The Student Room Group

Medicine 2014 Applicants

Are there any prospective medical students out there, for 2014 entry?
Where are you guys thinking of applying?
I'm a non-UK EU-student.:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi !
Yes, I am thinking of applying for Graduate Entry 2014 entry. I am an international student as well adn am thinking of applying to KCL and Warwick at the moment. Where are you thinking of applying?
I'm not too sure for the colleges since I can't really be choosing any with a low GPA, I'm set on bringing it up to at least a 2.99 by the end of this year and a 3.2 by the first semester and if possible a 3.4/5 by the end of next year (I think sixth-form for Britain/ I'm a junior next year {US}). I'll start applying to Universities this summer if possible, especially in Ireland and the UK, I really want to be in either Queen's Belfast or Galway. If not Ill do it a bit earlier during the year.
I know, my grades are quite low for wanting to become a doctor, but I've got a backup plan in case medicine fails) I only chose this degree a few months before, fairly recent but I fell in love with Biology.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, non-UK EU entry for 2014 here too :smile:

Thinking about Edinburgh or Glasgow, Belfast, Cambridge and Nottingham

What about you?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Having received four rejections this year I am ready to reapply in the summer.
I am definitely going to reapply to Leicester but a lot of where to apply rests on the UKCAT so will have to wait and see for the other places :smile:
hi guys :smile: Im a prospective graduate student, i still havent looked into unis..when is a good time to start revising for the ukcat?
Original post by euphoricsmile
hi guys :smile: Im a prospective graduate student, i still havent looked into unis..when is a good time to start revising for the ukcat?

Most people seem to take a couple of weeks to revise for it. So pick a date accordingly. :tongue:
Reply 7
Thread for all those looking to apply to medicine for 2014 entry to discuss work experience, extra curriculars, universities and everything else related to applying!
Reply 8
Has anyone done pre med at imperial? people have suggested it but I'm unsure whether or not I want to fork out £100 for it?
Reply 9
Original post by StraightA
Has anyone done pre med at imperial? people have suggested it but I'm unsure whether or not I want to fork out £100 for it?

I wanted to do it, but its too expensive, plus my sixth form college got me on this access to professions programme at keele which did a Medicine taster day thing so I just settled with that.
I'm applying for graduate entry but currently on a gap year in NZ, kind of bricking it as I'm taking the UKCAT there and need to get everything sorted before I get back to England :'( I can get some work exp. when I get back, though I hope that will be enough to put in my PS!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck 2014 applicants, the process is long and stressful, but when you get offers at the end it will all be so worth it!

Idk about that, I did look into it. All these medicine taster courses are so expensive! I didn't get into uniq or Sutton trust either which really sucks... I think, so long as you have work experience to reflect on, it's fine. It's up to you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm kinda bummed because I want to do Medicine but like I'm not sure whether I meet the extra-curricular requirements like D of E etc. what are other people doing?
Reply 14
Original post by thegnaaarl
I'm kinda bummed because I want to do Medicine but like I'm not sure whether I meet the extra-curricular requirements like D of E etc. what are other people doing?

They're more interested in what you have learnt from what you have actually done and how what you've gained will make you a good doctor in the long term. So don't worry if you haven't done something like DofE, you could make up for it in other areas :smile:
Original post by thegnaaarl

You dont need D of E. I played no musical instrument, and only had casual sport/gaming as EC's and I managed to get through. As long as you avoid places who place a strong emphasis on EC's you'll be fine.

Original post by Aspiring Medic 7
Idk about that, I did look into it. All these medicine taster courses are so expensive! I didn't get into uniq or Sutton trust either which really sucks... I think, so long as you have work experience to reflect on, it's fine. It's up to you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The PotMed course at Imperial is really good - I think it was about £25 last year - https://www.union.ic.ac.uk/medic/muslim/potmed-2012/

They will probably run another later this year, I'd highly recommend it!
Reply 17
Im in love with Newcastle, its my first choice and I hope I get a good ukcat score fingers crossed
Original post by MikeyP96
Im in love with Newcastle, its my first choice and I hope I get a good ukcat score fingers crossed

Me too! I want to apply to Newcastle, but it's just the stupid UKCAT. I usually suck at these kinds of tests lol...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
What sort of work experience/ extra curriculars has everyone got?
I have:

1 week in a pathology lab in a hospital
1 week in various departments in a hospital
1 day observation physiotherapy
1 day observation in radiography

I also volunteer with young adults who have autism, learning disabilities, downs syndrome, physical disabilities and PMLD ( by the time i apply id have been doing that 4 a year)
Im a sexual health peer mentor at school
Im part of a youth council at Bham childrens hospital
Im part of youth department of health panel
Ive been volunteering at a charity shop for 2 years (3 when i apply)
I volunteered at a dementia care home for a week
I did Bronze D.of.E
Ive been doing karate for 6 months
I was part of an Awareness for Alopecia campaign
Im part of a Medical Ethics group and Amnesty international group
I do HE+ and A2P Keele Medicine
I did Tennis for 2 years and Badminton and table tennis for 6 months

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending