The Student Room Group

What program(s) are you currently working on?

To all of you programmers out there,

What is your current programming project or set of projects?
What language(s) are you writing it/them with?
How's it coming along?
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm working on an open source 2D (MMO)RPG engine in Java, and a CMS in PHP. I also have a couple of Android apps released / in the works.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I'm currently working on my A2 computing project which I've named, AniKitty. It implements the AniDB.net API to search, favourite and get information on approx 7,500 anime titles (as many stored by AniDB) over the internet and from a local database. Writing it in C#. It's basically finished now. Going to upload it to Github once it's been marked by the examiners, and work on it some more in my free time.
I'm working on a simple video management system that allows me to store the location of videos (along with tags and other information about them) on my HDD's and on the net. It can get rather tedious when having to look for a video that I can't find or can't remember the name of.
Reply 4
Writing a solar system simulation in Java. Code part of it works (takes literally hours, if not days, to run at high accuracy and even then I cannot plot that many million data points!) but I'm currently working on the report for it. I'm thinking of using it to predict solar eclipses for Earth later.
Reply 5
A lexer-parser in C++. Currently trying to figure out how I might manage Unicode source files.

Switched project: Now working on a more advanced C++11 multithreaded logging system. Already much more convenient than some of the more popular libraries.

e.g:

diary::format = '[' + diary::time("%X") + ' ' + diary::stream + "] " + diary::message;
diary["INFO"] << "Hello, World! The date is: " << diary::time("%x") << '.' << std::endl;
// [23:05:10 INFO] Hello, World! The date is: 21/04/13.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
It's pretty cool. I've attached a graphical output for a 165 year simulation. The inner planets are fairly inaccurate as it makes the simulation run faster, though that still took several minutes to run.

I've spent the last four hours writing UML class diagrams in LaTeX, descriptions of each method and defining how they can be tested. Hopefully after 10am tomorrow morning when the report for this is due in I'll never have to write a UML diagram again. :biggrin:
Just finished an application that provides an approach to translate Presentation MathML to Content MathML. Translating the other way is easy, but this direction is generally unsolvable. I've achieved proof of concept and will be co-authoring a paper describing my algorithms.

I wrote it in C#.
Reply 8
I am currently have to working on 3 uni assignments which are creating a secure web application in C#, writing a online multiplayer battleships game and creating a compiler to compile a really simple language into C then call the GCC compiler to compile the program.

Does anyone have any good ideas for a final year project for Uni? I have been searching for ideas so I can decide on what I would like to do.
Reply 9
I'm currently working on a CMS with small businesses wanting to document projects in mind for my A2 computing coursework. In my free time (or what little I have at the moment) I am just doing little java problem solving programs to counter what i like to call "The PHP effect" where your skills as a programmer degrade and you pick up lazy habits because of how php is.

I'm also reasearching into information foraging theory with the hope of creating an android app that separates the first x pages of google results into "patches" based on how useful and relevant the information is, the length of the page and it's information density.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Manitude
Writing a solar system simulation in Java. Code part of it works (takes literally hours, if not days, to run at high accuracy and even then I cannot plot that many million data points!) but I'm currently 0working on the report for it. I'm thinking of using it to predict solar eclipses for Earth later.

For extending it, you might want to look at GP-GPUs, graphic cards are beasts at number crunching. You can get 5x-500x times speed up compared to cpu depending on the algorithm you use.

Just finished my dissertation, which was on genetic algorithms to evolve neural network weights run on gpus.
Reply 11
Original post by dkdeath
For extending it, you might want to look at GP-GPUs, graphic cards are beasts at number crunching. You can get 5x-500x times speed up compared to cpu depending on the algorithm you use.

Just finished my dissertation, which was on genetic algorithms to evolve neural network weights run on gpus.

This.

Was speaking to some of the guy's that had done Parallel Programming and they were saying that when you properly optimize the code for a gpu the benefits were insane.

Though I can imagine it's horrible on that sort of scale. I hate threads as it is let alone needing thousands of them lol!!
Reply 12
Original post by dkdeath

I would be interested to learn stuff like that. My knowledge is mostly revolving around solving mathematics problems, purely focussing on getting an answer, rather than doing tricks which make things more efficient. Anything which helps with that would of course be useful. Quite when I'll have the time to learn whole new areas I don't know!

On a somewhat related note, yesterday I wrote a program which calculates which four numbers are required such that a linear combination of any three (up to a coefficient of three) can be used to produce the numbers 1 through 24. The problem was worded in this way though:

"To send a package you can only have up to three stamps. The cost of sending a package can vary between £1 and £24 in whole numbers of pounds. What four types of stamp should be issued so that all required values can be put on the package using up to three stamps?"

Might be an interesting challenge for anyone on this thread. I tried it for about an hour with pen and paper before deciding to make my computer 'brute force' it :p:
Reply 13
One of the apps I've just started is based around revising, and trying to make it a less painful and tedious process - I'm trying to focus on passive learning I guess!

Do people here program solely for coursework/assessment/exam purposes, or also in their spare time/as a 'labour of love'?
Original post by BnMcG
One of the apps I've just started is based around revising, and trying to make it a less painful and tedious process - I'm trying to focus on passive learning I guess!

Do people here program solely for coursework/assessment/exam purposes, or also in their spare time/as a 'labour of love'?

I do it all the time regardless of school, I nly started compsci wth college last year, but I've been program ing since I was 12.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Big_C.
Was speaking to some of the guy's that had done Parallel Programming and they were saying that when you properly optimize the code for a gpu the benefits were insane.

This depends entirely on the problem - if large portions of your problem are inherently serial then attempting to parallelise will, at best, be a waste of time and, at worst, be a huge performance hit.
Reply 16
Currently my main project is a Minecraft server plugin. It turns the whole server into a player vurses player game. Currently I have finished my ranking system, 3 of the 8 planned gamemodes and the main core of the plugin. I have been working on this project on and off for about 4 months.

I also code scripts for runescape bot clients but I'm not working on one right now.

I code in Java.
I'm writing a super fast PHP forum (yes, another one) but it's going to have a load of features by default, while remaining simple (code wise) so other people can use it as a base to improve upon

Just need to finish the ACP now, and will then create an AJAX version with a shoutbox, etc..

Still can't figure out how the hell to implement a plugin system though

Original post by Manitude
Writing a solar system simulation in Java. Code part of it works (takes literally hours, if not days, to run at high accuracy and even then I cannot plot that many million data points!) but I'm currently working on the report for it. I'm thinking of using it to predict solar eclipses for Earth later.

I feel stupid now :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
I'm writing a super fast PHP forum (yes, another one) but it's going to have a load of features by default, while remaining simple (code wise) so other people can use it as a base to improve upon

Just need to finish the ACP now, and will then create an AJAX version with a shoutbox, etc..

Still can't figure out how the hell to implement a plugin system though

I feel stupid now :frown:

To be fair, I'd only spent 15 weeks learning Java to get up to that stage. Compared to some of the people in my class who have done freelance work and earned hundreds/thousands over the years what I was doing was trivial.
A fast and comprehensive website designing tool (it will all be deprecated by the time it's finished, it's mainly just a way for me to get myself to learn HTML and CSS in a way that i'll actually enjoy), a string crypter and decrypter, and a calculator that just does fast cumulative matrix operations. I should just use Matlab for the latter but it costs a ton and has lots of features that I don't need.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending