The Student Room Group

Minimum distance:

Resolved.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Joshmeid
I have the equation of a curve: x=e2t+t+2x = e^{-2t} + t + 2 where t0t \geq 0.

I am asked to find the minimum distance between the curve and the origin, now the way I'd usually tackle this is by constructing a triangle then finding the distance through Pythagoras, in this case I only have two reference points, where t=0t = 0 and the origin - So I'm not really sure where to start.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm, just went for the minimum point of the curve and have actually successfully answered the question, never mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Joshmeid
Hmm, just went for the minimum point of the curve and have actually successfully answered the question, never mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough.

BUT, the value of x for which the distance from the curve is a minimum, is not the same as when the curve is a minimum. In fact it's rather an horrendous equation, which can probably only be solved numerically.
Reply 3
Original post by ghostwalker
Fair enough.

BUT, the value of x for which the distance from the curve is a minimum, is not the same as when the curve is a minimum. In fact it's rather an horrendous equation, which can probably only be solved numerically.

Exactly, but it was a show that question, I assume it was a poorly worded question and in fact was asking for the minimum point of the curve.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest