The Student Room Group
Student in halls, Buckinghamshire New University
Buckinghamshire New University
High Wycombe

Is Buckinghamshire New Uni a good Uni?

Hello,

In need of any helpful advice on Buckinghamshire New Uni?
Also anyone thinking of studying there in September?
:smile:
Reply 1
heres some helpful advice, pick another uni. its been a massive waste of 3 years of my life
Student in halls, Buckinghamshire New University
Buckinghamshire New University
High Wycombe
Original post by djlinus
heres some helpful advice, pick another uni. its been a massive waste of 3 years of my life

Really, why?
Reply 3
Hi there! :smile: When you say good, in what context do you mean? Like teaching, accommodation, nightlife? Also, what course are you planning on taking?
Original post by sophie27891
Hi there! :smile: When you say good, in what context do you mean? Like teaching, accommodation, nightlife? Also, what course are you planning on taking?

Hiya, I mean like everything haha I was just to lazy to write it all. But yh in particular the accommodation & nightlife? I've applied for Psychology & Criminology. Do you study there or looking to study there? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by bronemillie
Hiya, I mean like everything haha I was just to lazy to write it all. But yh in particular the accommodation & nightlife? I've applied for Psychology & Criminology. Do you study there or looking to study there? :smile:

Haha no worries! Okay well to start I'm a final year Psychology student, so I have 2 months left here :smile:

Accommodation at Bucks works on the principle that if your home address is more than 25 miles away then you will get priority for halls. Personally, I didn't live in halls because I came through clearing. But, there are 4 to pick from; Brook Street, Hughenden, Alexandra House and Windsor House. The last two only became halls this academic year, so I don't know much about them. But Brook Street is in town and is the cheapest of all the accommodation, it's 6-8 to a flat and you share 1-2 bathrooms. It is more known for being the party halls! Hughenden is a little bit outside town, around 15 minute, or there is a bus stop outside with a free bus to campus. It's much newer than Brook Street and is a bit quieter. The majority of my friends lived here and I spend a large chunk of my first year here! :smile: If you're not interested in halls, uni do have a selection of houses called Head tennacy scheme, but I personally lived in one and wouldn't recommend it, Or you could of course private rent. I would highly recommend halls though :smile:

The nightlife really isn't amazing here. In terms of what there is in town there is the SU, Yates, The Antelope and lots of little pubs. The SU is fun to begin with, but you will begin to notice how samey it becomes!! There is revolutions in Beaconsfield which isn't too far to travel and is a much better night out! So, if you're mainly interested in living the party lifestyle, I wouldn't really recommend it!

Just as a side note for your course choice. I can't personally comment on the sociology side as I only took a forced module in 1st year and hated it (sorry!) But, the Psychology department is amazing! It's a really small uni so lecturers tend to know you by name, not number. Whilst the uni may not be high up in the ranks the Psychology department is! :smile:

If there's anything else, just ask :smile: Hope it helps! Soph x
Haha no worries! Okay well to start I'm a final year Psychology student, so I have 2 months left here :smile:

Accommodation at Bucks works on the principle that if your home address is more than 25 miles away then you will get priority for halls. Personally, I didn't live in halls because I came through clearing. But, there are 4 to pick from; Brook Street, Hughenden, Alexandra House and Windsor House. The last two only became halls this academic year, so I don't know much about them. But Brook Street is in town and is the cheapest of all the accommodation, it's 6-8 to a flat and you share 1-2 bathrooms. It is more known for being the party halls! Hughenden is a little bit outside town, around 15 minute, or there is a bus stop outside with a free bus to campus. It's much newer than Brook Street and is a bit quieter. The majority of my friends lived here and I spend a large chunk of my first year here! :smile: If you're not interested in halls, uni do have a selection of houses called Head tennacy scheme, but I personally lived in one and wouldn't recommend it, Or you could of course private rent. I would highly recommend halls though :smile:

The nightlife really isn't amazing here. In terms of what there is in town there is the SU, Yates, The Antelope and lots of little pubs. The SU is fun to begin with, but you will begin to notice how samey it becomes!! There is revolutions in Beaconsfield which isn't too far to travel and is a much better night out! So, if you're mainly interested in living the party lifestyle, I wouldn't really recommend it!

Just as a side note for your course choice. I can't personally comment on the sociology side as I only took a forced module in 1st year and hated it (sorry!) But, the Psychology department is amazing! It's a really small uni so lecturers tend to know you by name, not number. Whilst the uni may not be high up in the ranks the Psychology department is! :smile:

If there's anything else, just ask :smile: Hope it helps! Soph x

Hiya, firstly thank you that was all really helpful and I appreciate it :smile:
I'm entitled to apply for halls as I live quite a long way from the Uni, Hughenden appeals to me the most purely because there are en-suites, however I like the idea that Brook Street is the party place! But I can still visit there can't I?

Ahh I am disappointed about the bad night-life as I'm a bit of a party girl, haha but I guess that will give me more time to study!:cool: I'm sooo glad the Psychology department is good! That was my massive worry! But you have now re-assured me!

Thank you so so much for your help! x
Reply 7
Hiya, firstly thank you that was all really helpful and I appreciate it :smile:
I'm entitled to apply for halls as I live quite a long way from the Uni, Hughenden appeals to me the most purely because there are en-suites, however I like the idea that Brook Street is the party place! But I can still visit there can't I?

Ahh I am disappointed about the bad night-life as I'm a bit of a party girl, haha but I guess that will give me more time to study!:cool: I'm sooo glad the Psychology department is good! That was my massive worry! But you have now re-assured me!

Thank you so so much for your help! x

No worries at all! :smile: You can still visit other halls yeah :smile: Basically there is a security on the door most of the time, and you just need to sign in with your student ID. But, realistically, if you look like a student, chances are they assume that you live there! Haha. I used to just walk into Hughenden all the time and never get ID'd because they just assume you live there! :P
Also, I'm pretty sure that Windsor house are en-suite rooms too :smile:

And in terms of partying, don't get me wrong, I know some people who have spend the whole three years going to the SU every night. It's just that the majority of people find it quite samey!

For Psychology, I'm not sure if you've seen these, but you might find them helpful http://bucks.ac.uk/whoswho/school_of_social_sciences/psychology/#meettheteam Not all of the academic staff are on this list, but it gives you a brief idea of the types of lecturers we have. There is also https://www.facebook.com/pages/Buckinghamshire-New-University-Psychology-Department/364556116968543?fref=ts which you also might find useful :smile:
Anything else, just ask :smile: Soph x
No worries at all! :smile: You can still visit other halls yeah :smile: Basically there is a security on the door most of the time, and you just need to sign in with your student ID. But, realistically, if you look like a student, chances are they assume that you live there! Haha. I used to just walk into Hughenden all the time and never get ID'd because they just assume you live there! :P
Also, I'm pretty sure that Windsor house are en-suite rooms too :smile:

And in terms of partying, don't get me wrong, I know some people who have spend the whole three years going to the SU every night. It's just that the majority of people find it quite samey!

For Psychology, I'm not sure if you've seen these, but you might find them helpful http://bucks.ac.uk/whoswho/school_of_social_sciences/psychology/#meettheteam Not all of the academic staff are on this list, but it gives you a brief idea of the types of lecturers we have. There is also https://www.facebook.com/pages/Buckinghamshire-New-University-Psychology-Department/364556116968543?fref=ts which you also might find useful :smile:
Anything else, just ask :smile: Soph x

Ahh ok thank you very much! Also i'm thinking of changing courses to Business & Marketing. Do you know anything about the Business department? Thanks again for your help :smile:x
Reply 9
Ahh ok thank you very much! Also i'm thinking of changing courses to Business & Marketing. Do you know anything about the Business department? Thanks again for your help :smile:x

Hiya,
I'm really sorry, unfortunately I don't really know much about the Business department :frown:
My best suggestion would be to come to an open day, or to maybe investigate further on here, if others are studying it.
Sorry that's not much help! :frown: But, I hope you decide what to do!
S x
No. It's a ****hole, it's in a scummy town and the buildings look like they were made out of asbestos and chewing gum.

Don't waste your money. I have never understood why people are so willing to throw money at such a terrible investment.
Hello,

In need of any helpful advice on Buckinghamshire New Uni?
Also anyone thinking of studying there in September?
:smile:

Hi I'm studying business and marketing I went to the open day for business and finance but I preferred the business and marketing course the staff where rele nice and the students I spoke to loved the department but if you dont like the marketing side you can switch to business and finance or advertisment etc. Iv also applied for the Hughenden accom Iv heard brook street is really noisy and lots of people moved rooms and went to Hughenden instead. I just hope I get the accomadation I want
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending