The Student Room Group

GCSE 10 hour art exam help??

I'm sitting my 10 hour graphics exam on Tuesday and Wednesday and then my 10 hour art exam on Thursday and Friday. My question is - am I allowed to bring a sheet of reference pictures into both exams? They would most likely just be pictures off the internet of objects and such that would really be helpful to me when I'm painting my final piece. I have already planned both and know what I'm doing but when it comes to actually producing it it's handy to have references as a guide!

Is this against the rules? Or, if I use references, do I have to make a page of coursework with these references and explain where I got them from and why I'm using them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :smile:
I'm sure your allowed to take pictures in to draw from, or have them saved so you can print in exam time and do it :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you! Somebody I know who sat the exams last year said that they used references so :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Mono5
I'm sitting my 10 hour graphics exam on Tuesday and Wednesday and then my 10 hour art exam on Thursday and Friday. My question is - am I allowed to bring a sheet of reference pictures into both exams? They would most likely just be pictures off the internet of objects and such that would really be helpful to me when I'm painting my final piece. I have already planned both and know what I'm doing but when it comes to actually producing it it's handy to have references as a guide!

Is this against the rules? Or, if I use references, do I have to make a page of coursework with these references and explain where I got them from and why I'm using them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :smile:

I do GCSE art and I remember when I talked to my art teacher about having a picture from the Internet, she said that students are allowed to have a picture from the Internet in front of them whilst they're doing their ten hour exam, she also said that student should have something to look at so they know exactly what they're painting, drawing etc... She told me about an ex-student who should've received an A* for her final grade but she didn't have a picture to copy from so she painted what she saw in her head for her final piece and ended up with a C. I hope this helps and I'm not sure about graphics sorry :\

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
I don't know about graphics (I never had to sit a ten hour exam for my GCSE?!) but for Art, I was allowed to take my entire sketchbook/journal in with me. Meaning I had my ten hour plan, experiments, observations, artists and secondary images with me at all times. This is because my exam piece had to be developed from my journal, with a clear direction of my work in order to get the marks; using my book in the exam, helped me to do this.

Asking your teacher would probably be the best way of finding out though, each exam board is probably different and even on the same board, every school will do things differently.
Reply 5
Original post by StudentHLe
I do GCSE art and I remember when I talked to my art teacher about having a picture from the Internet, she said that students are allowed to have a picture from the Internet in front of them whilst they're doing their ten hour exam, she also said that student should have something to look at so they know exactly what they're painting, drawing etc... She told me about an ex-student who should've received an A* for her final grade but she didn't have a picture to copy from so she painted what she saw in her head for her final piece and ended up with a C. I hope this helps and I'm not sure about graphics sorry :\

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!! :smile: Sorry, I should have explained further about the Graphic-y side of things. In my school, the old Graphics GCSE was all about product and industrial design and was more of a Tech subject, however last year they changed it completely so that it was an Art subject. The Graphics GCSE now in our school is pretty much identical to the Art GCSE only that we mainly use photoshop and photography in Graphics, which is something you don't really use in Art. Both of the exams are pretty much the same, so if using references in the Art exam is okay then I suspect it will the same in the Graphics exam :smile:

Thank you for your response! :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by Pixie-Bee
I don't know about graphics (I never had to sit a ten hour exam for my GCSE?!) but for Art, I was allowed to take my entire sketchbook/journal in with me. Meaning I had my ten hour plan, experiments, observations, artists and secondary images with me at all times. This is because my exam piece had to be developed from my journal, with a clear direction of my work in order to get the marks; using my book in the exam, helped me to do this.

Asking your teacher would probably be the best way of finding out though, each exam board is probably different and even on the same board, every school will do things differently.

Not sure if this is the same as you did, but our projects were based around a 'theme' that we picked from a booklet produced by OCR for the exam :smile: (Also, read above for my explanation about the Graphics GCSE!)
Our coursework for both Graphics and Art was all about developing this idea, which - like you said - featured experiments, artists, development and blah blah. We're allowed to take this into the exam because it's got everything we need and our ideas, and also the all important final piece plan.

I e-mailed my Art teacher earlier today and am still awaiting a reply.. :wink:

Thank you for posting :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by Mono5
Not sure if this is the same as you did, but our projects were based around a 'theme' that we picked from a booklet produced by OCR for the exam :smile: (Also, read above for my explanation about the Graphics GCSE!)
Our coursework for both Graphics and Art was all about developing this idea, which - like you said - featured experiments, artists, development and blah blah. We're allowed to take this into the exam because it's got everything we need and our ideas, and also the all important final piece plan.

I e-mailed my Art teacher earlier today and am still awaiting a reply.. :wink:

Thank you for posting :biggrin:

OH, that graphics! (yeah, I did the technology version. My friend did Art Graphics though, and she was allowed to bring in references. :smile:)

Yup, that's exactly the same. If you're wanting to bring in references/objects to help with your exam piece, then they should be in your journal anyway - to show the examiners where your ideas came from. But either way, it is likely that additional sheets will be allowed, if you need them - we certainly weren't banned from taking them in. :biggrin:

Good luck as well by the way! :smile:
Reply 8
Thank you so much - really taken a big bundle of stress off of my shoulders as I was worried I'd have to draw everything from my imagination haha. Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Mono5
Thank you!! :smile: Sorry, I should have explained further about the Graphic-y side of things. In my school, the old Graphics GCSE was all about product and industrial design and was more of a Tech subject, however last year they changed it completely so that it was an Art subject. The Graphics GCSE now in our school is pretty much identical to the Art GCSE only that we mainly use photoshop and photography in Graphics, which is something you don't really use in Art. Both of the exams are pretty much the same, so if using references in the Art exam is okay then I suspect it will the same in the Graphics exam :smile:

Thank you for your response! :biggrin:

Oh cool! I guess it does make sense if both of the exams are pretty much the same so you should be allowed to bring extra resources with you during your exam then! Yayay and good luck! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Im doing this exam too. Yes, ive been told we can take any research into the exam.
P.s what topic/project choice are you doing and what exam board are you with? :-)
Reply 11
Hiya, thanks for the response!!
Our school is going with the OCR exam board, and I've picked 'caged' as the theme for my art and 'night time' for my graphics :smile:
Reply 12
What are you doing? :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending