The Student Room Group

Margaret Thatcher fans launch alternative #1 campaign

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TenOfThem
How odd that they have chosen this song, a song that took the p!ss out of Thatcher rather than something that may have made a charitable contribution

Yes, because Thatcher and her supporters are so charitable... :tongue:
Original post by marcusfox
I'm sure that Rupert Murdoch won't mind the windfall from lefties buying Ding Dong either.

The irony...

Time-Warner seems to own the rights - are they owned by Murdoch?
Original post by Fullofsurprises
This new initiative won't beat the previous one - followon 'tit for tat' social meme events are never as popular as the original action.

It's up to 15th on the chart after less than a day, so it's not doing too bad. It's not really the same as other social memes; this is a proper ideological battle.
Reply 83
Original post by greatwaves
The people buying the single aren't actually hurting anyone,

Except a grieving family.

She was above reveling in someone's death, everyone makes questionable decisions throughout their life, I doubt you would appreciate it if someone raised those in the week after your mother died? I know if anyone had done so within ear shot of me the week my dad died there would probably have been more than words exchanged.
I'm in support for this totally. Thatcher turned this country around. Yes she made some cuts but there is no doubt that the country was in a better state when she left...

The thing at always gets me about these labour bandwagon supporters is that the country was in a terrible state before thatcher. And despite being hated by millions she stayed in government for 11years and even then was ousted by her own party. What does that say about labour?
Original post by pol pot noodles
It's up to 15 on the chart as of fifteen minutes ago.

12 now :smile:
Original post by PythianLegume

TW isn't owned by News Corp. However, Billboard are reporting it to be out of copyright.
http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/digital-and-mobile/1557352/ding-dong-the-witch-is-dead-inside-the-uks-bizarre

Not sure what this means in practise as it may be that the precise version being played still has rights owners.
Well Ding Dong the Witch is Dead isn't even actually about Thatcher at all so...
It's hardly like musicians gush over themselves to make flattering songs about politicians.
Anyway, the whole campaign is more about preventing Ding Dong from reaching number one than anything else. If that campaign didn't exist, this one wouldn't either.

Well yeah, the pro-Thatcher campaign could have picked a song that wasn't about her but summed up their feelings towards her like 'Ding Dong' does for many people on the other side. I was complaining about the song choice for the anti-Thatcher campaign earlier. We have gems like this:

"You accuse us of disrespect for the dead,
But it was you who slaughtered out of national pride.
Just how much did you care? What respect did you have
As you sent those bodies to their communal grave?"

and we pick a Wizard of Oz song.
TW isn't owned by News Corp. However, Billboard are reporting it to be out of copyright.
http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/digital-and-mobile/1557352/ding-dong-the-witch-is-dead-inside-the-uks-bizarre

Not sure what this means in practise as it may be that the precise version being played still has rights owners.

Well, they're paying someone for the song, whether it's Time-Warner, NewsCorp, Apple or Amazon, they're still all corporate giants.
Original post by Miracle Day
12 now :smile:

If this beats Ding Dong, my faith in the UK will have been restored and I think I will actually have a party in the streets, albeit for the right reasons!
If this beats Ding Dong, my faith in the UK will have been restored and I think I will actually have a party in the streets, albeit for the right reasons!

I'll be waiting for my invite :pierre:
News Corp own the rights? Lol!

Original post by PythianLegume

The Wizard of Oz was an MGM film.

However, in recent years, MGM has had to file for bankruptcy protection in the US. The appointed administrator being Barclays Capital.

20th Century Fox (a NewsCorp company) has negotiated the worldwide rights to MGM's library until 2016 and consequently will receive all profits from royalties due. You could not make it up.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm under the impression Ding Dong has not been fully banned, but it's been censored/shortened. I think there is an explanation as to why it's in the charts as well.

I do wonder what BBC will do with I'm In Love With Margaret Thatcher. I presume it will be played, as it's respectful towards Thatcher, but I can imagine the anti-Thatcher campaign having a lot to say about that.
Reply 93
Original post by brendonbackflip
I'm under the impression Ding Dong has not been fully banned, but it's been censored/shortened. I think there is an explanation as to why it's in the charts as well.

I do wonder what BBC will do with I'm In Love With Margaret Thatcher. I presume it will be played, as it's respectful towards Thatcher, but I can imagine the anti-Thatcher campaign having a lot to say about that.

I do feel sorry for the BBC, whatever they do people are going to moan.

However, in recent years, MGM has had to file for bankruptcy protection in the US. The appointed administrator being Barclays Capital.

20th Century Fox (a NewsCorp company) has negotiated the worldwide rights to MGM's library until 2016 and consequently will receive all profits from royalties due. You could not make it up.

That's the rights to the movie you're talking about? Song rights within films are not necessarily vested with the owner of the movie rights. Billboard says it's out of copyright and generally song rights belong to the song writers or those they have sold them to.

EDIT From the sheet music, it does look as if MGM did own the original song rights.
http://www.wendyswizardofoz.com/sheetmusic/dingdongthewitchisdead/Image1.png
(edited 11 years ago)
BBC should play it.

People should grow up.

Celebrating her death is 'bad taste', but whatever. Bad taste can be some funny **** and if people want to do it I don't care, even if most of the people celebrating her death are utter ****ing morons with no ****ing clue about her.

Although the lyricist was sympathetic towards communism and was blacklisted by Hollywood so not all bad.

Hardly anything we buy in this world is 'clean' from horrible multi-national companies anymore as that's how our economy works. It is impossible to live in this society without consuming goods from companies we disapprove of. At least this particular purchase is done out of some spirit of rebellion, even if capitalism is so ingrained now that rebellion involves consumption.
Reply 97
Number 11 now!

It's going to beat the witch song!
It's at 34 now. The fight back begins!

12th in iTunes Chart :cool:

I'll most likely never listen to the song, but anything to make the people who started the 'Ding Dong song' thing look like arses is worth the 79p any day.
Reply 99
Original post by pinda.college
Cannot believe they are not playing it, politically impartial my ass....

The BBC has traditionally been left-wing so to say that they have banned a pro-Conservative song because they are not politically impartial is completely contradictory.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending