The Student Room Group

why is this?

why is tetrachloromethane deflected more by a charged rod than ethanal?
Reply 1
Tetrachloromethane is a non polar molecule (even though the C-Cl bond is polar). This is because the molecule is symmetrical, so the polarities cancel out.
Ethanal, however, IS polar because it's not symmetrical and has a polar bond ( C=O ).

Polar molecules are deflected, non polar molecules are not. Therefore the CCl4 is deflected LESS. :tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by Murrica
Tetrachloromethane is a non polar molecule (even though the C-Cl bond is polar). This is because the molecule is symmetrical, so the polarities cancel out.
Ethanal, however, IS polar because it's not symmetrical and has a polar bond ( C=O ).

Polar molecules are deflected, non polar molecules are not. Therefore the CCl4 is deflected LESS. :tongue:

Thank you :smile:

do you do AS Chemistry? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by upthegunners
Thank you :smile:

do you do AS Chemistry? :smile:

No problem :biggrin: And I'm in A2 now :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Murrica
No problem :biggrin: And I'm in A2 now :smile:

sweet :smile: I am finding edexcel chemistry really hard :frown:
I got an A* at GCSE and I worked really hard this year but just cant get good grades in Chemistry :frown: I am fine with my other subjects (bio, physics maths) but chemistry is just soooo hard :frown:

any tips? I really really would love an A but I am starting to believe I just dont have the ability :frown:
Reply 5
sweet :smile: I am finding edexcel chemistry really hard :frown:
I got an A* at GCSE and I worked really hard this year but just cant get good grades in Chemistry :frown: I am fine with my other subjects (bio, physics maths) but chemistry is just soooo hard :frown:

any tips? I really really would love an A but I am starting to believe I just dont have the ability :frown:

I do edexcel chemistry, too! And like you, I got A* at GCSE. Whenever I didn't do so well in class, I'd always get really thrown off and upset about it.

Surprisingly though, I came out with a really good grade last year (and this year), despite barely ever getting anything the first time round!

One way to revise chemistry that I would highly recommend is to make question/answer notes. It's real tedious but well worth it in the end! What you do is you go through each relevant chapter, and instead of copying stuff down you just rephrase it into questions. you can fold each piece of paper in half (lengthwise) and write questions on one side, and answers on the other :P

Alternatively, I'd suggest past papers - after you get a few down, you get a really good idea of what they're looking for! :rolleyes:
Reply 6
Original post by Murrica
I do edexcel chemistry, too! And like you, I got A* at GCSE. Whenever I didn't do so well in class, I'd always get really thrown off and upset about it.

Surprisingly though, I came out with a really good grade last year (and this year), despite barely ever getting anything the first time round!

One way to revise chemistry that I would highly recommend is to make question/answer notes. It's real tedious but well worth it in the end! What you do is you go through each relevant chapter, and instead of copying stuff down you just rephrase it into questions. you can fold each piece of paper in half (lengthwise) and write questions on one side, and answers on the other :P

Alternatively, I'd suggest past papers - after you get a few down, you get a really good idea of what they're looking for! :rolleyes:

Thank you, that's excellent advice :smile: I have done about 2/3 past papers and I still find it so hard. I find there's so many reactions to remember.. I am hoping it all 'clicks' and clicks soon :L I have the exam on the 4th of june :frown:
Reply 7
Thank you, that's excellent advice :smile: I have done about 2/3 past papers and I still find it so hard. I find there's so many reactions to remember.. I am hoping it all 'clicks' and clicks soon :L I have the exam on the 4th of june :frown:

No worries, feel free to message me if you need any more help! and there really is, but if you manage to make sense of them you should be O.K.! Just make sure you don't forget it all for A2 :P
Reply 8
Original post by Murrica
No worries, feel free to message me if you need any more help! and there really is, but if you manage to make sense of them you should be O.K.! Just make sure you don't forget it all for A2 :P

thanks very much for your help :smile:

In Unit 2 you have to apply your knowledge so much more
Reply 9
thanks very much for your help :smile:

In Unit 2 you have to apply your knowledge so much more

Wait till you get to unit 5, muhahaha :devil: :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest