The Student Room Group

Do you actually LEARN anything in class? or do i just have crap teachers

whenever it comes to revision, it's like it's just me teaching my self from the notes infront of me that we've written from class. Maybe my teachers are just crap but it's not just me, i've spoken to my friends and they feel like we don't actually learn in class either. I feel as though if I didn't go to the lessons, but still got the notes, i would come out with the same results as i seem to be teaching myself it anyway. Anyone else?
I teach myself a lot of things before exams but my teachers are all really good! I think that partly I don't listen in lessons as much as I could and also I don't think that every single things actually gets taught to us in the first place. In the majority of my subjects I could probably do just as well in the exams if I was completely teaching it to myself too, so you're not alone! :smile:
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean.
My maths teacher was so bad that he got fired the same year. He missed out whole chapters of the course.

For A-level I found it best to learn in my own time and if I went to lessons I would use them as revision.
I got in a lot of trouble for poor attendance but then got AAA* so it seems I knew best in the end. Do what you think is right for you. Don't let teachers tell you what's best.

Now I'm in uni my lecturers are amazing, so it does get better :smile:
Reply 3
Its been hard to pay attention at school/college/uni during classes for me as I always knew i was an independent learner so always revised hard on my own at the end of the year

I sometimes wonder if I could have got through the whole education system without teachers, its certainly possible after primary school i would say
Reply 4
Practically self-taught myself half of A2 Biology, had a private tutor for A2 Chemistry - but did have good teachers tbh, and i had an AMAZING teacher for A2 Maths. I learn't nothing in class though. The pace was too fast, i can't learn mathematics when it's that quick and teachers - understandably- can't help me with specific questions.

However, out of class when i organised one on one maths with them, and they could show me the logic in a variety of unfamiliar contexts, i loved it.

I personally believe everyone could get an A at Maths if they had a one on one private tutor who spent maybe 10 minutes with them , per week, out of lesson hours going through one or two key exam questions.
Reply 5
Original post by MALL COP
Its been hard to pay attention at school/college/uni during classes for me as I always knew i was an independent learner so always revised hard on my own at the end of the year

I sometimes wonder if I could have got through the whole education system without teachers, its certainly possible after primary school i would say

Easily possible in the internet age. Knowledge is not this esoteric power that only teachers can pass down. Knowledge is simple absorbing of information, and then the application of it must be practiced.

Good teachers however, can present it in a manner you are able to absorb and understand it best, without confusing concepts which can later cloud your understanding of other concepts which needed fundamentals or previous content you initially misunderstood to understand.
Reply 6
Original post by therisenmitten
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean.
My maths teacher was so bad that he got fired the same year. He missed out whole chapters of the course.

For A-level I found it best to learn in my own time and if I went to lessons I would use them as revision.
I got in a lot of trouble for poor attendance but then got AAA* so it seems I knew best in the end. Do what you think is right for you. Don't let teachers tell you what's best.

Now I'm in uni my lecturers are amazing, so it does get better :smile:

Let every student read that a hundred times. Please do this. Learn it all at home, and let the lessons reinforce your understanding - ask the harder questions in class which you could not do by yourself at home.
Original post by _molly
whenever it comes to revision, it's like it's just me teaching my self from the notes infront of me that we've written from class. Maybe my teachers are just crap but it's not just me, i've spoken to my friends and they feel like we don't actually learn in class either. I feel as though if I didn't go to the lessons, but still got the notes, i would come out with the same results as i seem to be teaching myself it anyway. Anyone else?

I learn things in some lessons, others I just have to teach myself, but I hate the fact that my good results will be associated with that crap teacher.
In Maths particularly, I learn from the teachers as they take me through the exam techniques and things. I could probably get a pass or an alright grade without them but they push me to get higher. Then in Physics we have this awesome teacher who just teaches it so well, at the start I was predicted a B but now an A* and alot of that is down to him just taking the time to explain stuff well..

The other physics teacher I have is less good though, so I could probably do his part of the course without him. :colondollar:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Yes, I basically just day dream in all my lessons!!!!!!! Thats Bio, Chem, geog and Maths. I just cant concentrate in lessons no matter how hard I try! They just bore me to death. But i can still understand everything with the rescources they give us and the text book! Especially for biology, Just learn the text book and you will be fine! :smile:
I learn some stuff, but I tend to learn more in revision classes or when I'm at home revising myself. After a while maybe I just lose concentration in lessons, but I definitely learn more content when doing past papers and revising...
I don't think I've learnt anything in school for a long time... Except in geography maybe? And that I can do by myself anyway.
I have crap teachers too so i know what you mean.
My maths teacher is constantly praising/paying more attention to the people who get A's and it knocks my confidence in the subject alot, i just get help from those who understand or self teach.
My chemistry teacher just copies the textbook in a powerpoint, reads everything out and then tells us to read the textbook if we don't understand :confused:
My biology teacher... well, we've had 4 in the last 2 terms alone, they keep changing them and its so hard to keep up.
I just learn from my notes, TSR and revision websites.
It depends how you learn because some teachers aren't as smooth in their teaching to cover all learning styles but I do find it much easier to revise and learn it by myself at home rather than all the distractions in class

jojotheflower, meow, over and out
Reply 14
My teacher's are great at teaching and they try their best to use a variety of learning styles to engage everyone. But unfortunately whilst everyone else may find things like group tasks, acting things out (walking around a classroom pretending to be an electron just not aid my understanding lol) and word searches it just doesn't work for me. It's dull but I prefer to sit in front of a textbook/powerpoint presentation and just write notes. Plus I feel like the pace in lessons is way too fast. We cover huge amounts in two hours and it's so overwhelming.
In Geography I feel exactly the same, know nothing until I get to actually write notes in revision time.
I feel the same, for biology i have to learn everything from the book, but for 2 of my a level subjects there isn't really any text books so i have to go to the lessons.
I also have **** teachers for all of my subjects, but I also have very good teachers too (two teachers per subject). I've found that although you can easily do well with crap teachers, having good teachers to provide alternative explanations to topics you may find hard is really helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
I feel the same for most subjects, especially Linguistics. I've had crap teachers for 4 years now and I'm currently re-teaching myself everything for the exam. :frown:
If you ask something they just say "look in the textbook" but the textbooks are too complicated!
I ended up asking fellow students for advice. They recommended easier textbooks. :smile:
Depends
Physics = Some self taught, some class notes
Biology = Self taught
Chemistry = both
geography = Self taught
Classics = class
ICT = no revision whatsoever yet

Perfect question for procrastination!

USING THE TSR APP

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending