The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2540
Where has he been in big games? He scored 2 against City in the biggest game of the season for us in the league. Scored against Chelsea in the cup, and was excellent against Chelsea in the away game playing deeper as a midfielder.

By that logic goal stats are flawed. If a player hits a shot and it take a deflection from a team mate, the guy who it deflected off gets the goal even if it was on target.
Original post by VQG
Where has he been in big games? He scored 2 against City in the biggest game of the season for us in the league. Scored against Chelsea in the cup, and was excellent against Chelsea in the away game playing deeper as a midfielder.

One was a scuffed shot :biggrin:

The Chelsea goal in the cup was a lucky free kick that fooled everyone in the box :biggrin:

By that logic goal stats are flawed. If a player hits a shot and it take a deflection from a team mate, the guy who it deflected off gets the goal even if it was on target.

Yeah because that happens regularly doesn't it? The only time I can think of that happening is Nani's shot vs Tottenham years ago which skimmed Tevez' head. Not sure who got the goal for that either. There's been others but it happens so rarely it's irrelevant.
Original post by jam277

Would be absolutely terrible. RVP on the wing will not work out considering the way united play. What will happen is that he'll have turd games then be a boss whenever he's put in the centre. He'll be either benched or shoehorned at the expense of other players or another formation.

I dunno. Rooney / Tevez switching for the left wing role during that 4-3-3 formation didn't do team the any harm at all and whilst i think Rooneys overall game may be slightly better, i wouldnt say RvP is behind in terms of flexibility in the way he attacks.

I don't think its a perfect fit but i don't think it would be terrible.

Original post by Wilfred Little
If someone like PSG offered Man. United £30m+ for Rooney they'd be silly not to take it. His fitness is getting worse and worse.

Rofl. I wouldnt touch £30m for Rooney.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Tommyjw
I dunno. Rooney / Tevez switching for the left wing role during that 4-3-3 formation didn't do team the any harm at all and whilst i think Rooneys overall game may be slightly better, i wouldnt say RvP is behind in terms of flexibility in the way he attacks.

Rofl. I wouldnt touch £30m for Rooney.

The thing is that rooney and tevez were absolute workhorses at the time so would be willing to do the wing work. Rooney did have pace on him at the time as well. Don't think he'd work there with your counter attacking style. But you never know I guess.

Although saying that I've not seen falcao play on the wing too. Usually he's in the centre getting on the end of things, holding up the ball and getting shots in. Think he'd be ineffective there too.

I would take 35-40 million for him. Maybe next year 30mill would be a good deal because of his contract situation. Think he's going this year or next year.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by jam277
The thing is that rooney and tevez were absolute workhorses at the time so would be willing to do the wing work. Rooney did have pace on him at the time as well. Don't think he'd work there with your counter attacking style. But you never know I guess.

Although saying that I've not seen falcao play on the wing too. Usually he's in the centre getting on the end of things, holding up the ball and getting shots in. Think he'd be ineffective there too.

Meh, very true.

All in all i can see how it could work but i don't trust that it would work (to a good enough extent) to understand why this would happen.

If there is any substantiation i still reckon its just pushing his price up.
Reply 2545
One was a scuffed shot :biggrin:

The Chelsea goal in the cup was a lucky free kick that fooled everyone in the box :biggrin:

Scuffed shot which went exactly where it was intended.

Yeah because that happens regularly doesn't it? The only time I can think of that happening is Nani's shot vs Tottenham years ago which skimmed Tevez' head. Not sure who got the goal for that either. There's been others but it happens so rarely it's irrelevant.

And how often do you see players taking out 2 defenders, then laying it off for someone else to square it? I'd say it's about as common as the first one - especially for us. I can't think of one Rooney assist coming from that kind of scenario.

By the way Falcao has scored 8 penalties this season. Rooney has scored 3 and missed two so Falcao has received 3 more penalties this season. Obviously penalty taking is a good attribute to have but it's not something worth upgrading a player for.
Original post by VQG
Scuffed shot which went exactly where it was intended.

No it didn't. If it was, it wouldn't have been a "scuffed" shot.

And how often do you see players taking out 2 defenders, then laying it off for someone else to square it? I'd say it's about as common as the first one - especially for us. I can't think of one Rooney assist coming from that kind of scenario.

How many passes are involved in the build up to a goal and how often is it the final pass that is the killer pass? Assist stats are much more flawed than goal stats mate. Iniesta has 14 assists this season. Sanchez has 10, are they at similar levels in terms of playmaking? No. Statistics do not paint the full picture in football.

By the way Falcao has scored 8 penalties this season. Rooney has scored 3 and missed two so Falcao has received 3 more penalties this season. Obviously penalty taking is a good attribute to have but it's not something worth upgrading a player for.

Falcao would definitely be an improvement and I think it's unlikely with Fletcher being ill, Anderson being Anderson and Scholes retiring that Ferguson won't buy another midfielder so considering the midfield is likely to be strengthened I don't see why another midfielder + Kagawa can't fill the role Rooney currently occupies.
Guillem Balague is not reliable.

Don't believe we're ever spending this much money on a player.
Falcao would definitely be an improvement and I think it's unlikely with Fletcher being ill, Anderson being Anderson and Scholes retiring that Ferguson won't buy another midfielder so considering the midfield is likely to be strengthened I don't see why another midfielder + Kagawa can't fill the role Rooney currently occupies.

Yeah, but this has been an issue for years and he still hasn't done it. I'm sure Fletcher will be fit at the start of the season and he'll say 'He's like a new signing'.

I can see it now.
Original post by jam277

Would be absolutely terrible. RVP on the wing will not work out considering the way united play. What will happen is that he'll have turd games then be a boss whenever he's put in the centre. He'll be either benched or shoehorned at the expense of other players or another formation.

I don't agree with it either but I don't think it'll be terrible. Couldn't really think of a much better way to get Rooney/Falcao/RVP all in the front line unless you go diamond with RVP/Falcao at the top with Rooney behind. Like it's been discussed here, if Falcao comes in then Rooney may have to go (I wouldn't really agree or want that but yeah).
Original post by NathanW18
Guillem Balague is not reliable.

How is he not reliable? For a start he got our very own Ateltico player completely correct last year before anyone else even knew about it.
Original post by Tommyjw
How is he not reliable? For a start he got our very own Ateltico player completely correct last year before anyone else even knew about it.

Wasn't he 100% certain we were signing Torres a few years back?
Original post by Tommyjw

He repeatedly claimed United were going to sign Torres, swore blind on radio it was going to happen and nowt happened. He knows absolutely **** all, his sources are merely the papers.

http://www.redcafe.net/f9/balague-confirms-torres-joining-utd-116442/

Got De Gea right. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Original post by The Assassin
I don't agree with it either but I don't think it'll be terrible. Couldn't really think of a much better way to get Rooney/Falcao/RVP all in the front line unless you go diamond with RVP/Falcao at the top with Rooney behind. Like it's been discussed here, if Falcao comes in then Rooney may have to go (I wouldn't really agree or want that but yeah).

Yeah a diamond would work, but a winger formation would not work I think without drastically changing their style of play.
Sigh. Rooney's staying.
He repeatedly claimed United were going to sign Torres, swore blind on radio it was going to happen and nowt happened. He knows absolutely **** all, his sources are merely the papers.

http://www.redcafe.net/f9/balague-confirms-torres-joining-utd-116442/

Got De Gea right. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

His sources are papers even though the things he says aren't in the papers? Good logic.

People moaned about whats-his-face claiming so factually we were signing Lucas Moura. Turns out we literally were about to sign him so it was a legit claim. I also doubt this is the first ever example of such a thing.

Things change. Guarantee if we were updated every two weeks by SAF himself about who we were going to sign there would be many ones that didn't turn out to happen if we go back on it.
Reply 2556
No it didn't. If it was, it wouldn't have been a "scuffed" shot.

It went in the bottom corner. Where else would he intend it to go?

How many passes are involved in the build up to a goal and how often is it the final pass that is the killer pass? Assist stats are much more flawed than goal stats mate. Iniesta has 14 assists this season. Sanchez has 10, are they at similar levels in terms of playmaking? No. Statistics do not paint the full picture in football.

Sanchez has 11 assists this season and Iniesta has 23 - including 2 for Spain. Assists aren't a coincidence if you play in that area of the pitch.

I disagree. I like Kagawa but the jury's still out on him. He doesn't link up with our midfielders as well as Rooney, and I don't think he could drop deep and help out (Chelsea away, City away) like Rooney does.

Falcao is a great player but I don't think he'd be an improvement to this team - as I don't think Falcao is the type of player we need. Plus it'll also mean another few years of the 4-4-2 which is a system I hope we're trying to move away from.

I'd swap Rooney for someone like Fabregas though. He'd improve our weakest point in the team immensely, and also replace Rooney's goals and assists.
Original post by Tommyjw
His sources are papers even though the things he says aren't in the papers? Good logic.

Right so you post an hour ago a "breaking" tweet by Balague despite the fact that Marca broke the news almost two days ago?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BHcsXVRCIAAuqjZ.jpg:large
Right so you post an hour ago a "breaking" tweet by Balague despite the fact that Marca broke the news almost two days ago?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BHcsXVRCIAAuqjZ.jpg:large

Marca article claiming chicharito + cash and to be discussed at end of summer and they might have to put a payment down

Balague claiming United have definitively already put money down like for De Gea

Yep, definitely the exact same story :rolleyes:
Original post by Tommyjw
Marca article claiming chicharito + cash and to be discussed at end of summer and they might have to put a payment down

Balague claiming United have definitively already put money down like for De Gea

Yep, definitely the exact same story :rolleyes:

You said it wasn't in the papers.

the things he says aren't in the papers?

The possibility of signing Falcao and payment being put down wasn't in the papers? Yes it was. It was being reported the possibility of a payment being made before Balague tweeted it. There is almost no difference between "might put a payment down" and "they've put a payment down", he's merely took an already running story and said it's definitely true.

Stop moving the goal posts.

Latest