The Student Room Group

For gcse biology do you have to learn b3

Basically whats in the title, I have nailed B1 AND B2 but the stuff in the B3 section I have never done, Im doing higher by the way
Reply 1
Original post by JackTaylorHughes
Basically whats in the title, I have nailed B1 AND B2 but the stuff in the B3 section I have never done, Im doing higher by the way

Yes, it makes up a third of the GCSE. If you don't learn it then you will get a poor grade.
Reply 2
Original post by Data
Yes, it makes up a third of the GCSE. If you don't learn it then you will get a poor grade.

It's a quarter if you're with AQA. But, yeah you have to learn it depending on what you mean by 'nailed' B1 and B2.
Reply 3
Original post by Beat
It's a quarter if you're with AQA. But, yeah you have to learn it depending on what you mean by 'nailed' B1 and B2.

I meant that it is a third of the content of the GCSE, though I accept it is a quarter of the marks.
Reply 4
I was in the same boat 2 years ago, when doing my GCSEs. Did all the extension modules in the end.

It depends - if you're only going to do first two modules of each science then you only get two GCSE's overall, cashed in as Core and Additional science.

If you're doing B3 alone beyond that, it's meaningless - you may as well do C3 and P3 for 3 full GCSE's, cashed in as Bio, Chem and Physics rather than Core and Additional science.
Normally (this is how my school does it anyway), B1 is sat in the Summer of Year 10, B2 in January of Year 11, and B3 in the Summer of Year 11. So if you're in Year 10 right now, you should be learning Unit 1 for May/June 2013, Unit 2 for January 2014, and Unit 3 for May/June 2014.

I think the way that GCSE Biology is set out (AQA does this at least) is like this:

B1 - 25%
B2 - 25%
B3 - 25%
ISA - 25%

So yeah, you should already know what exams you're doing in the Summer (at least I hope so!), but you probably shouldn't revise all three modules right now, otherwise you may get confused between the three in the exam, and you'll probably end up forgetting it as you may be revising a year early for B3.
Reply 6
Original post by Bonoahx
Normally (this is how my school does it anyway), B1 is sat in the Summer of Year 10, B2 in January of Year 11, and B3 in the Summer of Year 11. So if you're in Year 10 right now, you should be learning Unit 1 for May/June 2013, Unit 2 for January 2014, and Unit 3 for May/June 2014.

The rules are changing after this summer. In future, all units have to be taken in one exam season.
Original post by Data
The rules are changing after this summer. In future, all units have to be taken in one exam season.

Oh OK, sounds fun :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending