The Student Room Group

Questions about pharmacy @ hudds

I have a few questions if anyone could answer that be great..

1. Does huddersfield set up placement years or do we have too?
2. Does huddersfield set up contact hours during the whole course (hours at hospital + community?
3. Why on unistats does pharmacy have the same stats as physiotherapy

pharmacy http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/overview/10007148-00000890
physiotherapy http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Subjects/Overview/10007148-00000025/ReturnTo/Search
Reply 1
1 - By placement years I assume you mean the pre-reg, you set that up yourself.
2 - During first year I had 4 full days placement, 2 at hospital, 2 at community, in later years this increases and I think you have some extended placements, and some in places like nursing homes.
3 - No idea :smile:
Original post by Andy_J
1 - By placement years I assume you mean the pre-reg, you set that up yourself.
2 - During first year I had 4 full days placement, 2 at hospital, 2 at community, in later years this increases and I think you have some extended placements, and some in places like nursing homes.
3 - No idea :smile:

Thank you sooo much

could you answer/ help me choice if i should put huddersfield as a firm

1. How easy is it to set a placement
2. Do most people doing the course get placements
3. Are you enjoying it
4. Would you say huddersfield is better than LJMU
Reply 3
1 - I wouldnt, know I've just finished my first year and you dont look for pre reg until 3rd year. The placements for 1 day are found for you though and I have found a summer placement this year.
2 - I believe all of them got pre reg :smile:
3 - Yeah I am, there is a good mix of practical and theory, I know a lot of uni's, I dont know if LJMU is one of these, only do theory for the first 2 years. In huddersfield you start dispensing, checking prescriptions and making products from the start. The lecturers all seem competent too which is a plus.
4 - I cant really comment on this, I didnt like LJMU when I was looking around, the labs seemed outdated and there didnt seem to really be any focus on pharmacy, it was just sort of lumped in with other stuff. In Huddersfield the labs are really nice and modern and the dispensary is the best ive seen out of all the unis I saw, it was only built this year but it can hold about 40 people, each person has their own PC with a label machine and you dispense an item and get it checked along with an analysis of it during practicals. I cant judge the lecturing for pharmacy in LJMU but my sister went there to do history and she got almost no support and the lecturers didnt seem to care.
Original post by Andy_J
1 - I wouldnt, know I've just finished my first year and you dont look for pre reg until 3rd year. The placements for 1 day are found for you though and I have found a summer placement this year.
2 - I believe all of them got pre reg :smile:
3 - Yeah I am, there is a good mix of practical and theory, I know a lot of uni's, I dont know if LJMU is one of these, only do theory for the first 2 years. In huddersfield you start dispensing, checking prescriptions and making products from the start. The lecturers all seem competent too which is a plus.
4 - I cant really comment on this, I didnt like LJMU when I was looking around, the labs seemed outdated and there didnt seem to really be any focus on pharmacy, it was just sort of lumped in with other stuff. In Huddersfield the labs are really nice and modern and the dispensary is the best ive seen out of all the unis I saw, it was only built this year but it can hold about 40 people, each person has their own PC with a label machine and you dispense an item and get it checked along with an analysis of it during practicals. I cant judge the lecturing for pharmacy in LJMU but my sister went there to do history and she got almost no support and the lecturers didnt seem to care.

Dude i hoesntly cant thank you enough!
Also 1 more question if you dont mind;

How confident do you have to be? (as i am pretty shy :frown: ) like is there lots of group work/ presentations etc?

Like i said i cant thank you enough! Is there anyway i could give you rep or something?
Reply 5
Group work, there isnt a huge amount. I know in later years you have to do a lot of mock consultations, there is also a project in year 3 you have to present. I wouldnt worry too much about it though, they teach you a lot of things to improve your communication skills.

Click the thumbs up :wink:
Original post by Andy_J
Group work, there isnt a huge amount. I know in later years you have to do a lot of mock consultations, there is also a project in year 3 you have to present. I wouldnt worry too much about it though, they teach you a lot of things to improve your communication skills.

Done that to all your comments! c:
Thanks so much for your help, if there is more people like you in huddersfield i can see it being an amazing place to study!
Original post by Andy_J

Hey:smile: being an mpharm student at hudds, what would you say are any bad things about the pharmacy course there? trying to decide between hudds and Manchester and keep changing my mind every 2 minutes haha:\
Hey I'm just finishing my third year at Hudders and so far I've loved every minute! In response to your earlier question about being confident, you will need to be able to speak to groups of people and presentations are part of the coursework each year. In my experience you will have to give at least two group presentations to your year group (roughly 60-90 people depending on size) each year and marks are given to the person, not the group, so you can't just help with the slides, you have to do some speaking too.

Communication is a massive part of being a pharmacist and role-play activities are common. This could include counselling a lecturer on the use of a medicine, pretending a class mate is a patient and advising them on how to treat a minor ailment or even being videoed and critiquing your communication skills. There is a lot of help each year to polish your communication but you do need to be confident enough to speak to people, pharmacy is that kind of job!

Even if you are a bit shy I wouldn't be put off the course, but I imagine similar experiences at other uni's too as I believe that it is a course requirement to counsel a patient as part of 4th year exams. Most people are nervous before a presentation, especially if it's been a while since one was done but take the opportunity to enjoy it and you might surprise yourself.
Original post by pharmasaurusRx
Hey I'm just finishing my third year at Hudders and so far I've loved every minute! In response to your earlier question about being confident, you will need to be able to speak to groups of people and presentations are part of the coursework each year. In my experience you will have to give at least two group presentations to your year group (roughly 60-90 people depending on size) each year and marks are given to the person, not the group, so you can't just help with the slides, you have to do some speaking too.

Communication is a massive part of being a pharmacist and role-play activities are common. This could include counselling a lecturer on the use of a medicine, pretending a class mate is a patient and advising them on how to treat a minor ailment or even being videoed and critiquing your communication skills. There is a lot of help each year to polish your communication but you do need to be confident enough to speak to people, pharmacy is that kind of job!

Even if you are a bit shy I wouldn't be put off the course, but I imagine similar experiences at other uni's too as I believe that it is a course requirement to counsel a patient as part of 4th year exams. Most people are nervous before a presentation, especially if it's been a while since one was done but take the opportunity to enjoy it and you might surprise yourself.

Thank you very much, if i know my group i should be fine tbh.

I gave you good rep, thanks for the amazing answser

Since your in the 3rd year, Do you know how placements work?
Original post by pharmasaurusRx

do marks from all years contribute to the overall degree mark at Hudds or is it just from 2nd, 3rd and 4th year like most other universities?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending