The Student Room Group

Osborne uses a disabled parking space

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mad Vlad
Osborne was being driven and the driver didn't remain in the bay. This is a remarkably opportunistic and droll attempt at left wing satire.

Thank you, thank you. One tries. :colondollar:

Actually I tried it out as a joke on a few people and they laughed quite a lot, so it must have some capacity. :cool:
Osborne was being driven and the driver didn't remain in the bay. This is a remarkably opportunistic and droll attempt at left wing satire.

Are you sure the driver didn't remain in the bay? What I read said Osborne went and got in the car at the bay if I recall correctly.
Reply 62
Original post by rmhumphries
Are you sure the driver didn't remain in the bay? What I read said Osborne went and got in the car at the bay if I recall correctly.

In fairness, no. But seriously - who gives a ****. It wasn't Osborne driving.
In fairness, no. But seriously - who gives a ****. It wasn't Osborne driving.

That doesn't make it irrelevant. It was his official car - when he's in that car, he's the boss, not some police driver.

Perhaps they need to park close to the building for security reasons and if so then fair enough, but it doesn't look great, does it.
Reply 64
Original post by Fullofsurprises
That doesn't make it irrelevant. It was his official car - when he's in that car, he's the boss, not some police driver.

Perhaps they need to park close to the building for security reasons and if so then fair enough, but it doesn't look great, does it.

Tell me. If you're in the rear seat of a car and paying attention to anything but where you're being driven (as you'd expect the Chancellor of the Exchequer to be doing, seeing as he has a driver) and the driver reverses into a parking space, can you tell that it's a disabled space?

Unless there's big signs up indicating it, probably not.

Osborne was probably oblivious to it until the ****ty tabloids blew it up into the worst political scandal since Watergate. Just as he was oblivious when his cretinous staff bought him the wrong train ticket.
Tell me. If you're in the rear seat of a car and paying attention to anything but where you're being driven (as you'd expect the Chancellor of the Exchequer to be doing, seeing as he has a driver) and the driver reverses into a parking space, can you tell that it's a disabled space?

No.

Osborne was probably oblivious to it until the ****ty tabloids blew it up into the worst political scandal since Watergate. Just as he was oblivious when his cretinous staff bought him the wrong train ticket.

They hardly did the latter! It was seen as something mildly amusing by the papers, which it was, also this thread isn't meant to be a ringing denunciation of the Greatest Chancellor since the War for being a serial disableist.
As the daughter of someone who is disabled, I know how annoying it is to not be able to park because some non-disabled lazy cretin has parked their arse there because they cannot be bothered to walk a few yards into the shop. It's one of those things which makes my blood boil, especially as quite a lot of people seem to get away with it.
Reply 67
Why is anyone surprised?

We can expect this from someone like Osborne after all.

I still despise him though.
what a twisted fruit he is.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by HenryD
He got dropped off before it was parked and would've only been aware if he noticed at all when he got back to do what? That's right, drive away, out of the disabled spot. The best thing he could do to make that space available was get in as fast as he can.
I'm not Osbourne's biggest fan by any stretch of the imagination but come on, seriously?

It says something about the quality of journalism if this is the kind of thing making frontline news.
Original post by Jabberwox
As the daughter of someone who is disabled, I know how annoying it is to not be able to park because some non-disabled lazy cretin has parked their arse there because they cannot be bothered to walk a few yards into the shop. It's one of those things which makes my blood boil, especially as quite a lot of people seem to get away with it.

Whats your viewpoint in blue badge holders who are just exploiting the system? I see many blue badged holders who a trip down the gym might actually improve their situation and help to out in your predicament at the same time.

Not quite. Official car or not its the drivers responsibility. Just as its the drivers responsibility to fill it up with fuel.

By your logic I'm responsible fir the actions of my bus driver
Original post by MatureStudent36
Not quite. Official car or not its the drivers responsibility. Just as its the drivers responsibility to fill it up with fuel.

By your logic I'm responsible fir the actions of my bus driver

I think you'll find that's your logic, not mine! A bus with many passengers is hardly the same as a private car driven by one's own special team and a driver nominated to be at your service.
Whats your viewpoint in blue badge holders who are just exploiting the system? I see many blue badged holders who a trip down the gym might actually improve their situation and help to out in your predicament at the same time.

If they hold a blue badge, then they are disabled. Some disabilities are hidden, you cannot always see them. My aunt has MS, yet people would look at her and think she is fine. She can walk okay, but sometimes it becomes so unbearable for her she has to use a wheelchair. However, I do agree that some people use someone else's blue badge just so they can use the disabled spots. I have seen people leap out cars with a blue badge which don't appear disabled. However, it's one of those situations which you cannot judge, as disabilities can be invisible.
I think you'll find that's your logic, not mine! A bus with many passengers is hardly the same as a private car driven by one's own special team and a driver nominated to be at your service.

Surely though any passenger has to assume that the driver of the vehicle they're in has the correct training and understands the laws/rules/regulations that govern driving. If the driver does something like park in a disabled parking space, that's not the passenger's problem. The onus in on the driver to carry out their job correctly.
Original post by rlw31
How is the OP a hypocrite :confused: Did he also park his car in a disabled space?

I think he was referring to Osborne :confused:

Unless there's big signs up indicating it, probably not.

^^ This. I don't agree with you about the train ticket, but The Daily Smoke-and-Mirror have an awful tendency to really hate the Tory party... Because they are the Tory party. It must be a really slow news day if they are blowing this all out of proportion...

To OP and to everyone else - How many people have parked in disabled bays without a legitimate permit? Or stopped outside of a Greggs on double yellowed lines?

Both are obviously illegal - yet so many people deliberately break the rules. So tell me this - why is George Osborne penalised for doing something that millions of us do every day? You broke the law? You need to be be penalised for it.

I highly condemn Osborne's action if this is legit - but the sheer hypocrisy on this thread, and in real life, borders on delusional 'one rule for one, another rule for someone else' arrogance.

Side note; that photo of Osborne in the bottom, does anyone else think it's got an awful resemblence to Tarentino?
Original post by gateshipone
Surely though any passenger has to assume that the driver of the vehicle they're in has the correct training and understands the laws/rules/regulations that govern driving. If the driver does something like park in a disabled parking space, that's not the passenger's problem. The onus in on the driver to carry out their job correctly.

Really? I wouldn't be taking responsibility fir a driver if a vehicle.

you're making the assumption that Osborne knew where the car was parked.

Incidentally, you'll probably find out that his driver was a copper. Coppers and bodyguards tend to like to park near bushings so they're less exposed. If your really care that much take it up with a copper who's parked in a disabled bay whilst walking a shop lifter or mugger to or from the car.
(edited 11 years ago)

Incidentally, you'll probably find out that his driver was a copper. Coppers and bodyguards tend to like to park near bushings so they're less exposed. If your really that cancer bed take it up with a copper who's parked in a disabled bay whilst walking a shop lifter or mugger to or from the car.

What did "that cancer bed" mean?

The newspaper accounts already said it was a police driver, that's established.
What did "that cancer bed" mean?

The newspaper accounts already said it was a police driver, that's established.

I've edited it. My predictive text threw a wobbly.

Incidentally, you'll probably find out that his driver was a copper. Coppers and bodyguards tend to like to park near bushings so they're less exposed. If your really care that much take it up with a copper who's parked in a disabled bay whilst walking a shop lifter or mugger to or from the car.

What? Read my post again. I'm saying its nothing to do with Osborne and wasn't his fault. I'm saying if anyone needs to be blamed, it's the driver. Osborne clearly had no idea and like I said, he would have just assumed the driver was doing everything legally. To be honest though its a total non story and totally blown out of proportion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending