The Student Room Group

What is something that is widely known to your gender but not the other?

Scroll to see replies

Some phrases. Men recognise that the term "bubbly with a pretty face" generally means fat, some women get this and others don't.

Seriously never describe a friend as being "bubbly with a pretty face" to a guy.
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
That we don't just ignore talented women and hire men instead; it's just women don't often even apply, and if they do, they normally bugger off after a few years to hatch their younglings.

In all fairness, they're your "younglings" too.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
In all fairness, they're your "younglings" too.

They're not mine.

For some pretty sound reasons of biology, I won't be having children. Other people's children are not mine.
They're not mine.

For some pretty sound reasons of biology, I won't be having children. Other people's children are not mine.

I meant 'you' as in 'men'. Not specifically you. Men who are given a job are just as likely to become parents as women, it's just unfortunate that women have to take time off due to the physical aspects of pregnancy/childbirth/etc. Although the balance may change considering the fact that it's becoming more common for men to share in leave much more equally than ever.
Original post by Holby_fanatic
PMS does exist.

We are widely aware of that, thanks.
Original post by Llewellyn_J
I beg to differ. A good hard kick to the balls would definitely be as painful if not more painful than birth. It can paralyze a guy with pain for days. Plus, women get all these hormonal releases to help them deal with the pain. We don't get any of that. I think people just say that because women do all the work in bringing the baby into the world (usually) minus the sex, so they deserve a little ass-kissing and validation.

How many people have you heard of that have died from being kicked in the balls? Now compare that to the number of women that have died in childbirth. :rolleyes:
Just spent a good 20 minutes procrastinating by reading this thread :colondollar: *scurries back to revision*
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I meant 'you' as in 'men'. Not specifically you. Men who are given a job are just as likely to become parents as women, it's just unfortunate that women have to take time off due to the physical aspects of pregnancy/childbirth/etc. Although the balance may change considering the fact that it's becoming more common for men to share in leave much more equally than ever.

No, they don't. They choose to. My mother didn't take a single day off work after either my birth or that of my sister.
No, they don't. They choose to. My mother didn't take a single day off work after either my birth or that of my sister.

Not a single day? So she wasn't kept in hospital at all? Her labour handily fell outside of working hours? Fair play to her.
Reply 109
Original post by Rybee
Also, girls don't appreciate how hard it can be for a boy to piss in the morning straight after they wake up...

Goes all up the walls and shower curtains and that.

no worries hah!

And that's why you piss in the shower.

Also, I'm intrigued by how many women find it awkward talking about periods to other women. None of my female friends have much of a problem discussing it. :dontknow:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Rybee
All guys know what this is:

what is that? :confused:
Original post by Emmak7
This is something that might even be unknown to many girls but is certainly unknown to all men.

The pain from having genital hair get stuck to the glue from the pad. Sometimes close trimming/shaving has its benefits. :tongue:

Or when you havent trimmed or waxed in a while/ when you've only just started and you've not got to the age where you trim, and blood gets tangled in it !! :puke:
Original post by RattyApple
The legal requirement now is at least 2 weeks off. But the physical aspects are that often it's too much for a women to go back then, and they do have a legal right to at least 6 months should they want to.

I don't think people should have a legal right to maternity or paternity leave at all; having a child is entirely voluntary and you shouldn't get special privileges for availing yourself of a voluntary choice.

I disagree with practically all of employment law; in my opinion, the only 'employment right' you should have is the right to quit.
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx

Casting couch, I think. (google it)

And I've got one.
If I talk to you it doesn't mean that I have a crush on you. I don't think this applies to many people over 10, but boy, as a kid if you talked to someone of the opposite gender, bam, you automatically fancy them. Gah, so annoying.
Original post by Sphodromantis
Most men have tried to suck themselves. If you know what I mean.

Wtf I'm a boy and I haven't tried that.
Original post by Lexi99
We know when a guy fancies us, it's not rocket science to work out.

Hah that made me laugh. In the same way it's obvious to you when a girl likes a guy, it's obvious to us when a guy likes a girl. It doesn't work the other way round, I'm afraid to say that girls are either clueless when it comes to this or deluded into thinking everyone likes them.

Original post by Sphodromantis
Most men have tried to suck themselves. If you know what I mean.

:K: You'd be the first man I'd met that actually had... We were all just bantering man, didn't you get the memo?

:rofl:. Priceless.

My one would be that you don't need PMS to be in a bad mood for no reason. Sometimes you just wake up on the wrong side of the bed, this doesn't mean there's something wrong or that a guy has had any sort of complex thought at all, and pestering him with 'what's wrong/why bad mood/relationship talk' just makes it worse.
I don't think people should have a legal right to maternity or paternity leave at all; having a child is entirely voluntary and you shouldn't get special privileges for availing yourself of a voluntary choice.

I disagree with practically all of employment law; in my opinion, the only 'employment right' you should have is the right to quit.

Not really, we need people to have children else we would die out, what are you? 12 years old? Clearly you havent had children. And it would be stupid to say only people on benefits without a job can have children, which is kinda what you're suggesting they do as that doesnt require maternity leave. And you clearly haven't studied psychology before ... an early parent-child bond is essential, which without having time off is hard seeing as babies sleep a lot, so they'd conveniently have to be awake at the right times (couple of hours between waking up and work then say 6-8 hours between getting home and going to bed) which if you know anything about babies, doesn't happen.
(edited 11 years ago)
Newton's Fourth Law of Motion.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by anonymouspie227

If I talk to you it doesn't mean that I have a crush on you. I don't think this applies to many people over 10, but boy, as a kid if you talked to someone of the opposite gender, bam, you automatically fancy them. Gah, so annoying.

To be fair, that's not really our fault, and women do it too. It's Hollywood who have made it a rule that if a male and female character talk to eachother alone, they get together by the end of the film. Always. Brain washing win :borat:
Reply 119

It's the casting couch.

All guys from 14 up know this, I actually chuckled that someone posted it, I wouldn't have thoguht to!

Quick Reply

Latest