The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It seems a shame we don't seem to be able to play some players in their natural position anymore.

Rooney and Kag being the first that come to mind.
I don't think I've seen United fans so split over something for quite a while. I used to be on the 'Rooney-out' bandwagon during his whole contract saga when he was going to leave, and a period after that. But he is under-appreciated, very under-appreciated by some of us. Would only consider selling him for silly money.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
I don't think I've seen United fans so split over something for quite a while. I used to be on the 'Rooney-out' bandwagon during his whole contract saga when he was going to leave, and a period after that. But he is under-appreciated, very under-appreciated by some of us. Would only consider selling him for silly money.

FTR, I'm not a Man U fan.
Reply 2603
Original post by SirMasterKey
It seems a shame we don't seem to be able to play some players in their natural position anymore.

Anderson is played out of position whenever he plays, he should be on the bench
Original post by NathanW18
I don't like to use statistics as to whether a player is playing well. I'm looking at the overall performances and whether they look dangerous during the game.

Abso-bloody-exactly.

Walcott this season - Played 37 Scored 18 Assists 15
Bale this season - Played 38 Scored 22 Assists 7

So Walcott has played a game less yet has been directly involved in one more goal. Has he had the better season? Is he playing better than Bale?

People watching the game through bloody Opta Index :biggrin:

Remember that stat about Nani and Ronaldo Sky kept going on about in their first 100 games? You'd think they were equals for that time period going by that yet actually judging with your eyes it's clear to see, they weren't.
(edited 11 years ago)
Some of these people are so clueless :laugh:
Reply 2606
Original post by Wilfred Little
Abso-bloody-exactly.

So Walcott has played a game less yet has been directly involved in one more goal. Has he had the better season? Is he playing better than Bale?

People watching the game through bloody Opta Index :biggrin:

Walcott at the start of the season was playing pretty well..
Original post by Tommyjw
Some of these people are so clueless :laugh:

Excellent counter argument.

Original post by Idle
Walcott at the start of the season was playing pretty well..

Answer the question, who's been better this season, Walcott or Bale?
Excellent counter argument.

Bless.

People talking about a whole range of stats and you come in with goals + assists and try to claim its the same :laugh:

If the only stats you are going to use is goals and assists then by those stats alone Walcott has had a better season in terms of goals and assists, thats simply a fact.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by SirMasterKey

True. In a way, at top clubs, there has to be occasions - such as injuries/suspensions/tactically - that players have to play in different positions for the team and to his credit, Rooney's done that without kicking up a major fuss like other players would do.

That desire to play all the time and in any positions means that at times SAF has played him out of place just because he ticks all the boxes but because he knows Rooney will do it without kicking up a fuss.

Rooney was a machine in 2004 when he took the Euros by storm but since he joined United, I'd say his CL debut against Fenerbahce was the sort of performance we expected from him on a regular basis. Where he contributes but takes control of a team victory (he scored a hat-trick here) but to accomodate the team, he's been shifted to other positions and maybe because of that, he's lost some of that driven force that used to scare teams.

I've always seen Rooney as a number 10, behind the front man but he showed in 2009/10 that he could take up the mantle of being a number 9 if necessary but atm, I don't know what his best position would be. I'd still say number 10 because RVP is ahead of him as the number 9. But he has to look at himself and admit that he's not maintained his physique and condition well enough to be rated among the higher echelon of world players. Maybe like SAF said, a genetic thing.

I'm happy to keep Rooney but I wish he has a good run of form to the end of the season in light of these Falcao rumours.

BTW, did SAF say anything about Falcao in his press conference this morning?
Original post by Aky786UK

BTW, did SAF say anything about Falcao in his press conference this morning?

Nope, no1 even asked

So Walcott has played a game less yet has been directly involved in one more goal.

Strong maths skills.
Original post by beepidybeep
Strong maths skills.

LMFAO!
Original post by cheetahs56
LMFAO!

:wink:
Original post by Tommyjw
Bless.

People talking about a whole range of stats and you come in with goals + assists and try to claim its the same :laugh:

If the only stats you are going to use is goals and assists then by those stats alone Walcott has had a better season in terms of goals and assists, thats simply a fact.

That goes both ways though. It's not hard to use a number of niche little stats to make one player look better than another. A lot of the stats you've used - just glancing through this debate - relate to passing for example. You say...

And this is all whilst Rooney is playing behind the striker, out on the wing etc.

...as if that is something that should hold him back, but I would expect Rooney, in the positions he's been playing, to have more assists, better passing accuracy, win possession more often etc. I'm sure there are plenty of stats that make RVP look a lot better.

The things you can't measure, the intangibles, that's where statistics fail. For example movement and control, two of RVP's best qualities that can't realistically be illustrated through numbers alone. There's absolutely nothing wrong with basing your opinion of just watching a player just like there's nothing wrong with supporting an argument with statistics, so long as they are not selective. Statistics alone cannot tell the whole story.
Original post by beepidybeep
Strong maths skills.

Noticed after I posted, didn't bother editing as it doesn't change the point I was making.
Original post by Tommyjw
Nope, no1 even asked

That is a shock. It's not as if it was a massive day that it could be forgotten about. Do wonder whether the press lady might have asked them not to ask anything about it but that would set off alarm bells. Weird.

But SAF adroitly created a new story with the England breaks etc.
Noticed after I posted, didn't bother editing as it doesn't change the point I was making.

Well, it makes your point stronger
Original post by EmperorMustard
I'm sure there are plenty of stats that make RVP look a lot better.

Nope. As i stated, the only forward related stat that is better is RvP scores goals slightly more often
Original post by Tommyjw
"They're forwards and their performance upfront is all I care about."

"I don't like to use statistics"

A very, very large part of a strikers forward performance is based on their goals, assists and relevant stats. You can't simply just flat out ignore that just because you 'dont like to use statistics'. Fact is they do matter, and statistics can show a massive amount

What else would you like to know about their 'forward performance'?

Rooneys wins possession in final third more often
Rooneys attacking zone/final third passing is more accurate
Rooney has more assists in less playing time
Rooney creates both chances and clear cut chances more often
Rooneys shooting accuracy, chance conversion and clear cut chance conversion are all better.

In fact the only thing RvP beats Rooney on is minutes per goal. RvP 131. Rooney 140.

And this is all whilst Rooney is playing behind the striker, out on the wing etc.

What a **** year he is having in comparison to the mighty RvP.

The striker has looked more dangerous than the person playing behind the striker? Well ****...

Good argument, I wonder how he'll respond to that.

Original post by NathanW18
This is where my participation in any kind of Rooney debates ends. I respect your opinion, but I disagree.

We'll see what the manager thinks in the summer.

Oh, he won't. Lol.

Latest