The Student Room Group

How easy is clearing?

Hello Student Roomers, just wondering if anyone could give some information as to how easy it is to get on to your chosen course through clearing? Is there a lot of availability?

Also, has anyone had experience of, or just happened to notice if there is a lot of foundation courses listed??
Original post by YaDunKno
Hello Student Roomers, just wondering if anyone could give some information as to how easy it is to get on to your chosen course through clearing? Is there a lot of availability?

Also, has anyone had experience of, or just happened to notice if there is a lot of foundation courses listed??

It depends what your chosen course it tbh. There will usually be a lot of places in the lower universities through clearing, though not so much the top, unless it's a bit of an odd course, or combined.

There will be SOME foundation courses in clearing, but those who miss their offer can be offered foundation courses instead of their chosen course, as well as people deciding to go uni after getting their grades, so they tend to fill up pretty quickly.
Reply 2
Original post by Knalchemist
It depends what your chosen course it tbh. There will usually be a lot of places in the lower universities through clearing, though not so much the top, unless it's a bit of an odd course, or combined.

There will be SOME foundation courses in clearing, but those who miss their offer can be offered foundation courses instead of their chosen course, as well as people deciding to go uni after getting their grades, so they tend to fill up pretty quickly.

Thanks for your help, so is there any way of estimating my chances of getting on a foundation business course, I have 2 As's at C and a full A - level at D (I never completed my A2's) so I'm pretty sure I meet the entry requirements.
Reply 3

Have a look at Ucas Extra, although it won't be completely accurate for avaiability in clearing it should give you a pretty good idea of what courses are left. Or apply now through it? Im sure you still can.
Reply 4
Thanks for your help, so is there any way of estimating my chances of getting on a foundation business course, I have 2 As's at C and a full A - level at D (I never completed my A2's) so I'm pretty sure I meet the entry requirements.

Did you apply for Foundation Courses initially

What was their response

If they all rejected you, have you tried Extra

It is a bit early to be thinking clearing just yet ... especially since you do not appear to be awaiting any results
I got really lucky with clearing, I must have been one of the first people to get through and was offered a place instantly. I was in a similar position, remember that you need to have a UCAS number ready and be ringing the phones from the moment it opens. If you already have your results you'll probably find it quite smooth because you can ring up whilst other people are still finding out their marks.

Make sure you look up on some advice about how to appeal to admissions. Say you've looked at the course, you like the university, you want to go there, you're not just 'desperate' for a place but you've chosen that establishment and planned it all out. Be super organised, have everything you possibly could be asked to provide around you and have a written out script ready to tell them about you.

Don't call them back, make sure you have the name of the person who gives you an offer and ask that it's confirmed before hanging up.

If you're prepared for it you'll do well with it, just remember that it's just an all out free for all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending