The Student Room Group

Topless Tunisians- what are your thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Captain Haddock
If I find a girl attractive I don't stare at them, why should it be different if her boobs are out? It should be the man's responsibility to practise some self restraint not the woman's responsibility to not get creeped out by drooling strangers. If somebody doesn't want you to stare at them then you shouldn't, it's just common decency. And I know what you're going to say: 'if you don't want people staring at you then don't be topless', but then we get back to the original point of men's sexual attraction overriding woman's freedom to do what she wants with her body.

+1
Original post by halbeth
By stating that the woman is simply 'crudely exposing a "sexual" part of her body' and 'satisfying male desire' you have entirely misunderstood what feminists are trying to achieve. The point is that her breasts should not be regarded first and foremost as a sexual object, it is objectifying women. She is a free human being and has the right to do whatever she likes with her body. If males perceive it as sexual or desirable, that is their problem. Not hers.

White knight (idiot) level over 9000!
Reply 62
Original post by Malabarista

Patriarchal Bigot Level over 9000!

See, I can use DBZ memes too. Funnily enough it doesn't alter the validity of my argument.

I'm in a happy, loving relationship, buddy. I just believe in equal rights.
Original post by halbeth

So it would be cool for me to just strip naked, walk out in the streets and show everyone my genitals?

Hey look an idiot teenager here to show us the errors of our ways through internet memes, how exciting!
Hey look an idiot teenager here to show us the errors of our ways through internet memes, how exciting!

Thrilled to be here myself.
Reply 66
So it would be cool for me to just strip naked, walk out in the streets and show everyone my genitals?

No, because it's illegal.

Should it be? Yes.

Why? Because male exposure of genitals in public continues to be done in order to harass (with the exception of nudists: who are all round pretty chill guys and there's a part of me which is pretty down with the nudist movement on the whole), because we live in a society that necessitates male sexual dominance.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by halbeth
No, because it's illegal.

Should it be? Yes.

Why? Because male exposure of genitals in public continues to be done in order to harass (with the exception of nudists: who are all round pretty chill guys and there's a part of me which is pretty down with the nudist movement on the whole), because we live in a society that necessitates male sexual dominance.

You can't argue that females should be allowed to expose themselves in public because they will be sexually objectified by men and then proceed to say that men shouldn't be allowed to expose themselves in public. A man is just as likely to be sexually objectified by a women. Is there anything wrong with that? No, because that's nature. Men and women shouldn't be allowed to expose themselves in public because it can be considered offensive, particularly when their are children around.
Reply 68
You can't argue that females should be allowed to expose themselves in public because they will be sexually objectified by men and then proceed to say that men shouldn't be allowed to expose themselves in public. A man is just as likely to be sexually objectified by a women. Is there anything wrong with that? No, because that's nature. Men and women shouldn't be allowed to expose themselves in public because it can be considered offensive, particularly when their are children around.

I'm arguing that in the context of the woman in question's situation, where she is living under extreme patriarchal oppression, the exposure of her breasts was a valid political statement. I'm not claiming women should just walk around with their boobs out all the time (why would they? It gets pretty darn chilly) and, as I've noted, in most cases of indecent exposure by men, it's done for the purpose of harassment. This is not the case with women, and this is because we live in a culture where males feel safer to act in a dominating manner.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by halbeth
I'm arguing that in the context of the woman in question's situation, where she is living under extreme patriarchal oppression, the exposure of her breasts was a valid political statement. I'm not claiming women should just walk around with their boobs out all the time (why would they? It gets pretty darn chilly) and, as I've noted, in most cases of indecent exposure by men, it's done for the purpose of harassment. This is not the case with women, and this is because we live in a culture where males feel safer to act in a dominating manner.

Well in that context, my advice to her would be that if she doesn't like Tunisia she should either go through the proper channels, i.e. using words to talk about her problems, or upon failing that just leave and claim political asylum somewhere. How can you claim to know why men expose themselves. Again, I'm not condoning it, but why do women have to have a different reason to expose themselves? I'm not quite sure what society you're referring to, but how do you arrive at the conclusion that we live in a society where males feel 'safer' to act in a 'dominating' manner.
Reply 70
Well in that context, my advice to her would be that if she doesn't like Tunisia she should either go through the proper channels, i.e. using words to talk about her problems, or upon failing that just leave and claim political asylum somewhere. How can you claim to know why men expose themselves. Again, I'm not condoning it, but why do women have to have a different reason to expose themselves? I'm not quite sure what society you're referring to, but how do you arrive at the conclusion that we live in a society where males feel 'safer' to act in a 'dominating' manner.

1. She has resorted to this because she lives in a society where words aren't getting her anywhere, if she can even use them at all.

2. Do you really think it's that easy to just leave your home country and claim political asylum elsewhere? You really are a deluded fool.

3. Anyone who doesn't see that we still live in a society where males are safer to act violently and aggressively towards women, and continue to do so, rather than vice versa, is an idiot, and isn't even worth the debate. One simply needs to look at rape, domestic abuse and sexual harassment statistics to see that.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by halbeth
1. She has resorted to this because she lives in a society where words aren't getting her anywhere, if she can even use them at all.

2. Do you really think it's that easy to just leave your home country and claim political asylum elsewhere? You really are a deluded fool.

3. Anyone who doesn't see that we still live in a society where males are safer to act violently and aggressively towards women, and continue to do so, than vice versa, is an idiot, and isn't even worth the debate. One simply needs to look at rape, domestic abuse and sexual harassment statistics to see that.

I think you must be the deluded one, claiming that anyone who doesn't agree that we live in a society where males are in a better position to act violently is an idiot. One simply needs to look at the statistics? What about the statistics?
Reply 72
I think you must be the deluded one, claiming that anyone who doesn't agree that we live in a society where males are in a better position to act violently is an idiot. One simply needs to look at the statistics? What about the statistics?

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/143910/sexual-offending-overview-jan-2013.pdf.pdf

https://docs.google.com/a/york.ac.uk/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjI0Eo6IUSaHdEVTMDRrSmpGV0t5cVhQY1paUlNfbnc#gid=1

Source: The Ministry of Justice

69000 females, 9000 males estimated the victims of rape each year. That sufficient proof for you?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by halbeth
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/143910/sexual-offending-overview-jan-2013.pdf.pdf

Source: The Ministry of Justice

69000 females, 9000 males estimated the victims of rape each year. That sufficient proof for you?

That doesn't prove anything. All it says is that more females are raped each year than men, and more specifically, by men. The legal definition does not allow for a woman to rape anyone. From legislation.gov.uk:

Rape

(1)A person (A) commits an offence if—
(a)he intentionally penetrates the vagina, anus or mouth of another person (B) with his penis,
(b)B does not consent to the penetration, and
(c)A does not reasonably believe that B consents.
Reply 74
That doesn't prove anything. All it says is that more females are raped each year than men, and more specifically, by men. The legal definition does not allow for a woman to rape anyone. From legislation.gov.uk:

You genuinely believe that there aren't more sexual assaults of women by men than vice versa? Are you honestly telling me that is a sustainable belief?
Original post by halbeth
You genuinely believe that there aren't more sexual assaults of women by men than vice versa? Are you honestly telling me that is a sustainable belief?

It's not a question of whether it's a sustainable belief or not is it? I've already debunked your statistics and even if you were to produce statistics of sexual assaults it wouldn't necessarily be indicative of the truth. Such statistics would likely be of the cases reported or the number of convictions, unless you're saying that all sexual assault victims report the crime. Even then, would such statistics back up your bold claim that male sexual assailants are awarded some sort of protection by society and that society encourages the sexual assault of women.
Reply 76
If I find a girl attractive I don't stare at them, why should it be different if her boobs are out? It should be the man's responsibility to practise some self restraint not the woman's responsibility to not get creeped out by drooling strangers. If somebody doesn't want you to stare at them then you shouldn't, it's just common decency. And I know what you're going to say: 'if you don't want people staring at you then don't be topless', but then we get back to the original point of men's sexual attraction overriding woman's freedom to do what she wants with her body.

Are you seriously implying a woman shouldn't have to take responsibility for exposing herself in public? Strong WK there bro, keep it up and maybe these shameless sloots you're trying to defend might thank you

(notsrs)

Phaggot
Original post by Sai4
x

:lol: what a tryhard
Reply 78
Original post by halbeth
Why? Are they your boobs? Staring at people is generally socially unacceptable. Why does not wearing a particular layer of clothing suddenly change this?

So, what if I were to walkout wearing a say, a mankini, nobody has the right to stare? If someone were to walk out in a pair of snazzy high heels no one has the right to stare? If you think they do have the right to stare, then the same ought to apply for breasts. After all, the more someone stands out, the more likely we are to look. The fact you're topless changes nothing, unless you wish to elevate breasts to a special status which pretty much defeats the purpose okf normalising toplessness.

You also claim that staring is generally socially unacceptable, yet you are here arguing for the right for people to parade around the place topless. If I stare at someone outside I may get a negative reaction, as it is an odd thing to do, the same with walking around the place topless.

They're not my boobs, however these are my eyes, I have every right to exercise my right to stare at whatever I like, in the same respect they ought to have the right to walk around to less.

Oh no, you must've missed the previous post I've made. If you wish to walk around the place topless, do so, however doing so comes with the consequences, people who really dont care and will stare. A woman's toplessness really ought not in the same respect override a person's(after all, some women do like breasts) right to look where he may want to, and in the same respect as the topless woman, he/she ought to know being rude comes with consequences.

Its like me as a man walking in a mini skirt and expecting no one to stare, as that does happen.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by halbeth

And when forced envelopment (not technically rape in the law, just sexual assault) is taken into account, the number of men and women rapists pretty much even out..

With women assaulting minors as much as men do

That aside then there is this post
Original post by halbeth
I most cases of indecent exposure by men, it's done for the purpose of harassment. This is not the case with women, and this is because we live in a culture where males feel safer to act in a dominating manner.

You cannot have it both ways. If women are allowed to expose whatever they want to, so should men no matter what. This just brings men back to the man who was arrested, and charged for indecent exposure for exposing himself in a skit walk which tends to allow topless women in them
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending