The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just stalked your page and you picked the same highers as me! You should enjoy them as they are all (apart from English) great subjects :tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by nerd434
Here's an alternative... "The S4 Thread".

Haha I know but then it wouldn't make sense after four months time :tongue: I was going to put 2015 leavers, regret shoving in the "s6"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by CSM1996
Just stalked your page and you picked the same highers as me! You should enjoy them as they are all (apart from English) great subjects :tongue:

Oh yeah just had a look too :tongue: I take it your in 5th year the now? I really enjoy these subjects at SG so I hope they'll be just as good if not better at higher and I agree on the English part - not my speciality - but apparently I'm actually quite good at it which I don't know how Ahah! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
you seem keen to leave school.
Reply 5
Original post by GreigM
you seem keen to leave school.

Haha not particularly I actually enjoy (most of) it :smile: it is basically a "s4 thread" but just so it doesn't really go out of date if you know what I mean? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Interesting idea for a thread, should be good. I see you took English, rather you than me! :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by CanineVet
Oh yeah just had a look too :tongue: I take it your in 5th year the now? I really enjoy these subjects at SG so I hope they'll be just as good if not better at higher and I agree on the English part - not my speciality - but apparently I'm actually quite good at it which I don't know how Ahah! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I'm in 5th year. Although I didn't do SG's, i done intermediates, but apparently most of the subjects are a carry on apart from English which I heard was quite different from SG.
Reply 8
Original post by SpanishInquisition
Interesting idea for a thread, should be good. I see you took English, rather you than me! :tongue:

Haha I feel like I'm quaking in my boots with the oncoming fear of doing it. I see you have picked 3 sciences :smile: I would have loved to do that but unfortunately my school doesn't let anyone do it despite the begging pleas from me that "Physics is far more useful than Admin" however I don't think it got though to them so I am waiting till next year to crash it (higher) in sixth. You want to be a doctor, am I right? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by CSM1996
Yes I'm in 5th year. Although I didn't do SG's, i done intermediates, but apparently most of the subjects are a carry on apart from English which I heard was quite different from SG.

Yeah my English teacher keeps re-iterating that to us and that there is a scarily substantial leap from SG to Higher. People I know from other schools have told me that Intermediates integrate better into the higher course unlike SG which is like taking a completely different subject let alone level :tongue: Good luck with your highers what do you hope to do after school? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha I feel like I'm quaking in my boots with the oncoming fear of doing it. I see you have picked 3 sciences :smile: I would have loved to do that but unfortunately my school doesn't let anyone do it despite the begging pleas from me that "Physics is far more useful than Admin" however I don't think it got though to them so I am waiting till next year to crash it (higher) in sixth. You want to be a doctor, am I right? :smile:

It can't be that bad, at least I hope not, I'm taking it in 6th :K: . I would happily drop physics but with the medicine entry requirements it's either physics or maths, and I despise maths. My pupil support teacher seems to think I need three sciences English and maths, not a chance in hell of me taking that! A few of my friends want to do vet med, are you involved in the REACH program by any chance? :smile:
Reply 11
Yeah my English teacher keeps re-iterating that to us and that there is a scarily substantial leap from SG to Higher. People I know from other schools have told me that Intermediates integrate better into the higher course unlike SG which is like taking a completely different subject let alone level :tongue: Good luck with your highers what do you hope to do after school? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is even quite a big jump from intermediate, although you do the same stuff in the exam (2 critical essay and close reading) whereas in SG i heard you do like a creative piece of something?

Thank you, er I want to go to uni to study a biology based subject, but I am still unaware of which course I wish to pick. I think anatomy looks really interesting, I think I'd want to study something to do with the body or something like that but idk. Depends on what I get this I guess :smile: you?
Reply 12
It can't be that bad, at least I hope not, I'm taking it in 6th :K: . I would happily drop physics but with the medicine entry requirements it's either physics or maths, and I despise maths. My pupil support teacher seems to think I need three sciences English and maths, not a chance in hell of me taking that! A few of my friends want to do vet med, are you involved in the REACH program by any chance? :smile:

I absolutely hope it's not aha! But tbh I don't despise English although I don't love it, I suppose if I try hard it will be thrown out of the way :smile: And I like Maths! Science comes first but maths is a close second :tongue: I find it pretty easy and understandable :smile: by the end if sixth year I hope to have the three science highers, english higher, maths higher and geography higher as well as Chemistry, Biology and probably Maths at Adv Higher and maybe the Scottish baccalaureate but I have heard it is quite a challenge...

I don't have any close friends that want to be a vet but I have heard of one other person in my year being interested, that I don't really speak to and I have never heard of him doing any work for it so I don't really know if he definitely wants to or not. I have several friends who want to do medicine (like 75% of my year who want to stay till s6 want to be a doctor aha).

And no to the REACH thing. My english teacher proposed it to a student in my class who wants to do Law who then pointed out it applies to Vet Med, Med and Dent so she took a list of everyone in our class that wanted to do one of the four as a career (almost half my class :tongue:) and put us forth but they replied saying that our average for getting into uni etc was higher than the national average so we didn't :frown: I was looking forward to it as well! The vetty things I could have done looked excellent. Plus (not to offend anyone) gives an unfair advantage to those who do it as it gives them a lower grade target and helps with university applications which most schools seem to be very quiet about... So no unfortunately :frown: What about you? :smile:

Original post by CSM1996
It is even quite a big jump from intermediate, although you do the same stuff in the exam (2 critical essay and close reading) whereas in SG i heard you do like a creative piece of something?

Thank you, er I want to go to uni to study a biology based subject, but I am still unaware of which course I wish to pick. I think anatomy looks really interesting, I think I'd want to study something to do with the body or something like that but idk. Depends on what I get this I guess :smile: you?

It sure must be quite a jump! And in the SG exam you are given a question book of twenty odd questions which you choose one and write about so it can be anything from a personal, to a creative, to a discursive but never a critical. We also have to sit two close reading papers either F/G or G/C.

That sounds interesting :smile: I love doing things focused on anatomy in biology! My strong points :biggrin: And Veterinary Medicine without a doubt! I have loads of work experience booked up and done - actually continuing my lambing placement tomorrow :smile: It is probably my interest in anatomy that has stirred this too and my unconditional love for animals :smile: Is it humans you would like to work with then I take it or animals? Is anthropology something that has interested you? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
It sure must be quite a jump! And in the SG exam you are given a question book of twenty odd questions which you choose one and write about so it can be anything from a personal, to a creative, to a discursive but never a critical. We also have to sit two close reading papers either F/G or G/C.

That sounds interesting :smile: I love doing things focused on anatomy in biology! My strong points :biggrin: And Veterinary Medicine without a doubt! I have loads of work experience booked up and done - actually continuing my lambing placement tomorrow :smile: It is probably my interest in anatomy that has stirred this too and my unconditional love for animals :smile: Is it humans you would like to work with then I take it or animals? Is anthropology something that has interested you? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I would hate that, it took me ages to perfect my folio pieces, for my first draft it took me about 3/4 hours to write each of them. I couldn't imagine doing it timed haha.

Oh, I would love to be a vet but I reckon I would be scared in case all the animals hated me and bit me. I also have a strong hatred towards cats, so if someone brought one in I would just be like get it out! I'm thinking of maybe trying to get work experience somewhere over the Summer, but little places offer it so I'll just have to try.

Eh, I'd probably want to go into research or something. Idk, I would just love to work in a labb environment :tongue:
Reply 14
Original post by CSM1996
Oh I would hate that, it took me ages to perfect my folio pieces, for my first draft it took me about 3/4 hours to write each of them. I couldn't imagine doing it timed haha.

Oh, I would love to be a vet but I reckon I would be scared in case all the animals hated me and bit me. I also have a strong hatred towards cats, so if someone brought one in I would just be like get it out! I'm thinking of maybe trying to get work experience somewhere over the Summer, but little places offer it so I'll just have to try.

Eh, I'd probably want to go into research or something. Idk, I would just love to work in a labb environment :tongue:

I am dreading the higher course because it takes me decades to write an essay Ahaha! Hopefully I can speed up a bit the next few months :tongue:

I doubt they would hate you :tongue: but tbh I have had several close calls with some animals - 90% of the time it's cats Ahaha! My mum is just the same but I quite like cats, dogs I strongly prefer but when I'm older I would like a cat :smile: Perhaps you would enjoy veterinary biosciences? It is an interesting course, it deals with prevention of diseases and drugs and is heavily lab based work plus you work with a variety of animals - farm animals quite a lot I think. That is my back up choice if I don't get into vetmed although I may take a gap year I still don't know. Definitely get some experience in case, I promise you it's worth it's weight in gold (metaphorically :tongue:). Why not try the AHVLA theyre the animal health and veterinary laboratories agency, for work experience. I'm going to call them soon for some hopefully :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I absolutely hope it's not aha! But tbh I don't despise English although I don't love it, I suppose if I try hard it will be thrown out of the way :smile: And I like Maths! Science comes first but maths is a close second :tongue: I find it pretty easy and understandable :smile: by the end if sixth year I hope to have the three science highers, english higher, maths higher and geography higher as well as Chemistry, Biology and probably Maths at Adv Higher and maybe the Scottish baccalaureate but I have heard it is quite a challenge...

I don't have any close friends that want to be a vet but I have heard of one other person in my year being interested, that I don't really speak to and I have never heard of him doing any work for it so I don't really know if he definitely wants to or not. I have several friends who want to do medicine (like 75% of my year who want to stay till s6 want to be a doctor aha).

And not to the REACH thing. My english teacher proposed it to a student in my class who wants to do Law who then pointed out it applies to Vet Med, Med and Dent so she took a list of everyone in our class that wanted to do one of the four as a career (almost half my class :tongue:) and put us forth but they replied saying that our average for getting into uni etc was higher than the national average so we didn't :frown: I was looking forward to it as well! The vetty things I could have done looked excellent. Plus (not to offend anyone) gives an unfair advantage to those who do it as it gives them a lower grade target and helps with university applications which most schools seem to be very quiet about... So no unfortunately :frown: What about you? :smile:

I can do maths (A in the Int 2 prelim) but I just find it so uninteresting. Sheets and sheets of questions and formulas, nothing practical. Personal taste I guess. Our school didn't push the REACH scheme as a widening access type of thing at all, it was only when the lecturer mentioned off hand that "you guys get things like lower entry requirements" that I realized. I won't complain about lower entry requirements but you're right it seems a bit unfair. Overall though it looks like a useful thing to be part of, with the interview and PS help and all that. That's something all candidates could benefit from. Our school hasn't even mentioned the Scottish Baccalaureate but I think I'll stick with Highers in any case! I hope to do Adv Higher Chemistry, Biology and probably Information Systems, plus crash Higher English in 6th. God help us :tongue:
Having sat both, I personally feel Intermediate 2 English was far easier than Standard Grade. Also Higher English is the most soul destroying and difficult subject that I've ever done (MAYBE with the exception of AH Biology.)
Original post by nerd434
What's so different about AH Biology in comparison to Higher?

For me its kinda a mixture of the teacher, the investigation and the fact that we done environmental Biology first. The Cell Biology Unit and the Physiology one that we're doing now is actually quite interesting :smile:

But yeah. I think it's really hard, alot harder than Chemistry and Maths anyway.
Original post by CSM1996
I think I'd want to study something to do with the body or something like that but idk. Depends on what I get this I guess :smile: you?

Anatomy? Physiology? (bio)medical sciences?

That sounds interesting :smile: I love doing things focused on anatomy in biology :smile:

Oh you think the stuff in S4 Biology counts as anatomy...cute. :mmm:
Just you wait until you get to vet med, oh God, I'll pray for you.

Our school didn't push the REACH scheme as a widening access type of thing at all, it was only when the lecturer mentioned off hand that "you guys get things like lower entry requirements" that I realized. I won't complain about lower entry requirements but you're right it seems a bit unfair.

I've been through this. :colonhash:

I've heard that Glasgow uni runs the scheme on behalf of all the unis in Scotland. Did you find that being part of the scheme helped with your application to Edinburgh or any other Scottish schools you applied to?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Latest

Trending

Trending