The Student Room Group

Should i apply for jobs now or carry on with what im doing?

I have 1 and a half months of university left and i finish my final year. So far im on a 2:1 and hoping i do well in my exams.

I will be getting a degree in computing, i am currently doing an internship for 3 months as IT support and i can carry on working there for free for however long i want.

I want to get into full time work, can i apply for jobs now and expect them to either offer me part time or wait until i finish my degree before i start work?
Original post by Chicken Hulk
I have 1 and a half months of university left and i finish my final year. So far im on a 2:1 and hoping i do well in my exams.

I will be getting a degree in computing, i am currently doing an internship for 3 months as IT support and i can carry on working there for free for however long i want.

I want to get into full time work, can i apply for jobs now and expect them to either offer me part time or wait until i finish my degree before i start work?

I say get your CV and cover letter ready and apply within 2 weeks of nearly finishing university or just finish your internship first and apply afterward. Its good to get the experience first I say by building up your work history. It put you in a good position. Personally I am on a gap year and will start my Computing degree in this September and any advice you can give me would be helpful.
Reply 2
Original post by Vibenation
I say get your CV and cover letter ready and apply within 2 weeks of nearly finishing university or just finish your internship first and apply afterward. Its good to get the experience first I say by building up your work history. It put you in a good position. Personally I am on a gap year and will start my Computing degree in this September and any advice you can give me would be helpful.

Thanks for the reply, well first of i guess make sure you know what your getting into. Computing focuses a lot on programming rather than the technical side so if you want to get into programming it will be fun. Your required to study a lot by yourself, you will get a module on one programming language and it will end there so if you want to learn more you will have to do so in your own time. Always keep up with your classes, you miss one thing and your confused for the rest of the semester.

I think the only thing i didnt enjoy was the group work, i didnt hate it but you just need to prepare to deal with people who dont put in much effort.
Thanks for the reply, well first of i guess make sure you know what your getting into. Computing focuses a lot on programming rather than the technical side so if you want to get into programming it will be fun. Your required to study a lot by yourself, you will get a module on one programming language and it will end there so if you want to learn more you will have to do so in your own time. Always keep up with your classes, you miss one thing and your confused for the rest of the semester.

I think the only thing i didnt enjoy was the group work, i didnt hate it but you just need to prepare to deal with people who dont put in much effort.

Ok thanks for that. Also how hard is it to learn Programming especially Java languange and whats HTML5 and CSS all about? I heard that web design and do they give you the notes on programming at the lectures.

Did you do anything on database and how the last year like especially the Thesis/dissertation project that you supposed to do?
Reply 4
Programming is stressful but that could probably be because i didnt enjoy it much (im a technical guy). If you do want to learn programming you have to put a lot of time into it. I learned Java and didnt enjoy it but i didnt enjoy HTML5 purely because a lot of the source code needed was available on the Internet. They give you notes on all your modules and sometimes ask you to buy textbooks to learn from.

I did databases in second year and didnt do anymore, you get paid a lot from databases but i find them so boring. You learn sql and data diagrams and if you pick it during third year your introduced to data mining.

I am about to finish my dissertation, one big tip is make sure you do A LOT of work near the start of uni. I am not going to lie, i am someone who leaves work till the last minute, third year has fixed that for me. Many people i know left their project near the end and now they are screwed. Also pick a project you can do because picking a difficult one to get higher marks just increases the stress a lot. While you are in your 2nd year summer holidays think of ideas for your project for third year. Since you will be doing computing you have to create a build (some program/database/website) while dong 10-15k words.
Reply 5
Most graduate jobs recruit before you've actually finished your degree.
large employers will probably have recruited their graduates for next year already. If you see posts advertised apply - they'll usually have a couple of weeks before the closing date, then they review applications, possibly take up references and invite to interview. The process can easily take 6 weeks, sometimes 3 months.
Reply 7
There are loads of jobs advertisements on jobserve.com and similar sites. You don't have to get on graduate scheme or something.
Reply 8
Just make sure you make a name for yourself out in that profession. In fact companies do background checks on computing forums to see how well you are known online.
Programming is stressful but that could probably be because i didnt enjoy it much (im a technical guy). If you do want to learn programming you have to put a lot of time into it. I learned Java and didnt enjoy it but i didnt enjoy HTML5 purely because a lot of the source code needed was available on the Internet. They give you notes on all your modules and sometimes ask you to buy textbooks to learn from.

I did databases in second year and didnt do anymore, you get paid a lot from databases but i find them so boring. You learn sql and data diagrams and if you pick it during third year your introduced to data mining.

I am about to finish my dissertation, one big tip is make sure you do A LOT of work near the start of uni. I am not going to lie, i am someone who leaves work till the last minute, third year has fixed that for me. Many people i know left their project near the end and now they are screwed. Also pick a project you can do because picking a difficult one to get higher marks just increases the stress a lot. While you are in your 2nd year summer holidays think of ideas for your project for third year. Since you will be doing computing you have to create a build (some program/database/website) while dong 10-15k words.

Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending