The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Quick question regarding grades... does anybody know how they are actually used in an application? Do better grades = stronger applicant? Or do universities just want people capable of getting above a certain level? For example, the RVC (vet school chosen at random) want at least 5 As at GCSE level; does someone with 6 As have an advantage over someone with 5, or will they both be considered equally because they both meet the requirements?

Obviously they'd look at other things like PS, WEx etc, and clearly it will vary between different schools. Cambridge is an obvious example of there grades are probably taken into account more than other parts of an app, but I don't think I'll be applying there anyway. :colondollar:

Ahh, I hope this makes sense. It does in my head, but then the mind of LTC is a weird and wonderful place... :redface:
Original post by Little Tail Chaser

Hi there, welcome to the thread! :smile:

I'm a fellow Londoner (although closer to Herts than to Essex). A while ago I compiled a list of urban farms in and around London, I don't know if that would be useful to you at all? As ofssinfoxes said, going to urban farms isn't ideal as they are very different to working on a commercial environment, but it's better than nothing at will at least allow you to get your foot in the door so to speak. :smile: Just let me know if you'd like me to PM the list to you. :smile:

Hi, that would be great if you could PM me any contacts you have. Just trying to get anything I can experience wise at the moment. Thanks
Quick question regarding grades... does anybody know how they are actually used in an application? Do better grades = stronger applicant? Or do universities just want people capable of getting above a certain level? For example, the RVC (vet school chosen at random) want at least 5 As at GCSE level; does someone with 6 As have an advantage over someone with 5, or will they both be considered equally because they both meet the requirements?

Obviously they'd look at other things like PS, WEx etc, and clearly it will vary between different schools. Cambridge is an obvious example of there grades are probably taken into account more than other parts of an app, but I don't think I'll be applying there anyway. :colondollar:

Ahh, I hope this makes sense. It does in my head, but then the mind of LTC is a weird and wonderful place... :redface:

Stronger grades can only help you. I think they have certain requirements for interview, but stronger grades will only help if they decide to make an offer.
Original post by skatealexia
Stronger grades can only help you. I think they have certain requirements for interview, but stronger grades will only help if they decide to make an offer.

I agree with this, better grades make a better application right? But I also guess for vetmed that our work exp is just as important as our grades too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 664
Just sacrificed a day at the SA vet for lambing, and absolutely nothing happened:frown: A car would be amazing!
Original post by hannapoole
I agree with this, better grades make a better application right? But I also guess for vetmed that our work exp is just as important as our grades too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes work experience is as important, if not more important in some ways than the grades :smile:. It's in everyones interest to get the best work experience and grades possible :smile:
Reply 666
Yes work experience is as important, if not more important in some ways than the grades :smile:.

Is it better to do lots of 1 week placements at lots of different places or longer placements ie 2/3 weeks at each place but then not as much variety?
Original post by HJames
Is it better to do lots of 1 week placements at lots of different places or longer placements ie 2/3 weeks at each place but then not as much variety?

Long placements are good as people tend to let you do more. Covering the staples is what is most important in enough depth.

Farm- mainly lambing & dairy. Other good places- pigs, chickens, beef farm, even open farms :smile:.

Stables- a range is also good here but not needed, but will only help your application.- stud/racing/riding/livery/breeding.

Kennels/Cattery- both if possible.

Other- LAB work, abattoir, wildlife, zoo, other.

Other- dog groomers, hydrotheraphy, work abroad.

Vets- at least one small animal and one large animal (equine/farm). At least two different vet practices in general. Aim for a minimum of five weeks overall.

The ones in bold are most important, the other things I mentioned are to add spice to your application. Unis like to see lab and abattoir work, even a butchers counts. The variety and amount of vet work is also important. Aim for 6 weeks + other, 4 weeks+ vet. A longer placement even 1 is good, but make sure you cover all the bases in bold to make your application, then add the variety. Each staple place should be a minimum of a weeks experience. :smile: Hope that helps.
Reply 668
Hi guys, sorry I'm a bit late posting on this thread, I just found it :smile: I'm Niamh, I live in London and I've wanted to be a vet for as long as I can remember. The only thing is I can hardly find any work experience seeing as I live in London. I don't mind travelling or staying in accommodation so I was wondering if anyone could maybe contact me with anywhere they know that does work experience. Thank you! :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by niamh28
Hi guys, sorry I'm a bit late posting on this thread, I just found it :smile: I'm Niamh, I live in London and I've wanted to be a vet for as long as I can remember. The only thing is I can hardly find any work experience seeing as I live in London. I don't mind travelling or staying in accommodation so I was wondering if anyone could maybe contact me with anywhere they know that does work experience. Thank you! :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

I know lots of places in Yorkshire, but perhaps too far?
The 'What the Hell is Tails Talking About' saga continues... it IS called an awn :tongue: . Apparently that's roughly 750g of nuts, which is how much a sheep should have each day.

An air ambulance was supposed to land on one of our fields today (as a general fundraising event), but the cloud was 'too low' and they couldn't come in the end :frown: . Great, if I ever decide to have an accident out on the field I'll be sure to choose a day when there's high cloud :rolleyes: :tongue:

I got to inject a piggy with penicillin today :biggrin: A really minor thing but it's the first time I've done it. :colondollar:

The Merck book is really good :biggrin: . At the moment I feel as if it's written in another language, but with the help of my Black's I'm getting there. :smile: At 2400 pages of vetty goodness, it's not something I plan on reading cover to cover, but it's great for dipping into.

Tomorrow I'm going to try my hand at beekeeping, then I'm doing a talk about the goats for a child's birthday party. I'd better stuff as much goat-related info as I can in my head tonight :tongue: !

Original post by vickybootz22
Hi, that would be great if you could PM me any contacts you have. Just trying to get anything I can experience wise at the moment. Thanks

No prob, I'll send that to you in just a second. :smile:

I see, thanks. :smile:

Original post by Chaitoo
Just sacrificed a day at the SA vet for lambing, and absolutely nothing happened:frown: A car would be amazing!

What a pity :frown: . Did you at least get to learn about some of the husbandry?

Original post by niamh28

Hi Niamh! :biggrin: Welcome to the thread :hi:

As a fellow Londoner, I feel your pain :tongue: . Have you managed to get any experience at all so far? If you PM me to let me know whereabouts in London you are as well as the sort of placements you're after I may be able to assist. :smile:
An awn... of nuts.. genius.
I feel sorry for all you Londoners! I can't imagine finding it hard to find farm work etc being from Yorkshire I am surrounded in countryside! Good luck to all of you to finding work exp places!

Posted from TSR Mobile
An awn... of nuts.. genius.

I feel as if I'm missing something here... :redface:

Just seen you PS thread by the way, it's going to be really helpful down the line, thanks a lot! I did giggle at the James Herriot bit though :tongue: .

I feel sorry for all you Londoners! I can't imagine finding it hard to find farm work etc being from Yorkshire I am surrounded in countryside! Good luck to all of you to finding work exp places!

In my experience it isn't finding places that's the problem... it's actually getting there! :tongue: I am up for it; it has to be done, but it can be exhausting after a long day of manual labour...

That said, nobody on the bus wants to sit next to the kid that smells like pig $hit, so my bag is guaranteed a seat next to me :tongue: !

In my experience it isn't finding places that's the problem... it's actually getting there! :tongue: I am up for it; it has to be done, but it can be exhausting after a long day of manual labour...

That said, nobody on the bus wants to sit next to the kid that smells like pig $hit, so my bag is guaranteed a seat next to me :tongue: !

Haha very true, even though, getting there is no problem for me which i feel extremely lucky about! My lambing placement last week was only a five minute drive away although for my LA vet placement it is a 40 minute drive so maybe I feel your pain a little aha!:tongue:
Wooo! The vet I have been going to this week said that I can go every week! It's for 3 hours but it will soon mount up! I'm sooo excited because the practice is amazing!
I seem to have had a really lucky week, today I saw an Enucleation of the eye! I was pretty worried incase I was squeemish (I can be with eyes) but I managed to watch it fine and I really enjoyed it. Sadly the cat passed away afterwards, it was upsetting because we didn't expect it, the operation had gone well and its heart rate had stayed at a good rate apparently.
I saw an orthopaedic operaton on Tuesday as well, it was a cat with a fractured leg! I'm sorry if this is all like, something you see a lot haha but I just found it really exciting :colondollar:
Anyway I am very chuffed! :biggrin:
Crap! I've just realised that my PM inbox has been full for about a week! Apologies to anyone that has tried to send me a message, I've had a clear out so your note should get through now. :smile:

Haha very true, even though, getting there is no problem for me which i feel extremely lucky about! My lambing placement last week was only a five minute drive away although for my LA vet placement it is a 40 minute drive so maybe I feel your pain a little aha!:tongue:

I've been slacking, I was supposed to book a LA vet this Easter and I still haven't done it. :frown: The nearest one is a hour away by train, waaaaah.

Original post by Hollyheartsgoats
Wooo! The vet I have been going to this week said that I can go every week! It's for 3 hours but it will soon mount up! I'm sooo excited because the practice is amazing!
I seem to have had a really lucky week, today I saw an Enucleation of the eye! I was pretty worried incase I was squeemish (I can be with eyes) but I managed to watch it fine and I really enjoyed it. Sadly the cat passed away afterwards, it was upsetting because we didn't expect it, the operation had gone well and its heart rate had stayed at a good rate apparently.
I saw an orthopaedic operaton on Tuesday as well, it was a cat with a fractured leg! I'm sorry if this is all like, something you see a lot haha but I just found it really exciting :colondollar:
Anyway I am very chuffed! :biggrin:

Fantastic news! :biggrin: I'm so happy for you!

It's a shame about the cat, although from the sounds of it there's nothing further that could have been done. These things just happen sometimes. :frown:
Crap! I've just realised that my PM inbox has been full for about a week! Apologies to anyone that has tried to send me a message, I've had a clear out so your note should get through now. :smile:

I've been slacking, I was supposed to book a LA vet this Easter and I still haven't done it. :frown: The nearest one is a hour away by train, waaaaah.

Fantastic news! :biggrin: I'm so happy for you!

It's a shame about the cat, although from the sounds of it there's nothing further that could have been done. These things just happen sometimes. :frown:

Thank you! Well done on the dairy placement for you! You are doing so well for living in London :biggrin: Pretty jealous of your urban farm experience to be honest! :smile: I will have two long term placements now!! RDA and the vets! Soooo happy haha!
Yeah it was a shame, the owners were pretty upset understandably. Fortunately (not that it's very happy) they had insurance so they didn't have to pay for the operaton as that would be very sad! :frown: It isn't the first death I have seen but it's the first unexpected one :/
On a lighter note I hope you have a fantastic time on your dairy placement! :smile:
It
Reply 678
I know lots of places in Yorkshire, but perhaps too far?

Thank you but I think it's a a bit far for me, but if you know any farms that offer accommodation that would be great!

Thank you :smile: you're so lucky! How has work experience been so far? Are the vets/farmers normally friendly?
I feel as if I'm missing something here... :redface:

Just seen you PS thread by the way, it's going to be really helpful down the line, thanks a lot! I did giggle at the James Herriot bit though :tongue: .

I used to love the people's faces when I got on the bus after my dairy farm- wellies and all :biggrin:. Was amazing. Thanks, I wanted to make the thread because it'll hopefully cut down a bit of the work we do when people submit them to us for checking. Plus, its nice to have a bit of a guide.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending