The Student Room Group

Gcse pastpaper question!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by TenOfThem
Look at the way have written the vectors

Look at a and b

You need to make (40)\begin{pmatrix} 4 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} out of them ... it is pretty easy

Well from VW its (4,0), no yaxis .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
But theres no connection with OU+UV ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by justwork
Well from VW its (4,0), no yaxis .

Yes, that is what I said

You need to use a and b to make that
Reply 23
Original post by TenOfThem
Yes, that is what I said

You need to use a and b to make that

Im sorry if i made some mistakes, Im just panicking when I get something wrong and it makes me hard to remember something. Do you mean 4a+b ? Something like that? Its really unclear to me, yet at the same time, i have done millions of triangle vector ones but the horizontal lines are the ones that I most likely would forget due to the panicking problem :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im sorry if i made some mistakes, Im just panicking when I get something wrong and it makes me hard to remember something. Do you mean 4a+b ? Something like that?

Yes something like that (but much simpler)

Its really unclear to me, yet at the same time, i have done millions of triangle vector ones but the horizontal lines are the ones that I most likely would forget due to the panicking problem :frown:

As I said this is an odd question
Reply 25
I think im getting to know it, what you wrote before in 1st page you said to me, that vw is 4,0
So I have to so column vectors 2,2 and WP (b) is (-2,+2) so then I should do the coloum vector end to start which will be (-2,-+2) + ( 2, 2 ) = (0, 4 ) . But what about the terms, would it be a+b , if it is, why is it a+b?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think im getting to know it, what you wrote before in 1st page you said to me, that vw is 4,0
So I have to so column vectors 2,2 and WP (b) is (-2,+2) so then I should do the coloum vector end to start which will be (-2,-+2) + ( 2, 2 ) = (0, 4 ) . But what about the terms, would it be a+b , if it is, why is it a+b?

yes it is a+b

because (22)\begin{pmatrix} 2 \\ 2 \end{pmatrix} + (22)\begin{pmatrix} 2 \\ -2 \end{pmatrix} = (40)\begin{pmatrix} 4 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}

if you asking how using the geometry of the shape ... that is why I think that it is an odd question
Reply 27
Re the similarity question.

It might be easier for you if you draw the two seperate triangles, I find it does get confusing when they are on top of eachother.

AC you have 9. AB is 5.

So you can find the scale factor from these, remember big divided by small.

You have BE its just a case of multiplying the scale factor by BE to get P.

Re Q.

You have AE, so to find AD you must multiply AE by the scale factor. Then you need to minus AE off to get Q.

HTH
Reply 28
Thanks but lets say if it was say the second question is TU so its similar to VW but this time its vertical not horizantal, so it would be 0,4 and then we would have to find it S to T which would be -2, +2 but one thing that totally doesnt get in my head is the a and b terms, its like on purpose that I dont know how to do the a terms, even you said its simple and yet, I honestly dont know what to write exactly with the terms in this question !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Easy bruv, square 4 and 1 vfsdf ya get me
Thanks but lets say if it was say the second question is TU so its similar to VW but this time its vertical not horizantal, so it would be 0,4 and then we would have to find it S to T which would be -2, +2 but one thing that totally doesnt get in my head is the a and b terms, its like on purpose that I dont know how to do the a terms, even you said its simple and yet, I honestly dont know what to write exactly with the terms in this question !

0=2-2
4=2--2

I think you are being misled by the diagram

could you use

(55)\begin{pmatrix} 5 \\ 5 \end{pmatrix} and (32)\begin{pmatrix} 3 \\ -2 \end{pmatrix} to make (83)\begin{pmatrix} 8 \\ 3 \end{pmatrix}
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 31
I hated vectors, I just missed them out all together. Id rather drop a few marks and focus on subjects I can get my head around, then spend a long time trying to 'get it', to never actually get it, and not go through other stuff. Out of all GCSE Maths vectors is the only thing I just can't get!

It must just be one of those things!
Reply 32
Original post by Tinkletea
Re the similarity question.

It might be easier for you if you draw the two seperate triangles, I find it does get confusing when they are on top of eachother.

AC you have 9. AB is 5.

So you can find the scale factor from these, remember big divided by small.

You have BE its just a case of multiplying the scale factor by BE to get P.

Re Q.

You have AE, so to find AD you must multiply AE by the scale factor. Then you need to minus AE off to get Q.

HTH

About the Q
So its 6.4 x SF = 11.52
So 11.52- 6.4 = 5.12 ??? Seems to me Im doing the wrong method ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
I hated vectors, I just missed them out all together. Id rather drop a few marks and focus on subjects I can get my head around, then spend a long time trying to 'get it', to never actually get it, and not go through other stuff. Out of all GCSE Maths vectors is the only thing I just can't get!

It must just be one of those things!

Yeah, but i really want to grasp this years exam by the horns, since its my 2nd resit and I really need to enter yr12.
But im with you, I truly hate the bloody vectors ! Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
About the Q
So its 6.4 x SF = 11.52
So 11.52- 6.4 = 5.12 ??? Seems to me Im doing the wrong method ?

The method is correct
This 6.4 is some fantasy number that does not appear in the original question
Reply 35
Were are you getting 6.4 from hun?

You need to multiply AE by the scale factor in order to get AD.

Remember a scale factor is an 'increase' in one figure to get the other. Look at AB and AC.

AB is 5, AC is 9.

Therefore to find out the scale factor of these you need to just divide BIG by SMALL. So divide 9 by 5, and you have your scale factor.

Then look at the other side. You can see that AE is 8, which is part of the 'smaller' triangle, so how would you find what AC is?

The scale factor is the same throughout the whole question, so if AE is 8, you multiply it by the scale factor you found earlier, and to find what just 'q' is, you would need to take away 8.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 36
Were are you getting 6.4 from hun?

You need to multiply AE by the scale factor in order to get AD.

Remember a scale factor is an 'increase' in one figure to get the other. Look at AB and AC.

AB is 5, AC is 9.

Therefore to find out the scale factor of these you need to just divide BIG by SMALL. So divide 9 by 5, and you have your scale factor.

Then look at the other side. You can see that AE is 8, which is part of the 'smaller' triangle, so how would you find what AC is?

The scale factor is the same throughout the whole question, so if AE is 8, you multiply it by the scale factor you found earlier, and to find what just 'q' is, you would need to take away 8.

I shall repeat all again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Yeah, but i really want to grasp this years exam by the horns, since its my 2nd resit and I really need to enter yr12.
But im with you, I truly hate the bloody vectors ! Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats fine but try not let it occupy all your study time so you don't have time for anything else.

I started revising hard at the start of February, as I am sitting the exam in June. When I first started I was getting about 20 / 200 on the past papers. Now its more like 130. Thats without any vectors, and I am still not advanced on algebra.

I spent a good few days trying vectors and I just wouldn't get it, so instead went through the likes of similar triangles etc more closely, and I am confident I will get the B I need now.

Don't let it occupy you, watch videos, mathswatch, look it up in books, I find the videos are the easiest way to learn. Youtube Maths247 and examsolutions, there really useful.

Edit:

Also, sometimes you need to step back, let the information absorb and come back to problems you can't tackle.

I was stuck on solving algebraic fractions yesterday, but I left them and this morning I have got up and gone through some more and got them right.

Sometimes pushing yourself to hard will just blow your mind.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 38
Tinkletea, i got it but need more practice to sharpen it. Check it out !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Yeah and believe me, I also have to do 3 more subjects, the most tough part is I passed them on Cs but need As and Bs to enter yr12 ( chem,phy,eng,maths). A tough battle ! Btw when do your exams start ?

edit: cant believe i have sat 3.30 hrs solving maths pastpapers ! Time flies fast!
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest