The Student Room Group

Science magazines?? Are there any?

So I've just watched tomorrows world on the bbc, which I love! Then thought "I'll go jump in the bath, an read that trashy celebrity magazine", I hate everything they write about, if much rather be reading something about science, new inventions or engineering. Are there any good science based magazines out there?
I googled "tomorrow's world magazine" but found that if was only published in 1998 due to poor sales :frown:
I read science books regularly but would like something to read on current affairs in science that was nice and condensed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
you could try the new scientist, which is a broad based science magazine not aimed at professionals, so you'd be able to understand the studies they highlight, and they cover lots of different areas, ranging from biology and medicine to physics and robotics :smile:
Reply 2
New Scientist.

EDIT: I forgot to mention Review. I steal them from my college library every couple of months and take them home. They are really good. There is one for each subject and is for A Level students. :smile:

I have quite a collection now! :colone: http://magazines.philipallan.co.uk/
(edited 11 years ago)
no, there are no science magazines... nor are there any glossy mags about celebrities
There are a number of simpler science-related magazines such as How It Works (which is also about engineering), although most appear to be for children.

NewScientist is a step up from this, but it's still definitely accessible. As long as you've got an interest in the sciences, you should be able to get through it with little trouble since it's nowhere near as complex as some of the more "hardcore" scientific journals. The only issue is that it's very expensive in comparison with normal magazine subscriptions, so unless you're sure you may want to buy a few issues from a newsagent before committing.

If you enjoyed Tomorrow's World, give BBC's Horizon a try. It's the BBC's flagship science program and it constantly covers fascinating, topical issues. I'm not sure if it's on at the moment, but you'll find lots of them on YouTube.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
I'd be pretty interested in a science magazine to go along with all the computer/tech mag's I have. They are always much better written and have interesting topics that affect the world, not that some woman has to much fake tan.
Reply 7
Original post by laurie:)
you could try the new scientist, which is a broad based science magazine not aimed at professionals, so you'd be able to understand the studies they highlight, and they cover lots of different areas, ranging from biology and medicine to physics and robotics :smile:

This is just what I want :smile:
I knew there must be something out there I'd just never really thought about it before, thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Chlorophile
There are a number of simpler science-related magazines such as How It Works (which is also about engineering), although most appear to be for children.

NewScientist is a step up from this, but it's still definitely accessible. As long as you've got an interest in the sciences, you should be able to get through it with little trouble since it's nowhere near as complex as some of the more "hardcore" scientific journals. The only issue is that it's very expensive in comparison with normal magazine subscriptions, so unless you're sure you may want to buy a few issues from a newsagent before committing.

If you enjoyed Tomorrow's World, give BBC's Horizon a try. It's the BBC's flagship science program and it constantly covers fascinating, topical issues. I'm not sure if it's on at the moment, but you'll find lots of them on YouTube.

I watch horizon too and all the late night bbc 2 shows, just never really thought about magazine before although when I was really young I subscribed to horrible history/horrible science and loved it :smile:
Thanks for the advice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
If the price is an issue, there's usually a copy of new scientist in town libraries.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending