The Student Room Group

Further Maths, should I?

Hi everyone! I am just about to sit my gcse's this summer and I am also in the process of choosing my AS subjects. I was just wondering whether or not AS further maths is too hard, I think I will end up getting A* in IGCSE maths, or is this subject only for geniuses who took maths a year early? Thx in advance
Reply 1
Original post by crimsonisliam
Hi everyone! I am just about to sit my gcse's this summer and I am also in the process of choosing my AS subjects. I was just wondering whether or not AS further maths is too hard, I think I will end up getting A* in IGCSE maths, or is this subject only for geniuses who took maths a year early? Thx in advance

A complete misconception there, I am in year 12 taking further maths after getting a B in my GCSE.

The content for further maths will usually be FP1, and 2 applied modules, the 1 and 2 applied modules e.g. S2 are quite easy to handle, and with an A* and a good work ethic you'll get an A at AS level (past papers and solomon papers) just make sure your ready to work, but it certainly isn't impossible
Reply 2
if you enjoy maths id recommend it, but id urge you to invest in a comfy pillow for those stats lessons.
Reply 3
Original post by crimsonisliam

It depends upon your modules, but normally the easiest would be S1 S2/D1 and of course the compulsory FP1 - which can be taught alongside C1. But I think A2 is where loads of people seem to find it difficult (so I've heard) as FP2/FP3 go well beyond C3/C4.
GCSE is a pathetic indicator as to whether you can do well in it as the person above showed - Maths & FM are more about working through the book then past papers.

Quick Reply

Latest