The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Will not having A levels set me back?

I'm studying with the OU at the moment for a psychology degree, I went straight onto doing this from GCSEs and then a one year apprenticeship where I gained an NVQ level 2 so I have no a levels. I'm hoping to go onto postgraduate study at a brick Uni or a graduate training scheme after I finish my degree but will my lack of A levels set me back?
Reply 1
Hope not.

I'm in the same position, I want to go onto postgraduate and I don't have A levels.

I cant imagine a uni turning someone down with a degree just cause they didn't do A levels years ago, surely It's the classification and subject of the degree that matters.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Depends on the degree. Some require a lot of prior knowledge in the subject (especially the hard sciences) while others more or less depend on your learning and reasoning abilities. For psychology, I'd say a good foundation in biology, mathematics, and perhaps sociology may be beneficial.
Reply 3
Some graduate training schemes require certain UCAS points. You might find your options are limited there even after completing a degree.
Reply 4
Thank you all for your help. Do you reckon I should be trying to gain some A levels while I do my degree?
I think the most likely things I'll want to be doing afterwards is either a Master of Nursing course or a PGCE....do you think these are likely to need A levels?
Reply 5
Original post by SpottedZebra
Thank you all for your help. Do you reckon I should be trying to gain some A levels while I do my degree?
I think the most likely things I'll want to be doing afterwards is either a Master of Nursing course or a PGCE....do you think these are likely to need A levels?

This is probably a good idea. It's what I'll have to do if i wanna go onto masters.

Look at the uni websites that your thinking of applying to for the entry requirements of the masters you wanna do, i have and now know what i need to get in.
Reply 6
Original post by louise6427
This is probably a good idea. It's what I'll have to do if i wanna go onto masters.

Look at the uni websites that your thinking of applying to for the entry requirements of the masters you wanna do, i have and now know what i need to get in.

Thanks.....do you know whether if you need A levels for a postgrad course, it will always say on the entry requirements? I'm worried some might not say, then I'll apply and get rejected because of it.
Reply 7
This is the problem I'm having (finding the entry requirements).

Sorry I've only been looking at physics and astrophysics but most unis I've looked at so far require at least 2 A*/AA A levels. This seems the best place to study A levels online and the cheapest :smile:

http://www.oxfordcollege.ac/courses/a-level-courses

Some say get in contact to find out if you have the requirements so maybe that's what you should do.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Thanks.....do you know whether if you need A levels for a postgrad course, it will always say on the entry requirements? I'm worried some might not say, then I'll apply and get rejected because of it.

Email them and ask - but when you do you must make it clear you're applying in future years as otherwise you may just get answers like "the deadline has passed" or "there are no more spaces, sorry".
Reply 9
This is the problem I'm having (finding the entry requirements).

Sorry I've only been looking at physics and astrophysics but most unis I've looked at so far require at least 2 A*/AA A levels. This seems the best place to study A levels online and the cheapest :smile:

http://www.oxfordcollege.ac/courses/a-level-courses

Some say get in contact to find out if you have the requirements so maybe that's what you should do.

Thank you :smile: is that undergrad or postgrad courses that you've found with those entry requirements?
Reply 10
Original post by Juno
Email them and ask - but when you do you must make it clear you're applying in future years as otherwise you may just get answers like "the deadline has passed" or "there are no more spaces, sorry".

thanks, I emailed and got a reply saying a levels aren't needed for the particular postgrad degree Im interested in. But debating whether to do a levels anyway, as other applicants will have them
Reply 11
thanks, I emailed and got a reply saying a levels aren't needed for the particular postgrad degree Im interested in. But debating whether to do a levels anyway, as other applicants will have them

The other thing to worrying about is funding. Many people get grants to pay their postgrad fees as otherwise it's very expensive. Will you be eligible for sources of funding without A Levels? People do struggle to obtain funding, so you won't want to limit your options.
Reply 12
Original post by Juno
The other thing to worrying about is funding. Many people get grants to pay their postgrad fees as otherwise it's very expensive. Will you be eligible for sources of funding without A Levels? People do struggle to obtain funding, so you won't want to limit your options.

Thank you, I will look into that :smile: I think everyone on the course is funded by an NHS bursary but I will have a look :smile:
Thank you :smile: is that undergrad or postgrad courses that you've found with those entry requirements?

I was looking at masters when I found those requirements but some just want a first or 2:1 degree.
Reply 14
I was looking at masters when I found those requirements but some just want a first or 2:1 degree.

Ahh ok, all the ones I've looked at only ask for a degree but I guess physics is pretty competitive :smile:
Ahh ok, all the ones I've looked at only ask for a degree but I guess physics is pretty competitive :smile:

I know, one of the hardest thing to study too :bawling:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
I know, one of the hardest thing to study too :bawling:

Good luck in getting in anyway :smile: I'm sure you can do it!
Good luck in getting in anyway :smile: I'm sure you can do it!

Aww thank you :smile: Good luck too.

Quick Reply

Latest