The Student Room Group

White British children outperformed by ethnic minority pupils,

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/mar/22/white-british-children-outperformed-by-minorities

"Nine minority groups of children are above the average, including Bangladeshi, Ghanaian, Indian, Sierra Leonean and Vietnamese, data reveals."

What about Polish people ? They are a huge ethnic minority. But they are white, so they don't count ?

Also, how do they explain the high achievements of Asians, particularly the Japanese, who perform well even if they haven't integrated into society.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by democracyforum
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/mar/22/white-british-children-outperformed-by-minorities

"Nine minority groups of children are above the average, including Bangladeshi, Ghanaian, Indian, Sierra Leonean and Vietnamese, data reveals."

What about Polish people ? They are a huge ethnic minority. But they are white, so they don't count ?

Also, how do they explain the high achievements of Asians, particularly the Japanese, who perform well even if they haven't integrated into society.

Hi I'm Polish = ) Also I'm head girl at my Sixth Form.

In our case it really depends on individuals and we really cannot be labelled one way or the other in terms of achievement.

In my Sixth Form there are 6 Poles apart from me and we all went for Oxbridge, five of us actually got in which was an excellent result. All of us did Maths as well. Are we the rule or an exception? I don't know.

On the one hand, the biggest Polish society is at Oxford university. On the other hand, some may underachieve due to the EAL issues, or simply not share the work ethics that Poles are usually known for.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by QueenOfSabotage
Hi I'm Polish = ) Also I'm a head girl at my Sixth Form.

In our case it really depends on individuals and we really cannot be labelled one way or the other in terms of achievement.

In my Sixth Form there are 6 Poles apart from me and we all went for Oxbridge, five of us actually got in which was an excellent result. All of us did Maths as well. Are we the rule or an exception? I don't know.

On the one hand, the biggest Polish society is at Oxford university. On the other hand, some may underachieve due to the EAL issues, or simply not share the work ethics that Poles are usually known for.

This makes me feel proud :biggrin: it seems I'm the only Pole that remained in my 6th form and performed well... (That I know of) Also only person in the sixth form who applied to Oxbridge.
... Relating to both of the above posts: work ethic and attitude to learning is an important thing :smile: I for one feel privileged to be able to live and study in this country so I make the most of it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Orenjichan
This makes me feel proud :biggrin: it seems I'm the only Pole that remained in my 6th form and performed well... (That I know of) (most of polish people i know are better not spoken of... i feel embarrassed for them,, but it's obviously just the crowd I knew)
Also, only person in the sixth form who applied to Oxbridge.
... Relating to both of the above posts: work ethic and attitude to learning is an important thing :smile: I for one feel privileged to be able to live and study in this country so I make the most of it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Orenjichan
This makes me feel proud :biggrin: it seems I'm the only Pole that remained in my 6th form and performed well... (That I know of) Also only person in the sixth form who applied to Oxbridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We tend to storm the top universities. I'm at Imperial College and visiting UCL, KCL, LSE there's plenty of Poles everywhere.
Reply 5
Who cares. Kids are kids. Asian parents tend to push their kids more anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Don't listen to all the above.

The Polish reality is that you have to bring the average of 95%+ home or you get severely punished by your perfectionist parents.

It's a cultural thing. Work hard and you will be rewarded by a better job. Unlike our feckless culture of entitlement.

I actually think Heseltine had something here that correlates with the issue.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/uk/too-rich-brits-lack-desire-says-heseltine-1-2855791
Educations very important to kids of ethnic backgrounds and it shows. You just need a good work ethic in life and you'll be fine.
Reply 9
No point ignoring the issue, large numbers of British whites have simply lost their work ethic. Its the simple truth. Its only natural after decades of getting handed everything you need on a plate, some people expect the state to provide and see no point in trying. You can thank the wishy washy no competition allowed culture that's been promoted for far to long.

What is this in aid of, democracyforum? Can't you go a day without some racial nonsense or other? :flutter:

Original post by Grenadier
We tend to storm the top universities. I'm at Imperial College and visiting UCL, KCL, LSE there's plenty of Poles everywhere.

LOL. Are you serious? There are also plenty of East Asians at those unis. There are also plenty of White Britons. etc etc

Really, it's all down to the individual. I'm at Imperial too, but I'm neither white nor Polish. :ahee:
Original post by MatureStudent36
It's a cultural thing. Work hard and you will be rewarded by a better job. Unlike our feckless culture of entitlement.

I actually think Heseltine had something here that correlates with the issue.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/uk/too-rich-brits-lack-desire-says-heseltine-1-2855791

And yet Britain is much more successful than Poland. Britain is the seventh biggest economy in the world.
Original post by Frube
No point ignoring the issue, large numbers of British whites have simply lost their work ethic. Its the simple truth. Its only natural after decades of getting handed everything you need on a plate, some people expect the state to provide and see no point in trying. You can thank the wishy washy no competition allowed culture that's been promoted for far to long.

I would agree with you. It was always the case of work hard at school and you'll be alright.

Now we expect. I remember reading something a few years ago where they asked a grop of ten year old girls what they wanted to be when they grew up. One of the more common answers was 'a celebrity.' We've created a generation where people aspire to be like Jordan. Talentless publicity hounds.
Original post by HumanSupremacist
And yet Britain is much more successful than Poland. Britain is the seventh biggest economy in the world.

Mainly due to a legacy left over from Empire. The Financial mile of the city of London, a permanent seat on the UN security council and a competent miltary.

Don't get me wrong, things aren't that bad here, but gone are the days that you'd see factory workers and miners sitting in librarys educating themselves on things like politics, philisophy and economics just because they wanted to learn stuff to better themselves.
Original post by MatureStudent36
Mainly due to a legacy left over from Empire. The Financial mile of the city of London, a permanent seat on the UN security council and a competent miltary.

Don't get me wrong, things aren't that bad here, but gone are the days that you'd see factory workers and miners sitting in librarys educating themselves on things like politics, philisophy and economics just because they wanted to learn stuff to better themselves.

I know - I was just being annoying. :tongue:

If you actually look at it, Britain is "failing" in comparison to emerging super-nations like India and China whose economies are rapidly growing. Even some economies in Africa have rapidly growing economies.

But you are white, and are not technically a minority.
Reply 16
You often find certain sets of immigrant populations value education very highly, it's much better than what they could get at home, and their parents know that, so push their kids to achieve well. It's not really surprising.
Reply 17
I think it could be a result of parents seeing that there are so many opportunities here that they didn't have when they were younger. Healthy encouragement is good.

Universities in Britain are definitely better than Ghana, Vietnam etc - so why would parents let their children pass up an opportunity that they know will better them in the long run.
Reply 18

I may be generalising but it seems many asian cultures put a big emphasis on pushing your children to work their very hardest. Here in the UK I think our culture is a bit more softly,softly, with more of an emphasis on things like developing your personality, less on grades.
Reply 19
Original post by HumanSupremacist
What is this in aid of, democracyforum? Can't you go a day without some racial nonsense or other? :flutter:

LOL. Are you serious? There are also plenty of East Asians at those unis. There are also plenty of White Britons. etc etc

Really, it's all down to the individual. I'm at Imperial too, but I'm neither white nor Polish. :ahee:

Err ok calm down... I'm pretty sure the Polish thing was just an example. I'm yet to go to uni so I'll be able to judge by myself but I sure know I'd be surprised if I saw a lot of Polish people at those types of places (but that's just my own prejudice against my own people :P)
Down to the individual - definitely. But surely if stats show some sort of trend (assuming they're reliable?) then there could be a wider cultural aspect that might affect so and so. This is why these types of thread cause such controversy xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending