The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by SloaneRanger
Yeah, you are softie, which isn't a bad thing, thats why you can never con and honest person. Because an honest person wouldn't want something for free. There a lot of asians out there, that do scams like this (I am asian), trying to get something for free. At the end of the day, nothing beats an honest days work. As a student you can pretty much once you hit 18 get a contract from each firm on the high street, as essentially your credit score will be reasonable based on your property and those living at the address (if your property is not blacklisted). Usually if you do the credit check on the same day its just counts as one on your file!

If his parents can afford to pay £4,500, then why didn't he go to them in the first place if he wanted the money...... doesn't make sense.

Ah, I see. I know what you mean about honest days work, I'm always so happy when payday rolls around and I know the money I'm spending is all my own from hard graft and not just given to me by my parents.

OP: Just come clean and tell your parents, you're evidently not going to solve this on your own.
Reply 41
Original post by whyumadtho
...H...How did you fall for this? :indiff:

Because im an idiot. i get tempt really quickly because i like "iphones" and "money" and i like to "show off" and my friend kept persuading me for a few days to do this as he "TRUST" the guy he told me to "TRUST HIM" i knew this person over 6 years so i did trust him now his saying his sorry bla bla bla i feel like **** i don't even no what to do with my life i cant do nothing, i cant sleep,eat,drink i even stopped gym for 2 weeks now im soo stressed/depressed and scared.
If it was only last week, then according to most contracts for phone companies you should have 14 days to return the phone and cancel the contract and pay any remaining charges left that have been run up in the meantime. Things will get nasty if you just cancel the direct debits though. Hope you sort it out
Original post by H0ls
Ah, I see. I know what you mean about honest days work, I'm always so happy when payday rolls around and I know the money I'm spending is all my own from hard graft and not just given to me by my parents.

OP: Just come clean and tell your parents, you're evidently not going to solve this on your own.

Yeah, definitely I never use to appreciate a hard days work, till I finally did one. Just make sure you don't fall victim to this. Its so easy to offer someone a proposal, its up that person, whether or not they accept it.... Its called collusion what he's done and if that person was employed by a phone company, they take it very seriously, they have a database they share between all the telecommunication companies...for dismissals such as Box Breaking, Fraud etc.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by moomalade_815
If it was only last week, then according to most contracts for phone companies you should have 14 days to return the phone and cancel the contract and pay any remaining charges left that have been run up in the meantime. Things will get nasty if you just cancel the direct debits though. Hope you sort it out

yeah out of the 5 phones only 1 of them had 14 days return the other ones didnt.
i am too scared to come clear to my parents i will make them lose soo much respect for me, as i never had a job in my life and all my money and things that i have/do is from my parents and they will not be able to look at me again this will make me more stress/depressed if i can result this myself i will be happy n lesson well learnt.
So wait, you have 5 phones on contract? Can't you just return them to the phone company? If you bought them online/phone then you have 7 or 14 days to return no matter what.

Seriously how can you be this dumb to try and scam a major phone company.

I'm confused about your friend. You say apparently he works for a phone company? How do you not know where your friend works?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by moomalade_815

No 14 day cancellations on most networks, if you look at the T&Cs and there are clauses which state that it doesn't affect your statutory rights. Cancelling a direct debit doesn't help you, you still owe the money and they will chase it, thats the most stupid thing you could do. Other than not pay it, its a an agreement under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.
Original post by LoganYR
yeah out of the 5 phones only 1 of them had 14 days return the other ones didnt.
i am too scared to come clear to my parents i will make them lose soo much respect for me, as i never had a job in my life and all my money and things that i have/do is from my parents and they will not be able to look at me again this will make me more stress/depressed if i can result this myself i will be happy n lesson well learnt.

One thing you can do is, take out a loan to pay all these contract off.... your lucky because if you do call a phone company and offer an early settlement, they will take it. Usually a retentions team will take 2/3 of what is owed to settle the debt, rather than escalate it!
Reply 48
One thing you can do is, take out a loan to pay all these contract off.... your lucky because if you do call a phone company and offer an early settlement, they will take it. Usually a retentions team will take 2/3 of what is owed to settle the debt, rather than escalate it!

i cant take out a loan wont i have bad credit score? and i dont currently have a job im trying my best to get this job so i can pay these phones and ok i will phone them up and see if i can settle something with them hopefully they agree even if i have to pay £600 per phone but i wont have enough to pay instantly i will need to pay monthly
Original post by LoganYR
i cant take out a loan wont i have bad credit score? and i dont currently have a job im trying my best to get this job so i can pay these phones and ok i will phone them up and see if i can settle something with them hopefully they agree even if i have to pay £600 per phone but i wont have enough to pay instantly i will need to pay monthly

No you won't have a bad credit score yet, but to many searches over a short period of time will lead to your inability to gain credit. Any credit searches you have done, do remain on a credit for 12 months. They would never just accept £600 the cost of the hardware is more then £600....there making loss... its simple P&L for them......more like £3000 out of the £4500 to pay it in one hit. Sign up to a credit checking agency, it will tell you whether or not you are eligible to apply for a loan and which ones, like Experian?
Reply 50
Yeah, definitely I never use to appreciate a hard days work, till I finally did one. Just make sure you don't fall victim to this. Its so easy to offer someone a proposal, its up that person, whether or not they accept it.... Its called collusion what he's done and if that person was employed by a phone company, they take it very seriously, they have a database they share between all the telecommunication companies...for dismissals such as Box Breaking, Fraud etc.

Unfortunately for me, payday was yesterday so I have to wait a whole month for another one. I don't think I'll fall victim to these, I'm quite a softie but I'm not gullible (I hope!). Yeah, I was thinking if OP's "friend" was employed by a phone company, surely OP could "grass him up" or something.
Original post by LoganYR

How did you get these contracts if you do not have a job?
Original post by H0ls
Unfortunately for me, payday was yesterday so I have to wait a whole month for another one. I don't think I'll fall victim to these, I'm quite a softie but I'm not gullible (I hope!). Yeah, I was thinking if OP's "friend" was employed by a phone company, surely OP could "grass him up" or something.

He could do there is a phone number, for each company, any regulated business you can report fraudulent activity, anonymously.... and you can track the outcome as well! All phone companies are on it, same as banks.... I don't see how people can make friends with other like that. I always thought the concept of having a friend was you could trust them. He's obviously shown poor judgement and shows what kind of character OP has = dishonesty.
Reply 53
I'm sure if you made sense, people will understand you and suggest ways you might be able to solve your problem.

From what I have read, your supposed 'friend' has ripped you off. They ripped you off because they know that you are stupid which made you an easy target. I suggest you tell your parents since you said that they will pay. Suffer the consequences now.

Hopefully this will be a lesson to you.
Reply 54
the way i managed to get all these contracts because i was a good person to my bank i always had good credit score i put money in out constantly i also have direct debit with gym which shows i can pay for things. i just wished at that time my score was bad and wasn't able to get these dam phones. these phones have ruined my life im going to try solve it ill keep you guys updated on what i do. and i have loss all respect to my good friend and i no longer trust no one and will not be doing anything illegal!

And thanks to everyone who have tried to help me. im gonna try do all this by myself without my parents i dont want them to get involved i wanted them to be happy with me.
Original post by LoganYR
the way i managed to get all these contracts because i was a good person to my bank i always had good credit score i put money in out constantly i also have direct debit with gym which shows i can pay for things. i just wished at that time my score was bad and wasn't able to get these dam phones. these phones have ruined my life im going to try solve it ill keep you guys updated on what i do. and i have loss all respect to my good friend and i no longer trust no one and will not be doing anything illegal!

And thanks to everyone who have tried to help me. im gonna try do all this by myself without my parents i dont want them to get involved i wanted them to be happy with me.

Get it into your head, I doubt this guy was ever your friend, if you really want to get him into trouble and to surface again.
I suggest you do the right thing and actually report the phone and get them on the IMEI blacklist, so that if he does try to use them or sell them he will be the one who suffers the consequences as well.

http://www.immobilise.com

Then the police will be involved and he will get his comeuppance.

If he is asian, these phones are well on there way to India or Pakistan :tongue: and I don't mean to the IPL!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 56
When did you make the purchases, i was under the impression that when you take out a phone contract there is a cooling off period?
Reply 57
Original post by Raja1988
When did you make the purchases, i was under the impression that when you take out a phone contract there is a cooling off period?

i done all these last week Wednesday/Thursday.

and the guy was Somalian
Original post by LoganYR
i done all these last week Wednesday/Thursday.

and the guy was Somalian

LOL, you ever heard of like 419s etc, just don't trust these kinds of people. There completely different to the kind of people you get on TSR, you can get decent advice on here. People are pretty honest and decent on here, from most of the responses, Ive read to posts.
(edited 10 years ago)
Op stop saying you were forced to do this. You wasn't, you were stupid and greedy. The simplest way to solve it would be for your parents to pay it off, if you really wont do that then contact the phone companies involved ASAP. Tell them you cannot make the full payments, work out what you can pay (it will still have to be a significant amount) and arrange with them to pay that. Phone companies have allowed this for relatives of mine but never 5 contracts at one time. If you can't even pay that much then look into borrowing the amount. As you've already proven your stupidity i'll add avoid loan sharks and any loans you can't pay back

Latest