has he been in your big games? How many times does he lose the ball? How is his fitness? What's his consistency like? How many games has he played where you thought he bossed it from start to finish like other players in the team have this season? Rooney even admitted himself that he doesn't bother with the very basic guide the club give the players during the off season, he doesn't seem to care. He's a bit of a prick to be fair. If someone like PSG offered Man. United £30m+ for Rooney they'd be silly not to take it. His fitness is getting worse and worse.

Any striker will score goals at United merely because they create a lot of chances (Welbeck hasn't been played as one this season before someone mentions that).

And assist stats are flawed anyway, if player X beats 2 players and plays a through ball to player Y who then squares it so player Z scores a tap in, player Y gets the assist even though it was player X who did all the work.
Yeah of course rooney's fitness is an issue but he's clearly a good player and most of united's attacks go through him now. But I don't see the point of losing rooney if you're not getting a player who's all round like him. Also where would van persie play?

Only thing I can think of is that fergie is trusting in RVP and kagawa to do the job next season as I don't think he'll do the mourinho tactic of play RVP 60 mins and falcao 30 mins. Neither will I think that he'll revert back to a full on 4-4-2 like he used to do because where does that leave kagawa? Or he'll have to go back to the diamond formation.

Original post by The Assassin
So what could the formation + lineup be if Falcao did join? Maybe..

RVP------- Falcao------ Nani
------- Rooney/Kagawa-------
----- Carrick ------Cleverley
Evra----- Smalling--- Vidic--- Rafael
------------De Gea--------------

Would be absolutely terrible. RVP on the wing will not work out considering the way united play. What will happen is that he'll have turd games then be a boss whenever he's put in the centre. He'll be either benched or shoehorned at the expense of other players or another formation.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2539
I think Rooney is a better fit for United than Falcao. You already have a lethal finisher in RvP and although as a goalscorer Falcao is superior to Rooney, the latter is a much more rounded player. There aren't many players in the world that can play as a striker, number 10, CM and on the wings at the level that Rooney can.

Latest