The Student Room Group

Margaret Thatcher fans launch alternative #1 campaign

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pandabird
I reckon it was intended as an anti-thatcher song, but they aren't going to admit that when there's a whole army of Thatcher supporters buying their songs are they.

Those of us that saw them play it live back in the day were not, generally, pro Thatcher

But they were not as political as many other bands ... fun punk rather than spitting punk
Reply 62
Original post by greatwaves
I'm sure the families of the soldiers on the Belgrano, the torture victims of Pinochet (who she shielded from the law) and those who suffered under the Khmer Rouge rule wouldn't have thought she was very classy at all, though.

Buying a showtune from a 30s musical doesn't seem like such a big deal in comparison to some of the things that she got up to.

I've debated these points with 3-4 different users over the past few days in detail so I won't bother to go into detail on my opinion on those events but in short (I think the sinking of the Belgrano was just and the right thing, Pinochet was a **** and is one aspect I disagree with her on and the Khmer Rouge who she obviously did not anticipate what they would carry out as shown: Margaret Thatcher stated that "So, you'll find that the more reasonable ones of the Khmer Rouge will have to play some part in the future government, but only a minority part. I share your utter horror that these terrible things went on in Kampuchea."

But this is a UK chart voted for by UK people, the groups you suggest are not the ones buying this.
Reply 63
I hope the pro Maggie song gets to Number 1, or at least higher than 'Ding Dong The Witch is Dead'. What I find disgraceful more than anything is people who werent even born when she was in power or too young to remember when she was are having a party and celebrating, I'm 19 and I'm not partying and not shedding tears either, sad for her family, and hope her funeral goes without unsavory incidents, one reason I'm not partying is that I dont feel as though I have a right to have an opinion on someone whose time in office ended 3 years before I was born
It really makes no difference.

However many people buy a song is not a representative view of how people in the UK feel about a particular issue.
Reply 65
Original post by AgentSushi
Do Thatcher supporters not understand that this song is ironic and is in fact taking the michael?

They are a punk band from Burnley do you really think they would be Thatcher supporters :biggrin:

Of course but the name combats the vile song put forward by the left.
I find it amusing that people are downloading a satirical song about Thatcher's sex appeal to show their support. I'm sure the punk band behind it wont mind the sudden windfall though! It's a bit like bringing out the Sex Pistols to pay tribute to old Liz. Bizarre.

I'm sure that Rupert Murdoch won't mind the windfall from lefties buying Ding Dong either.

The irony...
(edited 11 years ago)
#15 now :smile:
Original post by marcusfox

The irony...

The real irony is that neither "side" seems to understand the dignity that would come from silence

This "battle" is pointless, demonstrates little, and would be offending no-one if the press were not so desperate to make something of nothing
Original post by pol pot noodles
I'm pretty sure that they said once that they revere Thatcher. Either way they hold no negativity against her.

I don't think they necessarily disliked her, but the song is in no way in support of her. Their Wikipedia page gives no clue either way, other than that they are a joke band so they're obviously not serious.
Original post by Bill_Gates
This is not China. The so called free west cannot stop music the public wants.

They couldn't stop people voting her in time and time and time again either.
Original post by Rakas21
Of course but the name combats the vile song put forward by the left.

:rolleyes:
Reply 72
Original post by Idle
I've debated these points with 3-4 different users over the past few days in detail so I won't bother to go into detail on my opinion on those events but in short (I think the sinking of the Belgrano was just and the right thing, Pinochet was a **** and is one aspect I disagree with her on and the Khmer Rouge who she obviously did not anticipate what they would carry out as shown: Margaret Thatcher stated that "So, you'll find that the more reasonable ones of the Khmer Rouge will have to play some part in the future government, but only a minority part. I share your utter horror that these terrible things went on in Kampuchea."

But this is a UK chart voted for by UK people, the groups you suggest are not the ones buying this.

No, but those are just some of the reasons people dislike her and don't feel like they're being classless for celebrating her death, you know? The people buying the single aren't actually hurting anyone, except maybe their bank accounts a little bit by splashing 80p on a 50 second song.

I don't actually support the campaign, but I can see why others would, and I just think that it's a bit misguided to claim that she was above such things. She was not a compassionate person, some of her actions had far-reaching negative consequences and she frequently showed a lack of respect for other human beings. Buying a single will never cause the same level of pain some believe that she inflicted on others.
Original post by marcusfox
I'm sure that Rupert Murdoch won't mind the windfall from lefties buying Ding Dong either.

The irony...

News Corp own the rights? Lol!
My dad pointed out an interesting point: half the people downloading these songs aren't old enough to remember the Thatcher years, or the original songs when they were released.
Original post by ArtGoblin
I don't think they necessarily disliked her, but the song is in no way in support of her. Their Wikipedia page gives no clue either way, other than that they are a joke band so they're obviously not serious.

Well Ding Dong the Witch is Dead isn't even actually about Thatcher at all so...
It's hardly like musicians gush over themselves to make flattering songs about politicians.
Anyway, the whole campaign is more about preventing Ding Dong from reaching number one than anything else. If that campaign didn't exist, this one wouldn't either.
This new initiative won't beat the previous one - followon 'tit for tat' social meme events are never as popular as the original action.
Reply 77
This whole things is pretty childish, tbh.

Political debate? No, let's buy a novelty song instead.
No, but those are just some of the reasons people dislike her and don't feel like they're being classless for celebrating her death, you know? The people buying the single aren't actually hurting anyone, except maybe their bank accounts a little bit by splashing 80p on a 50 second song.

I don't actually support the campaign, but I can see why others would, and I just think that it's a bit misguided to claim that she was above such things. She was not a compassionate person, some of her actions had far-reaching negative consequences and she frequently showed a lack of respect for other human beings. Buying a single will never cause the same level of pain some believe that she inflicted on others.

I'm pretty sure most that hate her, will have no idea what the Belgrano is or know who those names are.

The reason people hate her is:

>Muhh coal mine
It's up to 15 on the chart as of fifteen minutes ago.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending