The Student Room Group

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5580
Fallon Smith:

I said to myself that my eating disorder wasn't that serious as I was eating threesmall meals a day and nothing else. When I finally got help the doctors rushed me into hospital a week before Christmas as they were worried that if my eating pattern continued then my organs would have started shutting down, with signs of damage to my body being clearly evident. What you are describing defiantly sounds likean eating disorder. Weighing 8 stone at your height would give you a BMI of 17.9, which is .4 above the BMI 17.5 which is commonly used todefine Anorexia Nervosa, alongside less than 85% of expected weight for height. Whilst BMI isn't perfect, it's a good indicator of appropriate weight for height. Whilst some people are naturally thin and have low BMIs, if you have to lose weight to be that BMI then it is clearly unhealthy for you. My BMI was around 17.9 18 when I first saw the CAMHS team and doctors, but by then the damage was done, andI was suffering severe depression, bradycardia, low blood sugar, low energy, poor circulation and other symptoms of starvation. If you suffer from extreme guilt after eating, which it seems apparent you do, then that is a classic sign of an eating disorder.

At your weight you arenot overweight at all, being around a BMI of 20 which is towards the lower end of the healthy weight range. When you ask about why you can eat chocolate everyday and still lose weight it's because if you eat fewer calories (consume less energy) than your body requires then you will lose weight. However, only so much of it will be fat before your body basically begins feeding off muscle and vital parts to preserve yourself. Your body doesn't just digest the chocolate and go 'Oh chocolate, this will get stored as fat'. However, if you were to eat below your calorie needs on junk food then you are putting yourself at risk of malnourishment through lack of macro and micronutrients. What you have just had for dinner is nothing to feel guilty about at all, it is what many people would consider a normal dinner. However, when you have an eating disorder your perception of what is normal.

Your eating habits really do seem disordered, and I really urge you to get help :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by JLW95
Fallon Smith:

I said to myself that my eating disorder wasn't that serious as I was eating threesmall meals a day and nothing else. When I finally got help the doctors rushed me into hospital a week before Christmas as they were worried that if my eating pattern continued then my organs would have started shutting down, with signs of damage to my body being clearly evident. What you are describing defiantly sounds likean eating disorder. Weighing 8 stone at your height would give you a BMI of 17.9, which is .4 above the BMI 17.5 which is commonly used todefine Anorexia Nervosa, alongside less than 85% of expected weight for height. Whilst BMI isn't perfect, it's a good indicator of appropriate weight for height. Whilst some people are naturally thin and have low BMIs, if you have to lose weight to be that BMI then it is clearly unhealthy for you. My BMI was around 17.9 18 when I first saw the CAMHS team and doctors, but by then the damage was done, andI was suffering severe depression, bradycardia, low blood sugar, low energy, poor circulation and other symptoms of starvation. If you suffer from extreme guilt after eating, which it seems apparent you do, then that is a classic sign of an eating disorder.

At your weight you arenot overweight at all, being around a BMI of 20 which is towards the lower end of the healthy weight range. When you ask about why you can eat chocolate everyday and still lose weight it's because if you eat fewer calories (consume less energy) than your body requires then you will lose weight. However, only so much of it will be fat before your body basically begins feeding off muscle and vital parts to preserve yourself. Your body doesn't just digest the chocolate and go 'Oh chocolate, this will get stored as fat'. However, if you were to eat below your calorie needs on junk food then you are putting yourself at risk of malnourishment through lack of macro and micronutrients. What you have just had for dinner is nothing to feel guilty about at all, it is what many people would consider a normal dinner. However, when you have an eating disorder your perception of what is normal.

Your eating habits really do seem disordered, and I really urge you to get help :smile:

Wow I didn't think that eating three small meals a day would do any harm, in fact I thought it would be a positive thing compared to over feeding your body and stuffing it with fat and sluggish food. I hope you have recovered now as what you went through sounds horrible, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

I still think I'm over eating as on top of my dinner today I've eaten cereal, tinned fruit, a cereal bar and 3 coffees. I can feel my heart racing panicking knowing that all that **** food is in my body and I just want to get all the crap out right now and detox.

Why can't I just be skinny I really hate looking in the mirror I feel like crying I hate myself so much.
Reply 5582
I would like you to take a deep breath and take a read through this thread; countless people in your exact same situation have made nearly word-for-word identical posts! What you're detailing is a body dysmorphic disorder and the psychological onset of a serious eating disorder.

The issue is no matter how much you lose, that dysmorphia will always be the same. 15 stone, 10 stone, 5 stone - the dysmorphia- the irrational, incorrect "Carnival Mirror" view of yourself is the problem. And that will not change no matter your weight.

This is a mental disorder and you need to treat it this way. Do not offset your mental disorder onto your (now) healthy body, punishing it when it is perfect as it is.

Please try to determine where your mental inadequacies lie, your triggers and phobias, before you kill your healthy body off as many here... Myself included... Already almost did.
Reply 5583
Original post by FallonSmith
Wow I didn't think that eating three small meals a day would do any harm, in fact I thought it would be a positive thing compared to over feeding your body and stuffing it with fat and sluggish food. I hope you have recovered now as what you went through sounds horrible, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

I still think I'm over eating as on top of my dinner today I've eaten cereal, tinned fruit, a cereal bar and 3 coffees. I can feel my heart racing panicking knowing that all that **** food is in my body and I just want to get all the crap out right now and detox.

Why can't I just be skinny I really hate looking in the mirror I feel like crying I hate myself so much.

So did I. I thought I was eating 3 small meals a day, around 7 portions of veg a day, only eating wholemeal bread, only eating fat in the form of small portions of olive oil and small portions of oily fish, and had no refined carbohydrates at all, and drank only water apart from two glasses of skimmed milk a day for my calcium (although, for the benefits of milk and to absorb calcium you do require a certain amount of fat, so skimmed milk is almost useless in that respect). I thought I had one of the healthiest diets around. In reality I was malnourished. I was eating around 800 - 900 calories a day, where as before I developed anorexia nervosa I required around 2600 just to maintain my weight. Your body requires a bit of everything to survive. You need certain carbohydrates for your brain, you need fat to absorb certain fat-soluble vitamins, and in my opinion you need certain healthy amounts of junk food just to feel good. As good for you as vegetables and unprocessed carbohydrates are for you there is no denying they can best be described as 'bland' at best. At the end of the day a well balanced diet with a little bit of everything is the best diet for your health and general mood :smile:.

Cereal, tinned fruit, a cereal bar and coffees is barely anything for a young woman. There is no protein, unrefined carbohydrates, vegetables or fat in that diet. Like I said earlier, you require all those macro nutrients in order to be healthy. Eating crap like that will unfortunately make you as crap as you are feeling now. Your diet apart from your dinner just seems to consist of refined sugar, which after a an initial quick rise will just cause a blood sugar crash, which will leave you feel lethargic, hungry and feeling like crap. Without the nutrients you cannot be healthy.

When you do suffer from an eating disorder your whole view of yourself becomes completely biased. I had bones poking out of the side of me, yet because my stomach was bloated (ironically, a side effect of starvation)I thought I was massive, and just wanted to lose more. Looking at the photo of you that areebmazhar pointed out, I can tell you that you are not fat at all! You look a healthy weight, a point backed up by your BMI. Something that I have noticed as my BMI has recently gone over 21 is that I'm less concerned with how my body is. I still fit into the same clothes as I did at my lowest, and I don't seem to have put on too much fat. At my last weigh in for the first time I asked not to know the result, a massive step forward for me. I really didn't want to know it. It comes back to Toto's recent point about the shift in perception as you recover :smile:. When you have a disorder such as you do you cannot reliably judge yourself.

Like I said I hope you get help with your disorder. Take care :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by JLW95
So did I. I thought I was eating 3 small meals a day, around 7 portions of veg a day, only eating wholemeal bread, only eating fat in the form of small portions of olive oil and small portions of oily fish, and had no refined carbohydrates at all, and drank only water apart from two glasses of skimmed milk a day for my calcium (although, for the benefits of milk and to absorb calcium you do require a certain amount of fat, so skimmed milk is almost useless in that respect). I thought I had one of the healthiest diets around. In reality I was malnourished. I was eating around 800 - 900 calories a day, where as before I developed anorexia nervosa I required around 2600 just to maintain my weight. Your body requires a bit of everything to survive. You need certain carbohydrates for your brain, you need fat to absorb certain fat-soluble vitamins, and in my opinion you need certain healthy amounts of junk food just to feel good. As good for you as vegetables and unprocessed carbohydrates are for you there is no denying they can best be described as 'bland' at best. At the end of the day a well balanced diet with a little bit of everything is the best diet for your health and general mood :smile:.

Cereal, tinned fruit, a cereal bar and coffees is barely anything for a young woman. There is no protein, unrefined carbohydrates, vegetables or fat in that diet. Like I said earlier, you require all those macro nutrients in order to be healthy. Eating crap like that will unfortunately make you as crap as you are feeling now. Your diet apart from your dinner just seems to consist of refined sugar, which after a an initial quick rise will just cause a blood sugar crash, which will leave you feel lethargic, hungry and feeling like crap. Without the nutrients you cannot be healthy.

When you do suffer from an eating disorder your whole view of yourself becomes completely biased. I had bones poking out of the side of me, yet because my stomach was bloated (ironically, a side effect of starvation)I thought I was massive, and just wanted to lose more. Looking at the photo of you that areebmazhar pointed out, I can tell you that you are not fat at all! You look a healthy weight, a point backed up by your BMI. Something that I have noticed as my BMI has recently gone over 21 is that I'm less concerned with how my body is. I still fit into the same clothes as I did at my lowest, and I don't seem to have put on too much fat. At my last weigh in for the first time I asked not to know the result, a massive step forward for me. I really didn't want to know it. It comes back to Toto's recent point about the shift in perception as you recover :smile:. When you have a disorder such as you do you cannot reliably judge yourself.

Like I said I hope you get help with your disorder. Take care :smile:

How much did you weigh whilst you were barely eating anything? Looking at your diet there I would say it's healthy in my head but in reality I know you're right in saying that it's too little and that's why you were malnourished at that point.

I don't know how many calories I'm consuming but I'm sure it's 2000 a day as I have a lot of coffee/coke in my diet to keep me stimulated during the day and to give me a buzz. I find that drinking those drinks makes me feel less hungry too so I can sometimes skip lunch and just have a caffeinated drink instead.

I dread to weigh myself on the scales and you're probably right in thinking that I do look a healthy size but to me I'm over weight. I think all this has stemmed from a couple years ago when I was eating everything and ended up weighing 12st.
Original post by TotoMimo
I would like you to take a deep breath and take a read through this thread; countless people in your exact same situation have made nearly word-for-word identical posts! What you're detailing is a body dysmorphic disorder and the psychological onset of a serious eating disorder.

The issue is no matter how much you lose, that dysmorphia will always be the same. 15 stone, 10 stone, 5 stone - the dysmorphia- the irrational, incorrect "Carnival Mirror" view of yourself is the problem. And that will not change no matter your weight.

This is a mental disorder and you need to treat it this way. Do not offset your mental disorder onto your (now) healthy body, punishing it when it is perfect as it is.

Please try to determine where your mental inadequacies lie, your triggers and phobias, before you kill your healthy body off as many here... Myself included... Already almost did.

Thank you for your concern but I don't see it as being as bad as you do. I'm probably just leading a stressed lifestyle and the only control I have is over food right now.
Thank you for your concern but I don't see it as being as bad as you do. I'm probably just leading a stressed lifestyle and the only control I have is over food right now.

Denial is a key factor in eating disorders. This is partly why they are so dangerous; I have seen people in hospital completely emaciated and throwing food across the room at mealtimes, but even they say that their illness isn't "that bad".

It's also surprising how quickly more harmful habits can form an how quickly the downhill descent progresses. Do something about it now, or you might regret it in the not so distant future.
Was doing so well up until today, 4 weeks and bam, square one. Grr. So frustrating!!
Original post by Anonymous
Was doing so well up until today, 4 weeks and bam, square one. Grr. So frustrating!!

Don't throw away your four weeks. Count it as 40 days, so step 39 now you've taken one back. Get yourself back on track x
Reply 5589
How much did you weigh whilst you were barely eating anything? Looking at your diet there I would say it's healthy in my head but in reality I know you're right in saying that it's too little and that's why you were malnourished at that point.

I don't know how many calories I'm consuming but I'm sure it's 2000 a day as I have a lot of coffee/coke in my diet to keep me stimulated during the day and to give me a buzz. I find that drinking those drinks makes me feel less hungry too so I can sometimes skip lunch and just have a caffeinated drink instead.

I dread to weigh myself on the scales and you're probably right in thinking that I do look a healthy size but to me I'm over weight. I think all this has stemmed from a couple years ago when I was eating everything and ended up weighing 12st.

At my lowest I weighed 9 stone 2, which sounds a lot for someone with an eating disorder. However, like the CAMHS team have said to me it was my rapid weight loss that was causing all the problems for me. I basically went from being an obese at 16 stone 5 lbs to being underweight for my 5 foot 11 height at 9 stone 2 with no intention of stopping in a year, and meeting the Anorexia Nervosa criteria of being less than 85% of my lowest ideal weight for my build of 11 stone. I can completely understand where you are coming from regarding your fear of becoming overweight again :smile:. Something that I have found out in recovery is how if you get help and a proper diet plan from a dietitian then you have no need to worry about becoming overweight again, they won't allow you to :smile:. It is why they recently took me off the Olanzapine they had prescribed to me. As I and Toto have said before, when you suffer from a dysmorphic disorder your entire perception of how you are becomes biased. You can attribute it to stress if you like, as many people do, but at the end of the day it is clear you are suffering from a dysmorphic disorder rather than stress.

I can tell you that you are probably overestimating your calorific intake. In 250ml of full sugar coke there is still only 105 calories, or in other words around 5.25% of your daily calorie needs. Of course, this doesn't mean that is in anyway healthy for you, but the point still stands it isn't as much as you probably think it is. One of the side effects of caffeine is decreased hunger. You're much better off getting sustained energy from a balanced and healthy diet rather than relying on sugar and caffeine rushes, which as well as delivering next to no nutrition, just leave you with an initial buzz that quickly fades away and leaves you feeling awful and tired :smile:. Skipping meals never helps long term. It just causes you to feel even more hungry later on. Also, when you are denying your body the fuel that it requires then your body begins to hold onto any calories it does get, as your body doesn't think, 'I'm on a diet, I just have to wait for a bit longer to eat', it panics and thinks it is risking starvation and conserves any energy that it does get.

Regarding my diet when I was restricting, sure it looks healthy. However, I haven't told you the portion sizes. They were quite literally tiny. When I said olive oil I meant around 54kcals worth of spread, no more. With vegetable portions it was always bare minimum to count. I had a list of foods that I would eat, and that I wouldn't (and unfortunately, still do to this day). I'm still afraid to eat fruit because of the sugar! Although the stereotype of Anorexia Nervosa is people only eating healthy food such as apples, this is often not the case. If you only eat 500 calories worth of chocolate a day as you're afraid anything else will cause you to gain weight, then that is clearly disordered.

Gnome made the great point of saying get help now before your problems escalate. At the end of the day I wouldn't want anyone else in the world, as much as I dislike them, to go through what I've been through, and find themselves with their lives in as much of a mess as mine is at the moment :frown:.

Anon 122.

There are 365 days this year. One bad day is nothing in the grand context of things :smile:. Everyone has slip-ups from time to time. Just don't let them drag you down :smile:. Today is a new day to get back on track :smile:.
4 Weeks is fantastic going, don't be so hard on yourself.

Did you notice anything that might have facilitated it though? Poor sleep on the day? Stress?
Reply 5591
Though I'm not going to go as far as saying it's downright patronising, it's definitely an insult to me when people say (or paraphrase words to the effect of) "You don't fully understand, I know my body best". Because with a mental disorder, it's actually quite the contrary. You (as in, the REAL you) knows best, but the disordered you - the one who lets the flawed logic make the decision - well, that version is telling you that 1+1 = Orange, and you believe it. You believe it to the point where you argue everyone else into the ground that it CAN'T be 2, even if you have an inkling 2 sounds like the better answer.

I talk to so, so many people on a daily basis that use the excuse that their disorders "aren't that bad" and that they "only do X disordered" so it's not a "proper" or "real" eating disorder. ANY behaviours to do with eating or food that requires you to limit, structure or otherwise plan out specific criteria - that's an eating disorder. Can you only eat pink food? Can you only eat in the morning? Can you only eat with a specific fork? All mental anxiety disorders related to food. EATING DISORDERS.

I am never exasperated by hearing the same thing again and again, but I ask you don't say I can't help because you're "not that bad". Because you were bad enough to post here, bad enough to consider it in the first place. As soon as it became overtly conscious it became an issue - and we're here to address those issues.
Hey guys :smile:
Just wondering, if you went to your GP and said you think you have an eating disorder what would be the process that you'd go through to get diagnosed and get treatment.
I'm 19 and still live at home with my parents. I don't want them to know anything about it. My mum wouldn't understand. I've had treatment for depression in the past and she would never admit that there was ever a problem and she thought I was just being, in her words, "soft", and that I should just get over it. Anyway, I don't want her to have anything to do with this and I'm just worried that she might find out about it. I know that it'd be ideal for her to know what's going on but I think it'd be best for the both of us if she didn't.
Reply 5593
Original post by waterlilyy
Hey guys :smile:
Just wondering, if you went to your GP and said you think you have an eating disorder what would be the process that you'd go through to get diagnosed and get treatment.
I'm 19 and still live at home with my parents. I don't want them to know anything about it. My mum wouldn't understand. I've had treatment for depression in the past and she would never admit that there was ever a problem and she thought I was just being, in her words, "soft", and that I should just get over it. Anyway, I don't want her to have anything to do with this and I'm just worried that she might find out about it. I know that it'd be ideal for her to know what's going on but I think it'd be best for the both of us if she didn't.

Could you not tell her? Only I went to the doctors for the first time last week and I went without telling my family and soon realised it would be pretty much impossible for them not to know because I have weekly appointments with my doctor now and I've been referred to a specialist which involves more appointments. Its pretty hard to keep secret. But it could be good. I vowed my grandparents would never find out. And it was the hardest thing telling them, and although I don't know what they are thinking and I can't really talk about it with them still, it made me feel better because not having to lie and device everyday took a massive weight of my shoulders. Truth is, we are suffering and we don't need any more pressure. Telling your family could be good :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5594
I have had a good few personal mails as of late that have asked how I "healed" or "got better" from the eating disorder. So I want to post this here for you guys to peruse.

I am not "well". But I am "better". The truth is, I simply found out what my crux, my absolute origin of defect, the source of the problem was, and then I tried to make it work to my advantage. So the disorder is still there, but I am just bouncing the mirror-like focus in a direction that is less harmful. If the disorder itself was the mirror, I have merely tilted it.

I am now enduring the "risk-reward" phase of recovery. At 116lbs I am not really a heavy man, but every day I face an incredibly goring, harsh and unending unhappiness that the weight must gain for me to be healthy and right. You must psychologically accept this. It might not be what you want, but it is RIGHT.

The truth is, every intake, I mentally count. You cannot unlearn this. Only, you can learn to cope with it. Banana, 115 calories. Piece of toast, 110 calories. You do not stop thinking about this. But you learn to live with it. Channel it into a means that helps you. My minimum calorie intake for maintenance is 1900. Therefore I always "count" to 1900". As the day progresses I eat a sandwich, 280, I sip a cola, 1, I eat a biscuit, 85. But at least I count to a number that is not unhealthy. It's no longer 1200 unhealthy, body-killingly tiny calories.

Even whilst drunk and amidst a slur of daftness I order a pint of beer, 210 calories, and ask for a packet of crisps, 170 calories, in the knowledge I have secretly eaten less all day so I can hit the "target number".

It is still a very serious eating disorder. But at least now - it isn't killing me. Only controlling me....
This is embarrassing, but has anyone felt the side effects of anorexia through bladder weakness? I started crying this morning when I woke up and literally started wetting my bed. My job is making me exhausted and I am at a stage where it is very difficult to put food in my mouth without panicking. Since feeling much more tired, I keep waking up in situations where I'm really desperate and don't feel like I'm going to make it in time. :o:

I am 23 and a nurse, and being incontinent myself makes me so ashamed.
This is embarrassing, but has anyone felt the side effects of anorexia through bladder weakness? I started crying this morning when I woke up and literally started wetting my bed. My job is making me exhausted and I am at a stage where it is very difficult to put food in my mouth without panicking. Since feeling much more tired, I keep waking up in situations where I'm really desperate and don't feel like I'm going to make it in time. :o:

I am 23 and a nurse, and being incontinent myself makes me so ashamed.

It's actually not too uncommon. When I was at my worst, I used to not be able to control my bladder after getting out of the bath. It was a combination of lean tissue wastage through anorexia, and the relaxation of what little muscle I had, which causes the weakness.

Now, try to pluck up the courage to speak to your GP if this continues, but for me, when I gained weight, my body started to repair itself and the problem has completely stopped. I hope this has reassured you and spurred you on to get healthy :hugs: xxx take care
It's actually not too uncommon. When I was at my worst, I used to not be able to control my bladder after getting out of the bath. It was a combination of lean tissue wastage through anorexia, and the relaxation of what little muscle I had, which causes the weakness.

Now, try to pluck up the courage to speak to your GP if this continues, but for me, when I gained weight, my body started to repair itself and the problem has completely stopped. I hope this has reassured you and spurred you on to get healthy :hugs: xxx take care

I thought it was just me with the bath thing! It's horrible, but I'm glad that it's settled for you :smile:
Original post by Gnome :)
I thought it was just me with the bath thing! It's horrible, but I'm glad that it's settled for you :smile:

Me three! I didn't know what kept happening, I thought maybe it was just bath water at first..but no more gory details, I stick to showers now!
Reply 5599
I was #171 anon by the way (the one that replied) - it keeps turning itself on =/
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest