The Student Room Group

Edexcel M2/M3 June 6th/10th 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
I hope I can say the same about Econ Unit 2 come this August :colondollar:. Yh Macroeconomic objectives and policies are soo good :sexface:. Ahh that's less than mine :tongue:, and I'm going to apply for Economics next year :smile:, what about you?

Well im in year 13, and i've applied for economics too :smile: What a coincidence! I remember for my unit 2 paper i got something to do with macro economics policies - i thought it was the best paper i could get :smile: Where do you want to go to uni? Most probably LSE OR UCL..along those lines?
Original post by MLogan
Well im in year 13, and i've applied for economics too :smile: What a coincidence! I remember for my unit 2 paper i got something to do with macro economics policies - i thought it was the best paper i could get :smile: Where do you want to go to uni? Most probably LSE OR UCL..along those lines?

Well I approve of your choice :wink:. I'm sure in every unit 2 paper the essay at the end would have something to do with policies, but that might just be my exam board. Hopefully Camb, but I'll also apply to LSE & UCL :smile:. Where are you off to this year then? :smile:
Reply 22
Well I approve of your choice :wink:. I'm sure in every unit 2 paper the essay at the end would have something to do with policies, but that might just be my exam board. Hopefully Camb, but I'll also apply to LSE & UCL :smile:. Where are you off to this year then? :smile:

Thats great :smile: What exam board are you? Well I'm planning to firm Nottingham and Insure Queen Marys ! Not as clever as you to apply to any unis along your line :P Still waiting on Bristol though :|
Original post by MLogan
Thats great :smile: What exam board are you? Well I'm planning to firm Nottingham and Insure Queen Marys ! Not as clever as you to apply to any unis along your line :P Still waiting on Bristol though :|

For Econ Edexcel :biggrin: you?, what grades are Notts asking for A*AA/AAA? Don't worry you'd most probably end up in the same job as people going to those so it's all relative. I'm sure your Bristol offer will come soon :hugs:
Reply 24
For Econ Edexcel :biggrin: you?, what grades are Notts asking for A*AA/AAA? Don't worry you'd most probably end up in the same job as people going to those so it's all relative. I'm sure your Bristol offer will come soon :hugs:

Edexcel too :smile: Notts actually gave me their lower offer of 3A'S! I was actually so shocked, my AS was no way near good as the people who apply there! Now its just a case of getting the grades!Any idea of what job you want to do?
Original post by MLogan
Edexcel too :smile: Notts actually gave me their lower offer of 3A'S! I was actually so shocked, my AS was no way near good as the people who apply there! Now its just a case of getting the grades!Any idea of what job you want to do?

Woo! :biggrin: What's Unit 3 and 4 like? :smile: I'm sure you deserved it anyways, what were your AS's like if you don't mind me asking. No idea yet, although I was thinking of something alone the lines of policy-making in the long run, what about you?
I'll be sitting M2 but not M3 although I'm quite curious about how hard it'd be to learn, I'll probably do it over the holidays before university, also I've only done 1 past paper so far and the hardest part for me is the work energy principle, I just can't understand it at all, but the centre of mass questions are definitely going to be my banking marks! I need 91+ in this exam if I am to get my Further Maths A* so it'll be quite a push but I do feel I'll be able to do it.

Best of luck for everyone taking either or both of these exams :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Woo! :biggrin: What's Unit 3 and 4 like? :smile: I'm sure you deserved it anyways, what were your AS's like if you don't mind me asking. No idea yet, although I was thinking of something alone the lines of policy-making in the long run, what about you?

Well unit 3 is actually good but lets say my paper did not agree with me :| When you come to do past papers for unit 3 you will see what i mean by that! But unit 4 is great, you will enjoy it if you like a lot development economics stuff and trading! My AS were not way near as good as i thought it would turn out, got 4 B's :| I was thinking along the lines of management consultancy :smile:
Original post by MathsNerd1
I'll be sitting M2 but not M3 although I'm quite curious about how hard it'd be to learn, I'll probably do it over the holidays before university, also I've only done 1 past paper so far and the hardest part for me is the work energy principle, I just can't understand it at all, but the centre of mass questions are definitely going to be my banking marks! I need 91+ in this exam if I am to get my Further Maths A* so it'll be quite a push but I do feel I'll be able to do it.

Best of luck for everyone taking either or both of these exams :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

With the work energy power always remember than energy cannot be created or destroyed, it is either lost or gained.

If the question is talking about resistive forces, i.e. friction than you can assume that energy is lost, or if it's talking about a driving force such as the engine of a car you can assume that energy is gained.

Post a question up, if you want me to go through an example :smile:.
Original post by MLogan
Well unit 3 is actually good but lets say my paper did not agree with me :| When you come to do past papers for unit 3 you will see what i mean by that! But unit 4 is great, you will enjoy it if you like a lot development economics stuff and trading! My AS were not way near as good as i thought it would turn out, got 4 B's :| I was thinking along the lines of management consultancy :smile:

Ahh I see but I love Micro as it's more realistic and theoretical, stuff like Game Theory, Profit Maximization all look really good :biggrin:

Don't worry too much about your ASes, you've got an offer and that's what matters! Make sure you get a lot of work exp. for management consultancy, e.g. spring weeks or summer internships :smile:.
With the work energy power always remember than energy cannot be created or destroyed, it is either lost or gained.

If the question is talking about resistive forces, i.e. friction than you can assume that energy is lost, or if it's talking about a driving force such as the engine of a car you can assume that energy is gained.

Post a question up, if you want me to go through an example :smile:.

Yeah I just always seem to forget the actual equations for kinetic energy lost and such, plus whenever I read the question my mind just goes straight for the M1 techniques so its hard to try the required method, but I think with enough practise I'll be able to complete the question when it appears in the exam, thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Ahh I see but I love Micro as it's more realistic and theoretical, stuff like Game Theory, Profit Maximization all look really good :biggrin:

Don't worry too much about your ASes, you've got an offer and that's what matters! Make sure you get a lot of work exp. for management consultancy, e.g. spring weeks or summer internships :smile:.

Can you help me with this question please. Part B.

2. A smooth sphere S of mass m is moving with speed u on a smooth horizontal plane. The sphere S collides with another smooth sphere T, of equal radius to S but of mass km, moving in the same straight line and in the same direction with speed 0 < lamda < 1/2. . The coefficient of restitution between S and T is e.

Given that S is brought to rest by the impact,

(b) Deduce that k > 1.

I got A, the answer to A is e = 1+k(lamda)/K(1-lamda)

Thanks, i will try and get a paper reference if i can!
Original post by MLogan
Can you help me with this question please. Part B.

2. A smooth sphere S of mass m is moving with speed u on a smooth horizontal plane. The sphere S collides with another smooth sphere T, of equal radius to S but of mass km, moving in the same straight line and in the same direction with speed 0 < lamda < 1/2. . The coefficient of restitution between S and T is e.

Given that S is brought to rest by the impact,

(b) Deduce that k > 1.

I got A, the answer to A is e = 1+k(lamda)/K(1-lamda)

Thanks, i will try and get a paper reference if i can!

Ok, lets assume that both spheres are travelling to the right, and let's say that the right is positive yh.

We know that the speed of S is after impact so labelled that as 0. Yet me don't know the speed of T so label that as VT.

Then use the conservation of momentum and then the coefficient of restitution formula to force two simultaneous equations to find the speed of T.

I'll get u started e= VT / u - lambda
Reply 33
Ok, lets assume that both spheres are travelling to the right, and let's say that the right is positive yh.

We know that the speed of S is after impact so labelled that as 0. Yet me don't know the speed of T so label that as VT.

Then use the conservation of momentum and then the coefficient of restitution formula to force two simultaneous equations to find the speed of T.

I'll get u started e= VT / u - lambda

But the question isnt asking to work out the speed of T.
It is the: unit M2 Mock

Check out question 5 on that, i think it is clearer when it on the paper!
Original post by MLogan
But the question isnt asking to work out the speed of T.
It is the: unit M2 Mock

Check out question 5 on that, i think it is clearer when it on the paper!

What year?
What I think is is you find the speed of T in terms of k, and because you know T is travelling to the right you can then say Vt > 0 and then solve it as an inequality.

I've got VT to be keλ+eλke1\frac{ke\lambda + e\lambda}{ke - 1}

I think you've got the value for e, sub it in then make VT > 0 and solve it as an inequality :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
OP I did M3 in January and the best tip I can give is to learn the proof to EVERYTHING!

There is too much to remember otherwise (especially in center of mass chapter) and understanding the material opposed to remembering it gives you a much better chance of scoring highly on the paeper
Reply 36
Can someone tell me how to do the second part of question 4 on june 2012 M3 edexcel?

thank you

question 4.jpg
Reply 37
Can somebody explain to me question 6b on M3 jan 2005 please, it is an SHM question and my whole class was stumped!
Reply 38
I'm not sitting M3 but I'm sitting M2 this summer. It's been over a year since I did M1 so it's all slowly coming back to me! It does help doing Physics as the work energy stuff I've already done. I think the centre of mass questions will be where I get the marks but I do struggle to visualise the moments questions, I just can't get my head around M2 moments! :\ I think now I just need to practice paper after paper till its concrete in my head. Also what is useful is the Further Maths online live revision sessions, and the M2 one is on the 24th of May so I'll definitely be tuning in for that! :smile: Anyone got any tips overall for M2?
Reply 39
Original post by Cosine
I'm not sitting M3 but I'm sitting M2 this summer. It's been over a year since I did M1 so it's all slowly coming back to me! It does help doing Physics as the work energy stuff I've already done. I think the centre of mass questions will be where I get the marks but I do struggle to visualise the moments questions, I just can't get my head around M2 moments! :\ I think now I just need to practice paper after paper till its concrete in my head. Also what is useful is the Further Maths online live revision sessions, and the M2 one is on the 24th of May so I'll definitely be tuning in for that! :smile: Anyone got any tips overall for M2?

That is quite early for M2 isn't it? What board are you? Mine is on the 6th of june!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending