The Student Room Group

Girls who cross the road to avoid parked cars!

Scroll to see replies

at night time I do cross the road if I see a parked car with a man in regardless of their race because over the new year I walked past a parked guy with a group of guys in and one tried to grab me and it scared the **** out of me as I was on my own it was pitch black and I felt very vunrable. Before that no i wouldnt have crossed over
Has it occurred to you that maybe they just want to get to the other side. I had group of guys yelling at me the other day because I crossed the road before passing them and they accused me trying to avoid them when in reality it made more sense to my journey to be on the other side if the road.
Reply 62
Original post by abc101
You're pissed off that girls are concerned for their safety? You, sir, sound like a prize *******.

It's always sensible to be wary of parked cars when walking down a street at night. I'm wary of walking past vans even in the daytime. Sure, it's unlikely you'll get bundled into the back, but it takes no effort to walk to the other side of the road and avoid the possibility of it happening.

This. It has nothing to do with your race. A girl being concerned for her safety is way more important than you taking personal insult at someone crossing the road - get over it.
Reply 63
Original post by kunoichi
Getting pissed off because girls are thinking of their safety? Low crime isnt no crime and they have every right to cross the road for whatever reason. Maybe it has nothing to do with you? Especially if you are 6 cars away, how are you supposed to see who's in a car from that far away at night? Stop taking it so personally is what i would do.

Isnt that what guys on here nag us to do all the time? Look after ourselves? Then you get pissed off at the girls who do try and look after themselves?
Decide what you ****ing want the lot of you.

+1
If he stopped thinking about it, it really has no negative impact on him at all, he is just being oversensitive. Girls have built-in responses to various situations which keeps them safe (or at least, safer).
Original post by Anonymous
I am not one to get annoyed easily but this does **** me off. It's because the area is harmless and has low crime. So I don't see what is the point. I kept thinking initially that maybe they had a previous bad experience? But then it happened quite a few times so they can't all have had a bad experience!

I'm guessing by a bad experience you mean like they'd been raped or attacked or something? Yeah if that was the case I would understand. But you're right, it's very unlikely that that's happened to every girl that does this. It's probably to do with the fact that Asian guys do sort of have a reputation for perving on girls, particularly white girls. Like I said I personally find it stupid if they're acting like this because of your race, but to be fair although guys of all races act like this Asian guys are probably the worst.

Watch me get negged on this post now... :rolleyes:
Reply 65
You may be a little offended by girls crossing the road away from your car but at the end of the day they are in no way harming you and are protecting themselves. I am not for a minute saying that you are a bad person who would mean someone harm, but at the end of the day it is easier to trust no one than make the mistake of trusting the wrong person. At the end of the day if I do not know someone then I am not going to trust them especially at night and with few people around. For me it wouldn't matter if you were a man, women or of any race or religion I find it easier to avoid people when I am out alone.
people do this to feel safer. doesnt matter if your particular area has a low crime rate. thats like not looking before crossing a road because its got way less traffic than a motorway at rush hour.
if its annoying you so much then im sorry but youre just being pathetic.
It's nothing personal, it's just taking precautions. Hell if a random car stopped next to me at night in a deserted street I'd be wary at the least.
Original post by kunoichi
They can take safety however they wish, they choose to have sex with the guys they take home (if indeed they do, you CANNOT tell that by looking at them and if you want them to stop judging you without knowing you maybe you should consider doing the same!) they do not choose to be dragged into a car and raped and which cars have the bad people in them.

You wouldnt cross the road? Thats fine, you are a guy, you havent been brought up to think of the possibility someone may try to rape you, may try to drag you into it. Girls are taught differently, taught to try to avoid it in the first place rather than be the big man who refuses to show fear and by doing so is more likely to get into a nasty situation.

Let others who think differently to you just get on with what makes them happy, it isnt really doing you any harm is it?

A girl shouldnt have to feel unsafe because youre getting unnecessarily upset over someone crossing the road.

That's not the only thing that can happen though is it? If a cars stops next to you at night you could potentially be robbed or beaten up as well. That's why as a guy I'd be just as wary as any other girl.

Any guy that thinks "yeah I'm a guy so I can walk past a bunch of gangsters in hoodies in a quiet street in the middle of the night without any fear" is a frickin' moron.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 69
You've got a rapey face. Change it and maybe then they'll walk past your car blissfully. Until that day, get used to a lonely life at the side of the curb.
Original post by therisenmitten
I always do it, it's nothing personal.

I live in London and if I'm walking alone past a parked car with a man in it almost 100%
of the time they will say something seedy. It's not just about not wanting to be shouted at, it's about not wanting to be dragged into the car and raped.

Twice when I've been walking home (not particularly late) I've had men aggressively tell me to get in the car. Once it was a group of men who started to get out when I refused to get in, so I sprinted in tears until I found someone else in the street who kindly walked me home.

It's not just a precaution, it happens a lot.
Plus the girl probably can't even see what race you are.

edit: I also agree that it's none of the man's business. A girl shouldn't have to risk her safety due to not wanting to offend someone or seem racist.

Also for reference I live in probably the wealthiest area of London.

Bold bit isn't true in the slightest, agree with the rest of your post though.
I do it - it's just safety more than anything. Nothing to do with race. I even do it when I'm walking past a van and no one's in the front. Honestly don't get how girls can win at this - we get told to be cautious and safe when alone, and then stuff like this is mentioned.
Original post by Anonymous
Haha you serious? Wtf. I am aware as much as the next man but I can only think of a few situations where I have felt genuinely threatened. Tend to rely on my instinct and have avoided a few potential troubled situations with my friends, when I first picked up something wasn't right.

I have done martial arts for a long time but understand the need to avoid trouble. One, it's easier to avoid as you say. Two, you don't know what/who you are dealing with. Three, don't want a criminal record due to my career. Sadly three is the one that scares me the most.

You watch too many action movies. Everyone knows martial arts don't help in real life. :rofl:
Original post by Ice Constricter
Bold bit isn't true in the slightest, agree with the rest of your post though.

How can you say it isn't true unless you are female?
You have not experienced what it is like for girls when walking alone.

I'm saying that at night, when walking alone in London it happens nearly 100% of the time. Normal people don't tend to hang around in their cars at night.
How can you say it isn't true unless you are female?
You have not experienced what it is like for girls when walking alone.

I'm saying that at night, when walking alone in London it happens nearly 100% of the time. Normal people don't tend to hang around in their cars at night.

In the post I quoted you didn't mention "at night". And just to play devil's advocate it still wouldn't be true regardless of night or day. I don't have to be a girl to know that, it's just the law of averages.

And the person could have just got in their car about to move off.

And please, I'm the exact opposite of the OP, meaning that I'd also be wary if a car pulled up beside me at night so stop pulling the "you won't understand you're a guy" card.
And OP I think people's safety has priority over your right to not be offended.
I always do it, it's nothing personal.

I live in London and if I'm walking alone past a parked car with a man in it almost 100% of the time they will say something seedy. It's not just about not wanting to be shouted at, it's about not wanting to be dragged into the car and raped.

Twice when I've been walking home (not particularly late) I've had men aggressively tell me to get in the car. Once it was a group of men who started to get out when I refused to get in, so I sprinted in tears until I found someone else in the street who kindly walked me home.

It's not just a precaution, it happens a lot.
Plus the girl probably can't even see what race you are.

edit: I also agree that it's none of the man's business. A girl shouldn't have to risk her safety due to not wanting to offend someone or seem racist.

Also for reference I live in probably the wealthiest area of London.

This made me a little jelly. :colonhash:
Original post by ironandwine
I do it - it's just safety more than anything. Nothing to do with race. I even do it when I'm walking past a van and no one's in the front. Honestly don't get how girls can win at this - we get told to be cautious and safe when alone, and then stuff like this is mentioned.

This!

OP don't take it too seriously. They don't know who you are - they're doing it for their own saftey, which tbh I should be doing as well. In fact I think I've learnt some 'street smart' tactics reading this fred :h:
Original post by Spontogical
This made me a little jelly. :colonhash:

Didn't mean for this to sound posh/stuck up.
I don't come from there, I just go to a posh uni and have a massive student loan :wink:
Original post by Ice Constricter
In the post I quoted you didn't mention "at night". And just to play devil's advocate it still wouldn't be true regardless of night or day. I don't have to be a girl to know that, it's just the law of averages.

And the person could have just got in their car about to move off.

And please, I'm the exact opposite of the OP, meaning that I'd also be wary if a car pulled up beside me at night so stop pulling the "you won't understand you're a guy" card.

I agree with you on most points also I know it does sound unlikely and I should have mentioned "at night".

I think it depends of the person. I will admit that I attract the wrong attention because I smile at everyone (northern habit). So maybe it's just me.

Also I possibly judge the men too harshly because when I say "something seedy" it's normally just hello.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending