The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 720
Original post by Zzzyax
alkenes addition polymerisation happens :eek:
addition, 1 type of monomer is repeated, condensation can have 1 or 2 types
addition, addition of monomers across the c=c double bond, condensation: ester/amide linkage formed,water molecules released for every linkage formed, in condensation, but not for addition:frown:

yes. pretty much, why all the sad faces?

does

4-benzyl ethyl aldehyde sound correct as a name
Reply 721
Original post by otrivine
yes. pretty much, why all the sad faces?

does

4-benzyl ethyl aldehyde sound correct as a name

sounds a bit suspect to me, so theres like a ethane molecule with a aldehyde group and a benzene group but how can it be on 4position,

or is it a benzene molecule with ethyl group on 4 position , and an aldehyde on position 4 or something, no this name is unclear, do you mean,

1- ethyl, 4 methanal, benzene
Reply 722
Original post by Zzzyax
sounds a bit suspect to me, so theres like a ethane molecule with a aldehyde group and a benzene group but how can it be on 4position,

or is it a benzene molecule with ethyl group on 4 position , and an aldehyde on position 4 or something, no this name is unclear, do you mean,

1- ethyl, 4 methanal, benzene

Because I did question 2 on page 103, I got the structure but I dont know how to name it ?
Reply 723
Because I did question 2 on page 103, I got the structure but I dont know how to name it ?

1-ethyl,4-formylbenzene

or

1-ethyl,4-oxobenzene

have to use a prefix for naming the aldehyde because benzene goes on the end
Reply 724

but you probably wont be asked to name something as complicated as that
Reply 725
Original post by Zzzyax
but you probably wont be asked to name something as complicated as that

formyl , I never heard of that?:confused: I hope not!

OK

In a carbon -13, chemical shift why is it that some atoms or groups of atom have different chemical shifts (2)
Reply 726
formyl , I never heard of that?:confused: I hope not!

OK

In a carbon -13, chemical shift why is it that some atoms or groups of atom have different chemical shifts (2)

different electronegativities, means different exitation and relaxation energies of out electrons, (work function energy changes), when the radio wave hits the valency electrons the energy gap is equal to the quantum tunneling z., where z is a function of x. anyway when the radio wave photon(quanta of electromagnetic radiation) changes the alignment switches direction, relative to the magnetic field
Reply 727
Original post by Zzzyax
different electronegativities, means different exitation and relaxation energies of out electrons, (work function energy changes), when the radio wave hits the valency electrons the energy gap is equal to the quantum tunneling z., where z is a function of x. anyway when the radio wave photon(quanta of electromagnetic radiation) changes the alignment switches direction, relative to the magnetic field

Impressive!! :biggrin:

I was only looking for the key word electronegativities, do we need to know all of that in detail, does it say in book. Cause in examiner tip said you will not be examined in nuclear shiedling,nuclear spin,resosnance and shielding
Reply 728
Impressive!! :biggrin:

I was only looking for the key word electronegativities, do we need to know all of that in detail, does it say in book. Cause in examiner tip said you will not be examined in nuclear shiedling,nuclear spin,resosnance and shielding

alright i had a quick question , in C-13 NMR can the peak height be used to determine the number of carbon atoms in that environment?

because on page 87 peak appears to be proportional to number of cs in that environment while on previous page, it says unfortunately peak tells nothing about number of c's in that environment.

your thoughts?
Reply 729
Original post by Zzzyax
alright i had a quick question , in C-13 NMR can the peak height be used to determine the number of carbon atoms in that environment?

because on page 87 peak appears to be proportional to number of cs in that environment while on previous page, it says unfortunately peak tells nothing about number of c's in that environment.

your thoughts?

I have to agree with the first one, the peak dont mean anything, , the important aspects are the chemical shifts and the type of carbon environment by looking at the number of peaks. In the exam, often they tell you the formula of the structure and we have to use it to find potential structures.
Reply 730
I have to agree with the first one, the peak dont mean anything, , the important aspects are the chemical shifts and the type of carbon environment by looking at the number of peaks. In the exam, often they tell you the formula of the structure and we have to use it to find potential structures.

what does chiral pool synthesis mean?
Reply 731
Original post by Zzzyax
what does chiral pool synthesis mean?

is it the carbon atom that is attached to 4 different atoms or groups, and that the only pharmological active one that displays less side effect is formed? So, only one of the beneficial stereoisomer is made?
Reply 732
is it the carbon atom that is attached to 4 different atoms or groups, and that the only pharmological active one that displays less side effect is formed? So, only one of the beneficial stereoisomer is made?

sort of correct, enzymes used to make a pool of single optical isomers that can then be used to make the drug
Reply 733

1) uses of polyamides
2) observations during reduction of aldehydes
3) can you drink D2O and what does it taste like?
Reply 734
good luck everyone getting A* in this exam
Reply 735
Original post by Zzzyax
1) uses of polyamides
2) observations during reduction of aldehydes
3) can you drink D2O and what does it taste like?

1) bulletproof vests and protective helments in crash driving

2) goes from organe to green

3) Yes you can drink D2O because when you first consume alcohol, and then take D2O , there is a reaction that takes place in the body in which the D2O exchanges the hydrogen in OH with D and so results in less damage to liver as the OH in hydrogen is removed.
Reply 736
1) bulletproof vests and protective helments in crash driving

2) goes from organe to green

3) Yes you can drink D2O because when you first consume alcohol, and then take D2O , there is a reaction that takes place in the body in which the D2O exchanges the hydrogen in OH with D and so results in less damage to liver as the OH in hydrogen is removed.

no observations, with reduction, with the oxidiation its orange to green

:smile:
Reply 737
Original post by Zzzyax
no observations, with reduction, with the oxidiation its orange to green

:smile:

clever clog you tricked me :tongue:!

ok

Name two compounds that can be easily from benzene (2)
Reply 738
clever clog you tricked me :tongue:!

ok

Name two compounds that can be easily from benzene (2)

nitrobenezene, bromobenzene?
Reply 739
Original post by Zzzyax
nitrobenezene, bromobenzene?

no, it should be phenil,ethylbenzene, styrene
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending