The Student Room Group

16 year old jobs

Hey,
I was just wondering if anyone knew where I could get a job?
I'm 16 and am hoping for some part time work over the summer holidays. I already have a paper round that I do on weekday mornings.
Also if anyone who had/has a job at the age of 16, could you tell me your experience of it + where it was?
Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Katie1210
Hey,
I'm 16 and am hoping for some part time work over the summer holidays. I already have a paper round that I do on weekday mornings.
Also if anyone who had/has a job at the age of 16, could you tell me your experience of it + where it was?

Mcdonalds maybe- they have many branches so many opportunities throughout the country
Reply 2
Thankyou :smile:

anyone else? x
I started working for Topman / Arcadia when i was 16 :smile:
Reply 4
Any retail store really. GO IN, speak to the manager and drop your CV off. Be nice and confident, because your 16 you (probably) don't have any qualifications yet, so the impression you make on them will be important if you want an interview. I got a job in PCWorld in my work experience, because I got bored stacking shelves and went out there and sold stuff, in a really good way. End of the day, friends with the managers and a job when I turned 16. Never looked back.

Wouldn't recommend McDonalds, the place just looks awful and the types of customers you get there will probably be worse than another store. Go for a clothes shop, supermarket, or retail store.

Tom :smile:
Reply 5
bump
Waitressing? Or Baby-sitting if you know people with young children?
Or alternatively cleaning? I worked at a B&B when I was 16 over the summer as it was the high season, didn't really have much previous experience just went and asked if she'd be willing to teach me her methods and it worked out fine.

Good luck :smile:.
Reply 7
Original post by hopefulmedic28
Waitressing? Or Baby-sitting if you know people with young children?
Or alternatively cleaning? I worked at a B&B when I was 16 over the summer as it was the high season, didn't really have much previous experience just went and asked if she'd be willing to teach me her methods and it worked out fine.

Good luck :smile:.

Any proper babysitting work will need an enhanced CRB check if you start babysitting with people you don't really know. They're expensive to get and need renewing every time somebody new employs you.
Could you? Well, that depends on you. There's no law against it - yet.
Original post by sabian92
Any proper babysitting work will need an enhanced CRB check if you start babysitting with people you don't really know. They're expensive to get and need renewing every time somebody new employs you.

Yes, but if you know a neighbour with kids they're unlikely to ask for a CRB check, you're definitely right though, I wasn't suggesting babysitting for families the OP didn't know - gets pretty complicated to set up!
Reply 10
Original post by Katie1210
Hey,

Don't apply to Dunelm Mill, that place will suck out your soul and use it to take a fat dump on your head. I worked there part time for 2 years and can't put into words how much I hated it. (Unfortunately I couldn't get another job which is why I stayed).
Pretty much any retail shop, I started working at next when I was 16, been there 10 months now and I've noticed that the staff rarely exceed 20 years old. Tonnes of 16-18 year olds

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by hopefulmedic28
Yes, but if you know a neighbour with kids they're unlikely to ask for a CRB check, you're definitely right though, I wasn't suggesting babysitting for families the OP didn't know - gets pretty complicated to set up!

Ah okay, just throwing it out there. It can be quite problematic if you start babysitting for strangers :biggrin:

Original post by Officegirl4
Pretty much any retail shop, I started working at next when I was 16, been there 10 months now and I've noticed that the staff rarely exceed 20 years old. Tonnes of 16-18 year olds

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's because they're cheaper to employ. A lot of my friends when they were 16 got jobs, then at 18 they were sacked for various "reasons" because they had to be paid more. Cue more 16 year old cheap labour....
Ah okay, just throwing it out there. It can be quite problematic if you start babysitting for strangers :biggrin:

Agreed! :^_^:
Reply 14
It's because they're cheaper to employ. A lot of my friends when they were 16 got jobs, then at 18 they were sacked for various "reasons" because they had to be paid more. Cue more 16 year old cheap labour....

Where I work, (Dixons ie. CurrysPCWorld) we get a standard minimum wage pay for 21 yr olds (£6.19). And from other people my age who have jobs in retail I think it is the same. If your doing the same work as another person, then to pay you less (as I see it) is discrimination against your age.
Reply 15
Original post by dathtom
Where I work, (Dixons ie. CurrysPCWorld) we get a standard minimum wage pay for 21 yr olds (£6.19). And from other people my age who have jobs in retail I think it is the same. If your doing the same work as another person, then to pay you less (as I see it) is discrimination against your age.

Minimum wage differs though so I think it has an exception with it in the legal stuff for it.

I worked in a shop last summer and I was on minimum wage for my age (19 at the time). I did exactly the same as everybody else including a girl I went to school with but she was on the 21+ wage because of her age. Nothing you can do about it unfortunately.
Reply 16
I started working for Boots when I was 16. I was 2 months away from turning 17 but still.. It's in London and the pay rate was quite good (£7.50 p/h) so I'd suggest you try apply to stores in London, if you can
You could do babysitting or pet-sitting. There are online sites where you can get in contact with families needing help looking after their kids of people going on holiday and needing someone to look after their pets. I've found a couple jobs that way but I live in Switzerland. Or tutoring younger kids is another idea which I'm also going to start doing next week. It's a good idea if you're really strong in a subject like maths where lots of people struggle. Hope this helped!
I worked at waitrose. £7.11 an hour.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd recommend maybe doing some volunteer work in a charity shop to get experience (most places will want at least some experience)
But I have a coworker who's 16 working with me at Debenhams.
Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending