The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2040
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
You should never let competition stand in your way - as soon as you put yourself down, you're counting yourself out before you've even tried. We all have the ability to achieve something great, it's whether you actually work towards that that makes the difference. There's no such thing as a 'talent' that sets some people ahead of others: it's a matter of hard work and determination that sets people apart - not that one person is "made" for it, and the other person isn't.

"Our greatest fear isn't that we are inadequate: it is that we are powerful beyond imagination."

Fortunately there's none of that in medicine! But you do have to take Chemistry A level to get in, unfortunately. :tongue:

Thank you! There are lots and lots of careers that allow you to help people. :yes:
I had no idea what I wanted to do at your stage. I hope you find that thing for you, though.

Sorry for butting in... where do you study medicine:colondollar:
Original post by EduWiz
Sorry for butting in... where do you study medicine:colondollar:

I have a sig with all these details in it, chump. :tongue:

Edinbuuurgh.
Reply 2042
I have a sig with all these details in it, chump. :tongue:

Edinbuuurgh.

Sorry didn't notice it :biggrin:

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2043
Omg! Everyone go update your TSR app! It's amazing!!! Seriously!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2044
Original post by EduWiz
:dontknow::ninja:

IT WAS YOU! :eek: It's not as if I'm not a year eleven or anything...
Reply 2045
You should never let competition stand in your way - as soon as you put yourself down, you're counting yourself out before you've even tried. We all have the ability to achieve something great, it's whether you actually work towards that that makes the difference. There's no such thing as a 'talent' that sets some people ahead of others: it's a matter of hard work and determination that sets people apart - not that one person is "made" for it, and the other person isn't.

"Our greatest fear isn't that we are inadequate: it is that we are powerful beyond imagination."

Fortunately there's none of that in medicine! But you do have to take Chemistry A level to get in, unfortunately. :tongue:

Thank you! There are lots and lots of careers that allow you to help people. :yes:
I had no idea what I wanted to do at your stage. I hope you find that thing for you, though.

Haha thank you for that! It's really made me feel a bit more optimistic for the future. When did you realise what you wanted to do? :smile: Everything just seems so out of reach right now, I guess once i have at least my grades I can ... Think ahead. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile OMG THIS NEW APP IS SO COOL. I'm DYING.
Reply 2046
Original post by Vionar
IT WAS YOU! :eek: It's not as if I'm not a year eleven or anything...

ahaha im sorry i take it back :sorry:

Spoiler

Original post by Jina
Haha thank you for that! It's really made me feel a bit more optimistic for the future. When did you realise what you wanted to do? :smile: Everything just seems so out of reach right now, I guess once i have at least my grades I can ... Think ahead. :smile:

Mad props Jina, you've averaged 102 posts per day.
I think that's a record :tongue:
Reply 2048
Original post by Jina

Are you dead yet:tongue:
Reply 2049
did an hour's worth of revision and i feel quite proud of myself...
Reply 2050
Original post by Elm Tree
Mad props Jina, you've averaged 102 posts per day.
I think that's a record :tongue:

Haha thank you, thank you. *bows*... Must be withdrawal symptoms from deleting TWO twitter accounts for my exams.
I must lead a sad existence.

Reply 2051
Original post by EduWiz
Are you dead yet:tongue:

Haha one more update and it'll finish me.

Reply 2052
Original post by Jina

haha lol
Original post by Mr.Nor
did an hour's worth of revision and i feel quite proud of myself...

:woo:3 and a bit done:woo:
Original post by Jina
Omg! Everyone go update your TSR app! It's amazing!!! Seriously!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Jina

I take it the app has improved by chancee?:tongue:
Original post by EduWiz
Sorry didn't notice it :biggrin:

Spoiler

Scroll up to anyone's first post on a page: on the right of their post will be a little blue circle with an upside-down triangle. Click on it. Glory.

Original post by Jina

Then make sure you work for the grades: wouldn't it be tragic for your options to be limited just because you felt too lazy to study hard?

I was at the end of 4th year (15-16), and reading around subjects. I didn't really have a clue what I wanted to do, but knew it was something sciencey since those were my favourite subjects. I considered lots and lots of different natural science subjects: and lots and lots of them appealed to me.

I was really into House at the time, so I thought "I wonder what you need to do to be a doctor?", went away onto google: "medicine". "Okay, medicine sounds cool, too." I decided to aim for medicine since the entry requirements for medicine included sciences, and thus I knew I could study the subjects I like and still have my options open to go for my true loves of science, in case I decided medicine wasn't for me - because a I was aware that I had no real clue what medicine was like - I still don't have much of a clue.

So, obviously I had considering medicine because I thought House's job was cool, but unfortunately his job doesn't exist in the real world, so I had to go away and learn more about it for myself...and tada, I found TSR halfway through 5th year when I started to take my future seriously. I got scared my the insane competition that was preached here, considered not even bothering, but decided to go for it anyway - did all the stuff they told me to: volunteering, work experience, etc., and still thought medicine sounded like a sweet deal afterwards. It had everything that I liked: it had lots of science to learn; it was a job focused around people who I love to interact with; it was a job based around helping people; it wasn't a job where I'd be rendered sedentary; and it was a job where I'd be stuck learning for my entire life. It combined together lots of things that I liked, so thought it was a good idea to stick with it.

Fast forward two years and I'm in my first semester of medical school: still not sure if it's for me.
Fast forward another half a year to now, and I'm super sure that I've made the right decision, am happy where I am, and know that I want to be a doctor, and also know that if clinical medicine isn't for me, I STILL have the option of pursuing the science that I love. :tongue:

Original post by Jina
Haha thank you, thank you. *bows*... Must be withdrawal symptoms from deleting TWO twitter accounts for my exams.
I must lead a sad existence.

I don't think it's effective if you just replace Twitter with something else. :colonhash:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2056
Original post by MattFletcher
:woo:3 and a bit done:woo:

haha good for you :tongue:
Reply 2057
Scroll up to anyone's first post on a page: on the right of their post will be a little blue circle with an upside-down triangle. Click on it. Glory.

WHAT :lolwut: i dont understand...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Mr.Nor
haha good for you :tongue:

IT MEANS FREE AFTERNOON! :party2::woo:
Original post by EduWiz
WHAT :lolwut: i dont understand...

See my post right here?

See how there's a horizontal line separating my post from the rep and quote buttons?
Look on the right-hand side of that line.

Latest