The Student Room Group

AQA Geography Unit 1 May 14th 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blueray2
Have you not got your 15 mark answers, it will help us to build upon it and to see what it should look like :frown:

15 markers from where?? I didn't do any practices before the real exam! Sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Natalie21
15 markers from where?? I didn't do any practices before the real exam! Sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile

:lol: the past paper questions? You didn't do any? wasn't timing an issue? :gah:
:lol: the past paper questions? You didn't do any? wasn't timing an issue? :gah:

I looked through a few past papers but never answered them. And if I did I don't have them anymore :P. No it was fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I looked through a few past papers but never answered them. And if I did I don't have them anymore :P. No it was fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:rofl: so your teacher never gave you past paper questions to answer or he/she never marked them? :gah:
:rofl: so your teacher never gave you past paper questions to answer or he/she never marked them? :gah:

No we never handed in past paper questions. We did topic tests in class!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh yeah we did that at gcse as well, don't know why they stopped it now :frown: Have you still got those? Or one on coasts or health? :smile:
Hey I took this exam last year (coasts, rivers, health and population) and got an A (full UMS). Feel free to ask me any questions about the exam, revision, the topics I did :smile:. Best of luck to you all :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, I am doing the same topics as you did. I have noticed that there are more case studies in my textbook than the spec says is needed, would you mind telling me what case studies you were taught last year? I don't need specifics but just for example: one for an ageing population, one for a youthful etc. It would really help me, thank you :smile:
Burgess model is just a fancy name for this :tongue:

set_004.gif

Oh haha, thanks. But I don't know what the characteristics of each location are! :/ (social, economic and environmental)
Original post by TheStudent1289
Oh haha, thanks. But I don't know what the characteristics of each location are! :/ (social, economic and environmental)

Haha yes you do, further out tends to be richer and better environment :smile:
Reply 109
Hey I took this exam last year (coasts, rivers, health and population) and got an A (full UMS). Feel free to ask me any questions about the exam, revision, the topics I did :smile:. Best of luck to you all :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can I ask you whether you did about an optimistic and pessimistic approach to population about Boserup and Malthus and about over population, under population and optimum population- it's just we've done about half a booklet on it and I've never found where its applicable in the exam paper, I was wondering if it was just extra information or I'm just not sure what sort of question you'd be asked about it, thanks :smile:
Reply 110
I'm doing Rivers, cold environments, population and health!

I find geography revision so tedious.. But I'm plodding along😪
Which case studies are all of you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 111
Original post by NaomiASuts
Can I ask you whether you did about an optimistic and pessimistic approach to population about Boserup and Malthus and about over population, under population and optimum population- it's just we've done about half a booklet on it and I've never found where its applicable in the exam paper, I was wondering if it was just extra information or I'm just not sure what sort of question you'd be asked about it, thanks :smile:

I was wondering the same... Does it it mention Malthus/Boserup etc in the specification? As its not in CGP revision guide so it may be just extra info

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 112
Original post by homefind
I was wondering the same... Does it it mention Malthus/Boserup etc in the specification? As its not in CGP revision guide so it may be just extra info

Posted from TSR Mobile

Excatly, it's not in the specification but we've done like a whole lesson on it...
Reply 113
Excatly, it's not in the specification but we've done like a whole lesson on it...

same here, must be useful for 15 markers :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly, it's not in the specification but we've done like a whole lesson on it...

Yeah I don't know why, the only thing vaugely like that is
what are the disadvantages and advantages of different measures
like infant mortality rate.....

can anyone answer that and for the other measures like that? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by NewCeremony
Hi, I am doing the same topics as you did. I have noticed that there are more case studies in my textbook than the spec says is needed, would you mind telling me what case studies you were taught last year? I don't need specifics but just for example: one for an ageing population, one for a youthful etc. It would really help me, thank you :smile:

Original post by TheStudent1289

Original post by ItsImran
I'm doing Rivers, cold environments, population and health!

I find geography revision so tedious.. But I'm plodding along
Which case studies are all of you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is the difference between the long profile and the cross profile of a river?
What is the difference between the long profile and the cross profile of a river?

Long profile is the profile from source to mouth.

Cross profile is like if you went to one part of the river and cut a slice and you looked at the banks and the curvature of the river etc.
Reply 117

Long profile shows how the gradient/height above sea level changes over the course of the river

Cross profile shows the characteristics of the valley/river channel over the rivers course (for example, upper course = narrow v shaped valley etc....

I think that's right :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Long profile is the profile from source to mouth.

Cross profile is like if you went to one part of the river and cut a slice and you looked at the banks and the curvature of the river etc.

Is the bellow correct? :smile: Ok because their is a question saying explain why a river valley changes in its cross profile downstream..... I was thinking more about the long profile and that the gradient is lower etc less potential energy so deposition etc ????

Long profile shows how the gradient/height above sea level changes over the course of the river

Cross profile shows the characteristics of the valley/river channel over the rivers course (for example, upper course = narrow v shaped valley etc....

I think that's right :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

see above :smile:
Reply 119
Is the bellow correct? :smile: Ok because their is a question saying explain why a river valley changes in its cross profile downstream..... I was thinking more about the long profile and that the gradient is lower etc less potential energy so deposition etc ????

see above :smile:

Well I would talk about all of that but then link it back to the cross profile, for example, in the upper course of river, higher level above sea level, therefore more gravitational potential energy, so rates of vertical erosion are higher than lateral rates, therefore channel will be narrow etc... As you go to the middle course, river effected less by gravity so there is less GPE and so lateral rates of erosion are more dominant than vertical, therefore channel is wider etc...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending