The Student Room Group

I can't stop forgetting "+C" (integration)

Any help? I'm doin c4 atm and its always been an issue :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Haha, I have been having the same issue with this in C1... :L
Reply 2
It's very frustrating I tell, walking out of exams and then some1 asks did u guys remember +c and I'm like **** lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by krazie.x
It's very frustrating I tell, walking out of exams and then some1 asks did u guys remember +c and I'm like **** lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's no way you can find an alternate method to learn it, you just gotta remember its the constant of integration, so when limits aren't defined add it just for those marks
For exams, what I would do for stuff I could never remember is that I'd read through it immediately before I went into the exam, then straight away (once the exam starts) I'd write out the stuff that I'd struggle to remember later on the back of the exam paper or whatever while it was still fresh in my mind. That way I could refer to it later when I was deep into the exam.
Reply 5
Whenever you caome across a question that might/will lead to integration write in big capitals "dont forget +c!!!!". That way when you check over your answers at the end you'll see the note and think oh yeah.

Samething with radians, see a pi sign and trig? Write at start "RADIANS!!!". You'll never have a problem now.
Just remind yourself after the hours and hours you have put in to learn all the methords of integration, writing a "+C" is the easiest mark you will get in the whole exam.
Reply 7
well...you know you always forget it, therefore its going to be the first thing you think about when these questions come up.
thats how i remembered a tonne of stuff...because i always forgot it lol
Reply 8

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could when doing an integration question first wite down +C next to the question,or even next to the next question. Then just do the integration process. After this just look back and you'll remember that you have to do the +C part.

Also when you finish the question, ask yourself if you have one everything. That way you'll remember about the +C part.
Reply 9
Write '+C' on the inside of your eyelids.
Reply 10
I have a post-it note on my bedroom wall above my desk that just reads "+C" in big block letters.

I always remember +C now, so I guess it worked :tongue:
When you go into your exam write it on the first page of your paper, or on the last page so you see it at the end and remember to check. The more you practice the questions, you'll just remember to do it :smile:
I've been doing that on C4 too :redface: It's so annoying, I've never had a problem remembering it before :s-smilie:
Reply 13
Just remember that an antiderivative of a function is another function whose derivative is the function you started with. Then, try to picture a graph of a simple function so you can picture its derivative by thinking of tangents to the curve and then picture shifting it up and down the y-axis and noting that the tangents are parallel.

I like to think of maths in programming terms in the sense that I always concentrate on the data type of any object I am dealing with. In this sense, when I think of 'indefinite integral' I think:

input - a function
output - a parameterised family of functions.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
Thanks guys, some really helpful ideas, will try them :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I'm not sure if this will help you remember, but I think it's a useful concept.

Instead of:

x2dx=x33+C \int x^2 dx = \frac{x^3}{3} + C

Write the integral as:

x0xx2dx=[x33]x0x=x33x033=x33+Const. \int_{x_0}^{x} x'^2 dx' = \left[ \frac{x'^3}{3} \right]_{x_0}^{x} = \frac{x^3}{3} -\frac{x_0^3}{3} = \frac{x^3}{3} + \mathrm{Const.}

xx' is a 'dummy' variable of integration which doesn't appear in the final expression. You integrate from a constant lower limit to your desired variable as the upper limit, xx.

These kind of integrals are often seen in practice, where the lower limit could be something like a reference state (if your variable were some thermodynamic quantity).
Reply 16

Posted from TSR Mobile

For the C4 exam you normally have to integrate between bounds so the +c bit isn't important (and by usually I mean 90% of the time, unless it is a part a question)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I always have the same issue! :smile:
My classmate once told me "Don't forget the cheeseburger!"

I didn't forget to write +c since :smile:
Reply 19
Make a point to go through the paper when you have finished and check that you've not missed out the +C's.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending