The Student Room Group

Gynecomastia + Intermittent fasting

hey guys !

I have gyno and was wondering if I started doing intermittent fasting on a calorie deficit would it help me get rid of the Gyno ? its really annoying and very embarrassing. has anyone ever tried this before ? help + tips would be great !

age - 20
weight - 175lb
height - 5ft8
bf - 19%

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I had a small amount at one time, there's nothing that can directly take it away. I had it from a big increase in testosterone causing excess oestrogen, so I upped my Zinc intake and this seems to help combat future gains of gyno.
Reply 2
It depends how bad your gyno is, If you have a hard lump behind your nipple then it is defo gyno, if you've just got itchy nipps and feeling a bit sensetive, your in the early stages.

If your holding quite a bit of fat, especially around the chest area, start exercising along side a good diet, wether it be Intermittent fasting, low carb high carb whatever, just loose the fat. Once you've slimmed down, and lost some fat the appearence of your gyno should look alot better.

Gyno is caused by high testostrone levels in the body, go see your doctor about it. there are a couple of meds that can reverse it, but if your in the latter stages the only way is to get it surgically removed.

get some pics of your gyno up so I can have a look
Reply 3
gynecomastia is caused by low testosterone levels, in relation to your oestrogen - basically its a hormone imbalance. there are several causes, and some of them can be pretty serious. id definitely recommend you go see your doctor about it. they can see if there is anything in particular that is causing this, and they can help with treatment.
i would say that dramatically reducing your calorie intake is not the best idea. instead just go for a healthier diet (cut out refined carbs and sugar etc), and reduce your intake to maybe 2000 calories a day (for men the RDA is 2500) with regular exercise. i dont know if this will help the gynecomastia, but it will help to lower your bmi into the 'recommended' zone. it will reduce your body fat, and the breasts are one of the first places to see fat storage in women...im assuming its going to be similar for guys??
but, as youre obviously bothered by your condition, definitely see a GP. theyll be able to give you proper advice! :smile:

oh sorry dude, someone thinks ive given bad advice, so youd best ignore everything i say because we dont know what ive been negged for :colonhash:

also, fun fact - 2/3 males experience gynecomastia, it normally occurs during puberty when hormone levels are changing.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by CodeJack
I had a small amount at one time, there's nothing that can directly take it away. I had it from a big increase in testosterone causing excess oestrogen, so I upped my Zinc intake and this seems to help combat future gains of gyno.

from what I know the only way is surgery, but I really don't want to go through with any of that lol. hmm would you recommend me upping my Zinc ?
Reply 5
Original post by davekhan
It depends how bad your gyno is, If you have a hard lump behind your nipple then it is defo gyno, if you've just got itchy nipps and feeling a bit sensetive, your in the early stages.

If your holding quite a bit of fat, especially around the chest area, start exercising along side a good diet, wether it be Intermittent fasting, low carb high carb whatever, just loose the fat. Once you've slimmed down, and lost some fat the appearence of your gyno should look alot better.

Gyno is caused by high testostrone levels in the body, go see your doctor about it. there are a couple of meds that can reverse it, but if your in the latter stages the only way is to get it surgically removed.

get some pics of your gyno up so I can have a look

I feel as if I have a hard lump when my nipples are erect when they get sensitive or when im cold, other than that when im normal its smooth with no lumps. they do get itchy when dry and are very sensitive. I am holding fat would you recommend any exercises and diet to get rid of the fat ? I know spot reducing is a myth. will make a app with my docs.
Reply 6
Original post by POWCATTY
gynecomastia is caused by low testosterone levels, in relation to your oestrogen - basically its a hormone imbalance. there are several causes, and some of them can be pretty serious. id definitely recommend you go see your doctor about it. they can see if there is anything in particular that is causing this, and they can help with treatment.
i would say that dramatically reducing your calorie intake is not the best idea. instead just go for a healthier diet (cut out refined carbs and sugar etc), and reduce your intake to maybe 2000 calories a day (for men the RDA is 2500) with regular exercise. i dont know if this will help the gynecomastia, but it will help to lower your bmi into the 'recommended' zone. it will reduce your body fat, and the breasts are one of the first places to see fat storage in women...im assuming its going to be similar for guys??
but, as youre obviously bothered by your condition, definitely see a GP. theyll be able to give you proper advice! :smile:

is there any way I can make the hormone imbalance back to level again ? any supplements or food I can take ? I heard broccoli is a good one. I wouldn't dramatically reduce my calorie intake, just not eat for 16 hours then eat my whole 2000 calories in 3 meals within 8 hours. I will defo see my GP just wanting some advice from you kind people first, im sure theres people who have gone through this idea of gyno + intermittent fasting or have even done it
Reply 7
Original post by thaistick
from what I know the only way is surgery, but I really don't want to go through with any of that lol. hmm would you recommend me upping my Zinc ?

Well it can't do any harm and will balance your hormones out anyway, along with some good foods like you said above.
Reply 8
The gyno may not look as bad when your leaner, i don't know much on the subject but on bodybuilding.com there's a whole thread for people with gyno.
Reply 9
Original post by Dhaden
The gyno may not look as bad when your leaner, i don't know much on the subject but on bodybuilding.com there's a whole thread for people with gyno.

Dhaden would you be able to post the link ? as I cannot find it on bodybuilding.com

thanks bud
Reply 10
Dhaden would you be able to post the link ? as I cannot find it on bodybuilding.com

thanks bud

Oops apologies i got gyno confused with pectus excavatum, my bad :colondollar:
If you have false gyno, fat loss will help, otherwise the only way to get rid is through surgery unfortunately. The NHS does do surgery on gyno but it depends on how severe they are.
Reply 12
Hey mate how would I be able to tell whether I have false gyno or not ?
Hey mate how would I be able to tell whether I have false gyno or not ?

Not sure, but I'm sure if you took a trip to your gp they'd be able to tell you.
You can't get rid of gyno without surgery. It's not fat, it's breast tissue and no amount of fasting will get rid of it. Sorry OP. Sort out your trashed up hormones to stop it getting worse.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Hard tissue gyno (solid lumps/discs under the nipple) is not going anywhere, son. Some people claim to have got rid of it with pharmaceuticals in the first few months, but if its established then you're stuck with it. Getting your bf% down will likely make it look a bit better, though.
Reply 16
You shouldn't need surgery. I had gyno for about 6 months from my bulk last summer. I still have the puffiness which is annoying it will go when I cut. Gyno will disappear if you change your diet a bit but it takes a few months to fully disappear.

I came off Serious Mass which had different kinds of proteins and Glutamine. My body didn't seem to like this. I was advised to come off it by doctors which annoyed me because I found it really useful.

I don't know if that was the thing that was causing my Gyno but I now take Maltodextrin for carbs and whey protein with Creatine and BCAA's and I no longer have the hormone imbalance.

Good luck mate
Reply 17
Original post by Rossshaw
You shouldn't need surgery. I had gyno for about 6 months from my bulk last summer. I still have the puffiness which is annoying it will go when I cut. Gyno will disappear if you change your diet a bit but it takes a few months to fully disappear.

I came off Serious Mass which had different kinds of proteins and Glutamine. My body didn't seem to like this. I was advised to come off it by doctors which annoyed me because I found it really useful.

I don't know if that was the thing that was causing my Gyno but I now take Maltodextrin for carbs and whey protein with Creatine and BCAA's and I no longer have the hormone imbalance.

Good luck mate

thanks for the response mate, if I cut and keep it clean would the puffiness go away ? also what is the maltodextrin ? thanks
Reply 18
thanks for the response mate, if I cut and keep it clean would the puffiness go away ? also what is the maltodextrin ? thanks

Should do, but if it doesn't, just accept it. No one will notice too much and I know for a fact that if you cut it will reduce in puffiness. Maltodextrin is the carb that present in weight gainer shakes. It's something I take to help increase my carbs when I'm having long days at uni.
Reply 19
Original post by Rossshaw
Should do, but if it doesn't, just accept it. No one will notice too much and I know for a fact that if you cut it will reduce in puffiness. Maltodextrin is the carb that present in weight gainer shakes. It's something I take to help increase my carbs when I'm having long days at uni.

thanks mate, will be going on a cut real soon. I don't think I need the maltodextrin because I eat quite a lot of carbs anyway coming from rice, pasta etc..

Quick Reply

Latest