The Student Room Group

AQA Psychology A - AS: June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jkizer
Unit 2 dude here! I hate Stress >.<

Same :s-smilie: and I haven't even finished it yet
I'm doing unit 1, unit 3 and unit 4 in the summer. I averaged at a D last year so I need to try to push my grade up!

unit 1: attachments and memory
unit 3: relationships, aggression and sleep
unit 4: parapsychology and phobias

I'm struggling to revise memory partly because I never understood it and i found it difficult last year so its even harder to revise! I also have a total of 7 exams in the summer of which 4 are resits so I have so much revision to do its crazy!
Reply 22
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Same :s-smilie: and I haven't even finished it yet

I spent Easter to try learn the stress topic and I think it's ok, but daily hasskes and life changes can truly piss off. Abnormality might be annoying to revise for also :frown:
Reply 23
Having the whole AS in one exam is no fun.
Research Methods
Biopsychology
Cognitive Approach / Humanistic Approach
Behavioural Approach / Social Learning Theory
Psychodynamic Approach / Individual Differences (Anxiety Disorders/Phobias)
And possibly something else which I cannot remember.... Good sign when you can't remember what the units even are.
SERIOUS REVISION NEEDED
does anybody have the January 2013 unit 2 paper?
Reply 25
Just making essays here! Should finish them by the end of the week!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jkizer
Just making essays here! Should finish them by the end of the week!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you please do outline and evaluate biological approaches to abnormality 12 marks. I'm kinda confused on what to write.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Finished all my notes on unit 2 now so I've started revision for it but I never start proper revision until a week or two before the exam :frown: going to try to do it a little bit earlier this time.

Went in for my remark on unit 1 and can't wait to see what it changes to (if it does). I hope it's not a waste of £50 :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Any ideas of what the unit 2 essay will be? Any predictions of 6/8 mark questions??? I'm stressing big time! X
Reply 30
Original post by khalidpatel
Can you please do outline and evaluate biological approaches to abnormality 12 marks. I'm kinda confused on what to write.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The biological approach suggests that mental illness is caused by physical factors in the body. One of these is genetic links, which have been discovered for certain mental disorders. One way of investigating these links is to study twins to see if one twin has the disorder the other twin should too. This provides us with a concordance rate. Joseph (2004) found high concordance rates for Schizophrenia. For MZ twins the rate was 40.4% and for DZ twins the rate was 7.4%. This suggests that there is a genetic link for Schizophrenia as the MZ rate is higher.
However, there are some problems with this approach. In terms of genetics, concordance rates are never 100, suggesting mental disorders are not purely caused by genetic factors. It is likely that individuals inherit a susceptibility to the disorder, but the disorder only develops if the individual is exposed to stressful life conditions. This is known as the diathesis-stress model, suggesting that both nature and nurture play a role, acting as a problem for the biological approach.
Also, some mental disorders have been linked to abnormal neuroanatomy. For example, schizophrenics have been found to have enlarged ventricles in their brains. Mental disorders are also linked to biochemistry. For example depression has been linked to low levels of serotonin (neurotransmitter) and high levels of cortisol (hormone).
However, in terms of neuroanatomy and biochemistry, we do not know if abnormal biochemistry is a cause of effect of mental disorders, as a link doesn't tell us which one causes the other, if there are causes of symptoms of abnormality.
Finally, some mental disorders may be related to viral infection in the womb. For example, Torrey (2001) found that many mothers of Schizophrenics had contracted a particular strain of flu during pregnancy.
Also, in general, the biological approach has lead to more humane treatment of people with mental disorders. Before these disorders were blamed on the devil, but now there is an explanation which offers a different cause, a potentially treatable one, showing how influential this model has been.
Reply 31
Luckily the exam is after half term, and its my last! Just gotta knuckle down and try keep a decent knowledge till then!
Reply 32
Any predictions ?

For unit 1 somebody uploaded this chart/table that showed what had come up in the previous exams. Anybody have anything similar to that as it really helped.
Reply 33
Does anyone know where i can get the 2013 markscheme and paper for AQA A psychology desperately need it
Reply 34
Original post by Mitche
Any predictions ?

For unit 1 somebody uploaded this chart/table that showed what had come up in the previous exams. Anybody have anything similar to that as it really helped.

Yeah can anyone post something like this? Would be very helpful! :smile:
Original post by WorkAtIt
Does anyone know where i can get the 2013 markscheme and paper for AQA A psychology desperately need it

PSYA1 paper and Mark Scheme: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=42256944&postcount=1266
PSYA2 Paper and Mark Scheme: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=42237612&postcount=112
Guys, I've finally done it, it basically shows you what has come up in past unit 2 papers, after someone requested it, took all day, but enjoy. Hope it helps, and sorry for the quality.
Reply 37
Original post by mynameisntbobk
guys, i've finally done it, it basically shows you what has come up in past unit 2 papers, after someone requested it, took all day, but enjoy. Hope it helps, and sorry for the quality.

i love you :smile:)))))))))))))
Original post by Mitche
i love you :smile:)))))))))))))

glad to help :smile:
Reply 39
Original post by Mitche
Any predictions ?

Do you have the link for the Unit 1 chart :smile:?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending