The Student Room Group

exams!!! :eek:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by koolkate
I suck at calculations and PS questions. And I am not good at applying knowledge to exam questions in maths :frown:

Yeah, applying knowledge sucks :frown: Just study this year, and get unconditionals for uni next year. Nothing is worse than sitting here panicking so much about not meeting conditions :frown: So nervous it's unreal
Reply 21
Original post by Subtlety
Yeah, applying knowledge sucks :frown: Just study this year, and get unconditionals for uni next year. Nothing is worse than sitting here panicking so much about not meeting conditions :frown: So nervous it's unreal

So which Unis have you applied to and what did you get last year? (if you don't mind me asking)
I swear to god if I sat through the hell that is Higher English and end up failing...
Reply 23
So which Unis have you applied to and what did you get last year? (if you don't mind me asking)

Applied to to Robert Gordon, Stirling, Aberdeen, Heriot Watt and Strathclyde. Received 4 conditionals and 1 rejection, from Aberdeen. Got ABC last year in Computing, English and Physics :smile: Also failed Maths and Chemistry, but predicted AB in those this year.
Reply 24
Original post by TheFOMaster
I swear to god if I sat through the hell that is Higher English and end up failing...

I thought that last year, swinged a B, despite failing all the essays and close readings in class haha
Reply 25
Calculations in unit 1 are my weakness no matter how hard I try I always get them wrong. I haven't even looked at unit 3 maths yet and whenever I try to study I always get distracted, so far I have only done 3 maths PP over easter holidays. I AM SO FAILING! :frown:

I can do most calculations, it is where I pick up most of my marks, it's usually the written answers that are like 2 marks and need more than a couple of words where I lost marks :frown:

I've done 1 1/2 maths PP, so you have done more than me :tongue:
Reply 26
Applied to to Robert Gordon, Stirling, Aberdeen, Heriot Watt and Strathclyde. Received 4 conditionals and 1 rejection, from Aberdeen. Got ABC last year in Computing, English and Physics :smile: Also failed Maths and Chemistry, but predicted AB in those this year.

It's really wanted to get 5 As but after my prelims result there is no hope. Btw how on earth did you manage to get a B in english? I am surprised that you got a lower grade in physics than english as I find physics easier.
I thought that last year, swinged a B, despite failing all the essays and close readings in class haha

I'd love a B :tongue: It means if I went to Glasgow I could pick up an essay subject like History as my third subject, since I never took it to Higher :frown:
Reply 28
Original post by CSM1996
I can do most calculations, it is where I pick up most of my marks, it's usually the written answers that are like 2 marks and need more than a couple of words where I lost marks :frown:

I've done 1 1/2 maths PP, so you have done more than me :tongue:

I actually like multiple choice questions because you have 25% chances of getting them right. In my prelim I just randomly ticked boxes!

I have Only done 3 PP no other subject and I am sure you have done more than that!
Reply 29
It's really wanted to get 5 As but after my prelims result there is no hope. Btw how on earth did you manage to get a B in english? I am surprised that you got a lower grade in physics than english as I find physics easier.

Your guess is as good as mine. I hardly studied english at all. My most educated guess is the marker was on drugs.
Seducing a dame online with the fact of having coition with her as lickety-split as apposite is unsentimental and achievable payment most guys. Unfortunately, innumerable start a swat nigh the as a hold veer proffer to account of Internet seduction of women track down pointing after of shagging the twisted way.
Reply 31
Original post by TheFOMaster
I'd love a B :tongue: It means if I went to Glasgow I could pick up an essay subject like History as my third subject, since I never took it to Higher :frown:

What I found works in the essays is give a few valid points/quotes to answer the question, and just waffle about nonsensical events/scenes that you vaguely remember hearing about when you woke up mid nap in class. Seems to be the winning formula.
Reply 32
What I found works in the essays is give a few valid points/quotes to answer the question, and just waffle about nonsensical events/scenes that you vaguely remember hearing about when you woke up mid nap in class. Seems to be the winning formula.

Essays are alright but what's your secret of passing close reading and not running out of time?

Haha :L I get the joys of doing it on a laptop, when I'm not the fastest typer... Probs'll fail just from that!

Essays are alright but what's your secret of passing close reading and not running out of time?

Spew your brain on the paper, don't care for legibility *Bad advice*
6th Year student here. Doing Higher Chemistry and Maths. I know almost all the theory for chemistry, but calculations **** me over every time :frown: Maths I'm not worried about too much, just practice! Good luck guys :smile:

Calculations are the worst part of Higher Chemistry! Especially ones about excess. Boo. :frown:
Original post by ManicPumpkin
Calculations are the worst part of Higher Chemistry! Especially ones about excess. Boo. :frown:

Any particular questions? I can give you a step by step guide if you want?
Reply 36

Time was never an issue for me in Close Reading I don't think, but I just splurged english onto paper. Throw fancy terms like hyperbole and alliteration all over the place.
Reply 37
Original post by ManicPumpkin

Excess isn't too bad for me, anything that involves molar volume, and "A solution of potassium chloride and potassium carbonate is known to contain 0.4 moles of chloride ions and 0.4 moles of carbonate ions. How many moles of potassium are present" just....whaaat
Excess isn't too bad for me, anything that involves molar volume, and "A solution of potassium chloride and potassium carbonate is known to contain 0.4 moles of chloride ions and 0.4 moles of carbonate ions. How many moles of potassium are present" just....whaaat

I'm actually alright at those questions...sometimes. Oh I hate molar volume, especially when it involves amps or coulombs.

Ratio of Potassium to Chlorine = 1:1, Therefore 0.4 moles of K in KCL
Ratio of Potassium to Carbonate = 2:3, Therefore the number of moles of K is 0.4/3 * 2 = 0.27
Therefore total number of moles of K present = 0.4 + 0.27 = 0.67 moles :smile: (If this is wrong I'm sorry :tongue:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending