The Student Room Group

White British children outperformed by ethnic minority pupils,

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Orenjichan
Err ok calm down... I'm pretty sure the Polish thing was just an example. I'm yet to go to uni so I'll be able to judge by myself but I sure know I'd be surprised if I saw a lot of Polish people at those types of places (but that's just my own prejudice against my own people :P)
Down to the individual - definitely. But surely if stats show some sort of trend (assuming they're reliable?) then there could be a wider cultural aspect that might affect so and so. This is why these types of thread cause such controversy xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

What exactly do we mean by "Polish people"? Do we mean those of Polish descent (i.e. born here, but having Polish parents/polish ancestry)?
Original post by democracyforum
But you are white, and are not technically a minority.

Oh, demo, make yourself clear.

Do we talk of citizen children here?
Reply 22
Original post by HumanSupremacist
And yet Britain is much more successful than Poland. Britain is the seventh biggest economy in the world.

There are a few quite obvious reasons for this. During WW2 most of polish treasures have been stolen or destroyed, these would include building which hold historical value and other object like paintings and jewels. Now, before you say 'oh a few paintings,whatever'. Pretty sure paris does quite well from museums and such, due to collections from all over the world.

Many people who were educated were killer alongside their families. From what I've read most politiciants, doctors, lawyers and university lecturers.

There's not much to see in Poland when you compare it to France or even England, so theres not much income from tourism.

Posted from TSR Mobile
And yet Britain is much more successful than Poland. Britain is the seventh biggest economy in the world.

Poland is the only country with continuous economic growth under recession. Before that they were growing incredibly fast.

I'm also Polish, in addition to my many other ethnic backgrounds and Polish is my 4th/5th language.

It would be strange for a 38mil country to overpower a 64mil one, but if you visited Poland you probably witnessed their individualism and incredible work ethics and with that it could potentially be possible.

Why do you think Russia doesn't grow?
Reply 24
What exactly do we mean by "Polish people"? Do we mean those of Polish descent (i.e. born here, but having Polish parents/polish ancestry)?

Good point, there definitely would be a difference with context. If it comes down to that, I must've been (automatically) referring to those who are Polish born and moved here (just cause that's my case and I only know a few people that are of Polish descent but born here).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Although important life isn't just about academic achievement anyway.
Reply 26

Really, it's all down to the individual. I'm at Imperial too, but I'm neither white nor Polish. :ahee:

Haha I wouldn't mind such entry requirement, but of course that's just not the case and yes you don't have to be white or Polish :wink:

Also, I'm not entirely sure how the admission proceedings exactly are conducted but isn't it the case that a Polish person is far more likely to potentially bar an entry for another Pole as opposed to different minority since they might be looking for diversity so having 3 Poles and 1 German for 3 places they're going to go for 2 Poles and the German giving they all have the equal grades.

Or did I just make it up ? :biggrin:
Original post by Nagisa0048
There are a few quite obvious reasons for this. During WW2 most of polish treasures have been stolen or destroyed, these would include building which hold historical value and other object like paintings and jewels. Now, before you say 'oh a few paintings,whatever'. Pretty sure paris does quite well from museums and such, due to collections from all over the world.

Many people who were educated were killer alongside their families. From what I've read most politiciants, doctors, lawyers and university lecturers.

There's not much to see in Poland when you compare it to France or even England, so theres not much income from tourism.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bit bold: Wait, what? But when that's argued for some countries in Africa, people just rubbish it away and say "Oh, no". So why should it be allowed to explain Poland? :holmes: Unless of course, it applies to both?
Original post by Grenadier
Haha I wouldn't mind such entry requirement, but of course that's just not the case and yes you don't have to be white or Polish :wink:

Also, I'm not entirely sure how the admission proceedings exactly are conducted but isn't it the case that a Polish person is far more likely to potentially bar an entry for another Pole as opposed to different minority since they might be looking for diversity so having 3 Poles and 1 German for 3 places they're going to go for 2 Poles and the German giving they all have the equal grades.

:lolwut:

Did you just say what I think you said? :shock:
Original post by Bourgeoisie
Poland is the only country with continuous economic growth under recession. Before that they were growing incredibly fast.

I'm also Polish, in addition to my many other ethnic backgrounds and Polish is my 4th/5th language.

It would be strange for a 38mil country to overpower a 64mil one, but if you visited Poland you probably witnessed their individualism and incredible work ethics and with that it could potentially be possible.

Why do you think Russia doesn't grow?

Clearly the success of a country is not based on academic achievement alone. I was just jesting with that post above. :colonhash:

I'm not denigrating Poland at all. If anything, Britain can attribute its privileged position to its history of pillaging, stealing, warring and generally violating the sovereignty of several autonomous nations across the planet.
is anyone else just sick of hearing about this stuff? sick of hearing about races, minorities, ethnicities, all this divisive, petty bull****? I come across some nothing discussion like this every single day and really who gives a toss about any of it?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Grenadier

That might be the case in London as I've heard you guys have some actual regulations in terms of admissions such as 50% UK 50% Abroad.

In Oxford, however, it seems like they're only admitting Poles! I'm Jewish and my family comes from Poland but I have a Israeli-British dual citizenship so obviously I'm keen towards Polish presence.
Reply 32
There's quite a few comments on that article with valid questions, I'm surprised they even published the article it's open to too many questions.

If it is true, well, I put it down to the older generation of people aged around 35-55, which consists of most parents. They cry all the time about how hard their lives have been, how difficult it is with their mortgage and 2 cars, they care about themselves and whimper while their children are cooped up in their room on the Xbox. They sit there saying their kids have it easy, while their kids can barely do basic maths (whose fault is that?).

It's comments like these...

Original post by MatureStudent36
It's a cultural thing. Work hard and you will be rewarded by a better job. Unlike our feckless culture of entitlement.

Who is he talking about, the little kids? It's the age group I mentioned above, they're the people running the country are they not? They're the teachers, in government, running businesses, the role-models of our society, they just suck at it. They will stand there, look down at a 7 year old and tell him it's their own fault they are underachieving, whilst acting like a greedy little child themselves. People in their 60's I've spoke to about this over the years told me their own childrens generation (currently in their 40's) developed a society of selfishness and greed... everything is everyone elses fault. Young people now have to hear about the hardships of the older person earning 40k a year, while moaning about what they could have had if society wasn't so harsh on them, such as a yacht or their very own tropical island.

This is British culture now, if you are a teenager or in your 20's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's then just laugh it off, 60+ yr olds DO look at the youth of today and understand it. Young people will make Britain a respectable place again one day, we just have to see through a few decades of the wimps that had it easy.
I know - I was just being annoying. :tongue:

If you actually look at it, Britain is "failing" in comparison to emerging super-nations like India and China whose economies are rapidly growing. Even some economies in Africa have rapidly growing economies.

I'd agree they're growing, but they're growing from a lower level and they do have huge populations that also help grow GDP. I think we're far from a failing nation. We just need a nudge in the right direction.

i do actually think this credit crisis may have given us that kick up the back side.
Original post by Evie Ninnenbaum
That might be the case in London as I've heard you guys have some actual regulations in terms of admissions such as 50% UK 50% Abroad.

In Oxford, however, it seems like they're only admitting Poles! I'm Jewish and my family comes from Poland but I have a Israeli-British dual citizenship so obviously I'm keen towards Polish presence.

You do all realise that in the highest British institutions there isn't actually an official positive discrimination policy for Polish people right? This thread just seems to have turned into a random Polish Nationalist drum-banging fest. :lol:
they are above average because their parents and culture tell them that studying is their only life goal and nothing else
Original post by Creat0r
There's quite a few comments on that article with valid questions, I'm surprised they even published the article it's open to too many questions.

If it is true, well, I put it down to the older generation of people aged around 35-55, which consists of most parents. They cry all the time about how hard their lives have been, how difficult it is with their mortgage and 2 cars, they care about themselves and whimper while their children are cooped up in their room on the Xbox. They sit there saying their kids have it easy, while their kids can barely do basic maths (whose fault is that?).

It's comments like these...

Who is he talking about, the little kids? It's the age group I mentioned above, they're the people running the country are they not? They're the teachers, in government, running businesses, the role-models of our society, they just suck at it. They will stand there, look down at a 7 year old and tell him it's their own fault they are underachieving, whilst acting like a greedy little child themselves. People in their 60's I've spoke to about this over the years told me their own childrens generation (currently in their 40's) developed a society of selfishness and greed... everything is everyone elses fault. Young people now have to hear about the hardships of the older person earning 40k a year, while moaning about what they could have had if society wasn't so harsh on them, such as a yacht or their very own tropical island.

This is British culture now, if you are a teenager or in your 20's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's then just laugh it off, 60+ yr olds DO look at the youth of today and understand it. Young people will make Britain a respectable place again one day, we just have to see through a few decades of the wimps that had it easy.

good to hear :smile:
I know in Asian culture that the children are expected to support the parents when they get older, which is obviously going to be easier if they have a better job, so that may be a factor.

Quick Reply

Latest