The Student Room Group

Manchester, Newcastle, Bristol, Leeds, Sheffield - which is the safest city?

Hello people!

I'm an international student looking to study in the UK. I've gotten unconditional offers from the University of Sheffield, University of Manchester and Newcastle University. I got conditional offers from University of Bristol and University of Leeds.

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of studying in each university? I'm more interested in whether the CITY in general and the CAMPUS/ UNIVERSITY AREAS are SAFE for an international student. (How is the crime rate? Will I get mugged/ raped/ stabbed whatever if I'm walking on the streets alone at night? How kind is the city to international students? Is there discrimination? I'm Chinese by the way.:redface:)

I'm really confused, and it will be great if someone can help me with your opinions.

Thank you guys!
Firstly welcome to TSR :smile:

You get idiots in any city, people who try to take advantage of anyone who happens to be around at the wrong time. However, campuses on the whole are very safe places to be; they are full of other students, plus faculty. Accommodation often has 24-hour security teams plus CCTV and two or even three locks (building entrance, flat entrance, room entrance). Regarding the cities, as long as you stay with another person when you're out at night and avoid any dodgy places like dark alleys and unused lanes, you should be fine. If you get any trouble when you're in town, calmly walk away. Again, stay with your friends and if you need to, walk up to a club bouncer / police officer, they're paid to make sure you're safe and they're everywhere if you stay near busy parts of town.

Good luck, I hope you choose the right university and most importantly, enjoy your experience. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by British-Student
Firstly welcome to TSR :smile:

You get idiots in any city, people who try to take advantage of anyone who happens to be around at the wrong time. However, campuses on the whole are very safe places to be; they are full of other students, plus faculty. Accommodation often has 24-hour security teams plus CCTV and two or even three locks (building entrance, flat entrance, room entrance). Regarding the cities, as long as you stay with another person when you're out at night and avoid any dodgy places like dark alleys and unused lanes, you should be fine. If you get any trouble when you're in town, calmly walk away. Again, stay with your friends and if you need to, walk up to a club bouncer / police officer, they're paid to make sure you're safe and they're everywhere if you stay near busy parts of town.

Good luck, I hope you choose the right university and most importantly, enjoy your experience. :smile:

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news/local/sheffield-officially-safest-large-city-in-uk-figures-reveal-1-5578578

Sheffield has consistently been voted the safest city in the UK, no arguments really.
I live outside Sheffield and spend a lot of time there aswell as having many friends who live their and I've never had any trouble :smile:

Also the university's great and I wanted to go, unfortunately I didn't have the grades :smile:
Reply 4
Thank you so much for the reply, you guys! It really helped. Alright, so that's Sheffield down. Can anyone else tell me something about the other cities?

Quick Reply