The Student Room Group

I still suck after learning to drive for 2 years

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I agree that different people learn in different ways. I kept the same guy for ages, and failed 9 times on my test!
I changed instructor for the last month before my next one, and passed.
Reply 21
I feel very similar to you, it's coming up to a year and a half for me. I feel like I've been driving for so long that once I smooth out on mistake, I pick up another, and it's pretty much a never-ending in cycle. My instructor said I can drive but I'm inconsistent, so one week I'm great and one week I suck. I think maybe just booking my test and having a lot of lessons in a short space of time is what might work best for people in our situation.
Reply 22
Original post by H0ls
I feel very similar to you, it's coming up to a year and a half for me. I feel like I've been driving for so long that once I smooth out on mistake, I pick up another, and it's pretty much a never-ending in cycle. My instructor said I can drive but I'm inconsistent, so one week I'm great and one week I suck. I think maybe just booking my test and having a lot of lessons in a short space of time is what might work best for people in our situation.

You just described me perfectly.

I've done mock tests and passed with no real issues, and then the next week made mistakes that would have killed people.

My mum's agreed to pay for one lesson a week for me, so I can afford to have two a week now, which I think will help. I'm going to try and book my test tonight, because I do think having a deadline to focus on will help me a lot, and I can always put it back a few weeks if I don't feel ready.
Reply 23
Original post by dendodge
You just described me perfectly.

I've done mock tests and passed with no real issues, and then the next week made mistakes that would have killed people.

My mum's agreed to pay for one lesson a week for me, so I can afford to have two a week now, which I think will help. I'm going to try and book my test tonight, because I do think having a deadline to focus on will help me a lot, and I can always put it back a few weeks if I don't feel ready.

It really does suck when everyone is passing and you're not :frown:. I'm the same, in december all I had to do was nail my manoeuvres and I was ready for my test. I'm now doing all sorts of ridiculous stuff, going into third and not first, one time I even forgot to give way to the right. I think we're probably in the same boat. I feel like there's no point having lessons as I don't need to "learn" anything anymore, as I can pick up on where I'm going wrong. I might book my test too, although I'll wait until after a level exams but it really does suck. I thought about giving up but I've spent so much already that I can't. We'll do this together :biggrin:
Reply 24
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
What about sports? Crafts? Hand/eye coordination?

Sorry, but if you don't have it down after TWO YEARS of practising something's wrong. I had 11 practise lessons spread over 4 weeks before I did the mandatory ones (we have a different system here in Germany) before passing my test with flying colours.

I exercise, but I hate sport. I write, which is kind of a craft, and I'm working on making a plushie. But I'm not sure what those things have to do with driving.
My hand-eye co-ordination isn't great, but it's not the worst ever.

I'm capable of driving around, I'm just not consistent enough to pass the test yet. (And it's actually been more like a year and a half, I guess. I haven't actually counted the months.)

Not everybody is you, and some people find things more difficult. Yes, I find driving hard. I couldn't pass my test as quickly as you, which is a shame because my lessons are costing me a lot of money. But I'm going to pass eventually - everybody does in the end, it just sometimes takes a while.
I was just kinda hoping someone could say something useful, rather than "Maybe you should just give up, and by the way I find it easy."
Reply 25
Original post by H0ls
It really does suck when everyone is passing and you're not :frown:. I'm the same, in december all I had to do was nail my manoeuvres and I was ready for my test. I'm now doing all sorts of ridiculous stuff, going into third and not first, one time I even forgot to give way to the right. I think we're probably in the same boat. I feel like there's no point having lessons as I don't need to "learn" anything anymore, as I can pick up on where I'm going wrong. I might book my test too, although I'll wait until after a level exams but it really does suck. I thought about giving up but I've spent so much already that I can't. We'll do this together :biggrin:

The worst part is all the people who pass after, like, 20 lessons and insist on talking about it all the time :tongue:

I'm pretty sure I've spent more than £1000 on driving lessons so far, and I've not even attempted a test yet. But I will do it! I have a feeling one day it will all just start clicking into place :biggrin:
Reply 26
The worst part is all the people who pass after, like, 20 lessons and insist on talking about it all the time :tongue:

I'm pretty sure I've spent more than £1000 on driving lessons so far, and I've not even attempted a test yet. But I will do it! I have a feeling one day it will all just start clicking into place :biggrin:

I've not attempted a test yet either! My friend who's the best driver I know, has failed twice and our friend who is absolutely awful passed first time. I think we may surprise ourselves on the day! I'm just worried my theory will expire, I do not want to have to redo it!
Reply 27
Original post by H0ls
I've not attempted a test yet either! My friend who's the best driver I know, has failed twice and our friend who is absolutely awful passed first time. I think we may surprise ourselves on the day! I'm just worried my theory will expire, I do not want to have to redo it!

I think I have a year left on mine. I didn't really mind the theory that much. I didn't study for it, and only got two questions wrong (one of them was a silly question about what diesel looks like if you spill it, though, which is hardly essential knowledge). And I completely missed the second hazard on the double-hazard clip, because I forgot I was supposed to be looking for two :tongue:

But yeah, I feel like I'm on the cusp of getting it all. I have a good feeling ^^
I'd recommend 2 hour lessons, for a start.
Reply 29
I think I have a year left on mine. I didn't really mind the theory that much. I didn't study for it, and only got two questions wrong (one of them was a silly question about what diesel looks like if you spill it, though, which is hardly essential knowledge). And I completely missed the second hazard on the double-hazard clip, because I forgot I was supposed to be looking for two :tongue:

But yeah, I feel like I'm on the cusp of getting it all. I have a good feeling ^^

I thought the hazard perception was going to be easy, I think I clicked like crazy, because I only just passed that part! Have you got a car already, or do you have the money saved up for a car?
Reply 30
Original post by H0ls
I thought the hazard perception was going to be easy, I think I clicked like crazy, because I only just passed that part! Have you got a car already, or do you have the money saved up for a car?

I'm probably not going to get a car until after uni, because I don't think I'll need it, and I don't want to insure it on a student budget. But I'd like to pass before then if I can. If I pass, my mum may put me on her insurance for when I'm at home in the holidays, so I'll at least have something to drive.

Once I finish uni and get a real job, I'll start saving up for a car.

Do you have a car?
I exercise, but I hate sport. I write, which is kind of a craft, and I'm working on making a plushie. But I'm not sure what those things have to do with driving.
My hand-eye co-ordination isn't great, but it's not the worst ever.

You're obviously not getting it. I don't care if you work out or write, because - unlike ball sports or real crafts - those things don't require the same skills as driving.

I'm capable of driving around, I'm just not consistent enough to pass the test yet.

A monkey could 'drive around' but it takes a bit more not to kill yourself or others in difficult, demanding situations on the road.

I was just kinda hoping someone could say something useful, rather than "Maybe you should just give up, and by the way I find it easy."

Well, this is my most useful advice: have yourself checked for abnormalities. If it takes you this long to drive without mistake, something is foul.
^ Abnormalities?? :lolwut:

OP, don't listen to the guy above, he's crazy.

I'm just gonna have to echo what others have said. By getting another instructor it'll be a fresh start, he may teach you new methods better suited to you and when you book your test you'll have something to work towards, hence more motivation.
(edited 11 years ago)
Do you suffer from anxiety when driving?

Your obviously intelligent enough to learn, so it must be something else that's stopping you progress. It's as if you don't feel like you belong on the road, and that affects your judgement and therefore your ability to drive safely, thus knocking your confidence.
I wouldn't always recommend changing driving instructors, especially when there good as you say, but how about you just try a 1 hour lesson with somebody else? See how it feels with a different instructor? It might help, might not but you'll always have you previous instructor.

Or maybe since you'll be going for test soon, ask to do a mock and see if your instructor can set you a mock up but with a different instructor that you obviously don't know. You might find more focus with someone else in the car which may help with the mistakes.

What i personally did after each lessons, almost naturally i seem to do it a lot after everything. But i always reflected on my progress, just in my head thought about what i had done, what i thought i did well, what i didn't do well and things that i kept doing wrong, i think it helped me without me even knowing it. At the start i always stalled because i used to just lift my foot off the clutch, so it'd always to the awful jutter forward -.- and the next time i got out, i did it less, and the time after that less again, but just thinking about what i did wrong with my feet and what i should of done.

Good luck :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by mikeyd85
Do you suffer from anxiety when driving?

Your obviously intelligent enough to learn, so it must be something else that's stopping you progress. It's as if you don't feel like you belong on the road, and that affects your judgement and therefore your ability to drive safely, thus knocking your confidence.

I'm not sure if anxiety's the right word, but maybe something like it. I'm perfectly confident until something unexpected happens, and then I feel less comfortable and it messes everything up.
Reply 36
I felt like i was making lots of silly mistakes while learning and doing my tests because i was under pressure, i passed 3 weeks ago and i drive fine now i dont feel im having to impress anybody :smile: good luck xx
Two years is a long time.

Maybe you're just naturally bad at it?

Plenty of people are.
It's okay Sheldon, you're too intelligent for driving :smile:
It took me about 2 years after starting lessons to be ready for my test (even though I still wasn't great at it) and I managed to pass it first time. Some of us just take a little longer to get the hang of it than others. You'll get it eventually :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending