The Student Room Group

Tattoos in employment

Do you believe that organisations who put constraints on tattoos in the workplace are unfairly discriminating against the tattooed population due to them trying manipulate the employees image?

In your past experience with employment have you ever considered yourself to have been discriminated against for having tattoos?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, I work for an incredibly corporate company and I have a large number of tattoos.

None of these are visible however when I'm wearing normal work attire. I understand that If I'm being charged out at a grand a day to a client they don't want to see someone covered in tattoos because, rightly or wrongly, that's not the expectation they have.

Life isn't fair, and you can't just run around doing what you want without consequences. If money wasn't an option I'd get my neck tattooed straight away, but I appreciate that I cannot do that without the repurcussions that come with it, so I don't.
Reply 2
No it's not unfair discrimination, it's called I'll employ who I damn well like.

You don't have an image. Whilst you are at work you will conform to the company's image. And a silly tribal tattoo hardly conforms to what one would call professionalism. Just like an employer can command you to wear a suit and tie, they can command you to stop looking like an old school desk.

A considerable part of the population still doesn't accept tattoos, so why would a company want to risk losing business on the chance they encounter someone who doesn't respond well to them?
Reply 3
I have tattoos on my arms ,but they could easily be covered by a long sleeved shirt.im am at 6th form/college.Do you think in your experience that would be a massive problem?
Reply 4
I'd love to get a sleeve but I'm holding off for a couple of years just with future jobs in mind
Reply 5
its the same as how you dress for an interview, if you dress in a tracksuit, you're not going to get it.

exceptions being things like graphics designers and game artists can hae tatoos
Reply 6
I've worked for a few companies who don't allow visible tattoos. So I would imagine that they will be fine providing they can be covered up.
Reply 7
I think it is fair that employers should have the right to deny someone employment id they have visible tattoos - especially if it's a job that involves dealing with customers on the daily basis.
Reply 8
no its not discrimination. Tattoos are a choice and a decision you make unlike say gender or race. asking for no visible tattoos is no different from asking for a suit to be worn to look professional.

Yes I have a tattoo, yes I work, no I have never felt discriminated against by the need to cover it.
Reply 9
Original post by LouisN
I have tattoos on my arms ,but they could easily be covered by a long sleeved shirt.im am at 6th form/college.Do you think in your experience that would be a massive problem?

only if you work somewhere that requires them to be covered and its a horribly hot day and you can't where short sleeves or roll them up
If I pay someone, I expect them to do what I say :colone: #logic
Reply 11
Original post by boba
only if you work somewhere that requires them to be covered and its a horribly hot day and you can't where short sleeves or roll them up
I don't have a problem with them being covered, just wanted to know if it will affect my chances at a job. Also on that do you have to inform them of any tattoos you have? I'm sure there will be air-conditioning in most workplaces by the time I'm working
Reply 12
Original post by LouisN
I don't have a problem with them being covered, just wanted to know if it will affect my chances at a job. Also on that do you have to inform them of any tattoos you have? I'm sure there will be air-conditioning in most workplaces by the time I'm working

no you don't have to inform them haha, assuming you wear a suit or a long sleeved shirt to the interview there is no reason for them to even know.

many people I work with don't even know I have a tattoo and thats just a part time job, loads of people at uni don't either.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by HolleeJane
Do you believe that organisations who put constraints on tattoos in the workplace are unfairly discriminating against the tattooed population due to them trying manipulate the employees image?

No. It's their business, and if they want to project a professional image and they see that employees with visible tattoos detract from that, they are certainly entitled to that opinion, in the same way you are entitled to feel about your tattoos as you choose.

Thsoe who get visible tattoos (by visible, I mean those not covered by normal work clothing) take the risk that they will put themselves out of a lot of opportunities.

Reply 14
Original post by boba
no you don't have to inform them haha, assuming you wear a suit or a long sleeved shirt to the interview there is no reason for them to even know.

many people I work with don't even know I have a tattoo and thats just a part time job, loads of people at uni don't either.
ok that's good

, I always wore long sleeved shirts at school and to interviews. may I ask where your tattoo is ?
Reply 15
Original post by LouisN
ok that's good

, I always wore long sleeved shirts at school and to interviews. may I ask where your tattoo is ?

its on my back, it goes from the traditional "tramp stamp" area to my neck. Its fairly easy to cover with just a normal top but if I tie my hair up the very top which is on my neck can be visible. so if it needs to be covered I tend to leave my hair down or wear one of those fashion scarves or something.
Reply 16
I completely disagree with the tattoo location image. I have a large tattoo from my elbow to my wrist and it doesnt constrain me from employment. Likewise my partner has two facial tattoos, hands, neck, ears, arms etc and he DOES has a job which pay taxes and it is a very reputable organisation so that just shows that tattoos can be accepted
Reply 17
Original post by HolleeJane

In your past experience with employment have you ever considered yourself to have been discriminated against for having tattoos?

Organisations may want to up hold a certain image but this should not affect a person with a tattoo, especially if it can be covered up for any important meetings, deals etc when they want the image of the business to be seen.
These days tattoos are becoming more socially acceptable and the most unexpected people will have some sort of tattoo. therefore unless asked employees will not know if a candidate will have any tattoos, unless they are in noticeable places such as the neck, face or hands. though these people should not be discriminated against as a tattoo does not influence the way in which they work or the knowledge they have to complete a task at hand
Reply 18
So true it does not affect the working ability of those with tattoos.
I don't think it's unfair for employers to not want to employ someone based on tattoos but I do think it depends on what and where the tattoos are though.

Quick Reply

Latest