The Student Room Group

Stressed about prom, should I go?

I'm getting so stressed out about my year 11 prom, which is at the end of June, and I don't really know if I want to go.
It doesn't really sound very fun. I'm not really into getting all dressed up and I won't know any of the boys going (our partner school). I wouldn't mind so much excpet that it's all so expensive! My parents are happy to pay for most of it, but then they won't help me out with other stuff I'm doing this summer, so it will cost me that same. It just doesn't seem worth it for the effort and money.
On the other hand, I'm moving schools so this will be my last chance to see a lot of people. I also feel like I have to go, just because everyone does. (I'm still going to an anti/after-prom party so won't be at home all night).

I don't know whether it's worth it. Any advice or your experiences of prom would really help :smile:

EDIT: About the leaving thing, this is the last time I'll see most of my year, but not my friends. I'm having a big leaving party/picnic and a smaller party for my birthday which is at the end of the summer.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alix23
I'm getting so stressed out about my year 11 prom, which is at the end of June, and I don't really know if I want to go.
It doesn't really sound very fun. I'm not really into getting all dressed up and I won't know any of the boys going (our partner school). I wouldn't mind so much excpet that it's all so expensive! My parents are happy to pay for most of it, but then they won't help me out with other stuff I'm doing this summer, so it will cost me that same. It just doesn't seem worth it for the effort and money.
On the other hand, I'm moving schools so this will be my last chance to see a lot of people. I also feel like I have to go, just because everyone does. (I'm still going to an anti/after-prom party so won't be at home all night).

I don't know whether it's worth it. Any advice or your experiences of prom would really help :smile:

I didn't bother with mine. No regrets.
I didn't really like my prom.
Depends how much you think you'll miss it if you don't go. If you decide not to go and your friends all go and they come back and say it was really bad, then you won't feel bad about it, if that makes any sense. On the other hand, they might all say it was really good. You could either go and if it's really bad just live through it - it's only one night. Or you could not go and miss whatever.
But you'll make the right decision, whatever you choose.
Reply 4
You go ... maybe it is crap maybe it isn't ... so what

You miss it ... maybe it is great ... nothing you can do about that

Why does it have to be expensive
I wish I hadn't bothered. I went but it was rubbish me and a friend left early and went to McDonald's !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
If you are going to an afetr party don't bother. You will see your friends there!
Original post by Alix23

I think you should go just to say goodbye to friends! And the cost? Seriously don't go crazy spending loads on a dress you'll never wear again its not worth it I was like you last year I wasn't sure whether I wanted to go but I did and I'm glad it was like the last hoorah! Are you in year 11 if so please don't stress focus on your exams you'll look back and why you were so worried about prom :smile:
Reply 8
I loved my Prom and I'm so glad I went. We have a sixth form prom in about 6 weeks and since I know what my Y11 Prom was like, I am so so so excited for this one!
Dressing up wasn't really my thing either but it was nice to feel as if you'd put in effort for the night and enjoy it with your friends :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by TenOfThem
You go ... maybe it is crap maybe it isn't ... so what

You miss it ... maybe it is great ... nothing you can do about that

Why does it have to be expensive

Ticket is £38. Even if I get a cheap dress, it'll still be at least £40. I don't have any shoes that would do, so I'd have to get those as well for at least £30. Well over £100 is pretty expensive for a single evening that sounds like it'll be crap.

Original post by ChocolateMelody
Depends how much you think you'll miss it if you don't go. If you decide not to go and your friends all go and they come back and say it was really bad, then you won't feel bad about it, if that makes any sense. On the other hand, they might all say it was really good. You could either go and if it's really bad just live through it - it's only one night. Or you could not go and miss whatever.
But you'll make the right decision, whatever you choose.

I'm talking to my friends about whether they're going or not. It looks like all of one group is going and about half another group (who are having the after party) are.

Thanks for all the advice!
I didn't go to my prom, and never once did I regret it. A lot of my friends at uni can't believe I would miss the school prom, but a people from school tell me it was crap and that they had a rubbish time so I wasn't that bothered.
Reply 11
I have friends but I don't really like any of them...
Reply 12
If you do go to prom, it doesn't mean that you have to spend loads of money. A lot of girls at my prom just wore regular going out dresses rather than the big spectacles that cost £££'s. It won't matter that you won't know any of the boys, I didn't but I still had a great time with my friends!
Original post by Alix23
Ticket is £38.

WoW

My Daughters was £10

She has worn the dress and shoes to other parties but then she went for a non-trad dress
I didn't bother going to my year 11 prom and most the people who went said it wasn't worth it. My friends pressured me into going to the Year 13 one as it was 'the last chance we'd have to all be together', but even that wasn't worth it.
All the people I was good friends with are people I still see now on a regular basis two years later and the people I don't see weren't that close to me and I didn't even talk to them at prom anyway so it didn't matter.

If you don't want to go, don't. You're not missing out on anything spectacular. If your friends are important to you, you'll still see them and if they're not important enough to stay in contact with, is it worth spending all that money to go to something you don't want to go to just to say goodbye?
Reply 15
Original post by Jodie_668
If you do go to prom, it doesn't mean that you have to spend loads of money. A lot of girls at my prom just wore regular going out dresses rather than the big spectacles that cost £££'s. It won't matter that you won't know any of the boys, I didn't but I still had a great time with my friends!

Original post by TenOfThem
WoW

My Daughters was £10

She has worn the dress and shoes to other parties but then she went for a non-trad dress

The school is using the ticket money to get a magician. What?

I'm not going to get a big dress, but people are taking it so seriously there is such a pressure to get a formal dress. I don't have anything else I could wear anyway though.
Original post by Alix23

EDIT: About the leaving thing, this is the last time I'll see most of my year, but not my friends. I'm having a big leaving party/picnic and a smaller party for my birthday which is at the end of the summer.

If I were you I would definitely go, it is an experience you will never get back if you don't.

In the months before my prom, I suffered with really severe depression/anxiety and so I was SO nervous and apprehensive about going - I was worried about virtually every aspect of it. And I got so close to not going because of worrying I wouldn't be able to cope. But in the end I plucked up my courage and I went, and I was really glad I did. I didn't make it through the whole evening - I got there for the meet and greet, stayed for the meal and the awards ceremony and then it all got a bit much and so I went home. But I was still very very glad I went, it's a great experience and a great way to celebrate finishing high school because that is a big achievement. It's something you'll always remember, your prom night :smile:
Original post by Alix23

Prom committee need killing
Reply 18
Original post by Alix23

I'm not going to get a big dress, but people are taking it so seriously there is such a pressure to get a formal dress. I don't have anything else I could wear anyway though.

Well, if you are really not feeling the prom then maybe there it's not worth going. If you think you are not going to enjoy it then you probably won't be in the mind frame on the night to enjoy it.
Even though mine was a good night, in the end it was just a posh party and you'll have plenty more parties to come!
I still think you should go but definitely keep your costs cheap! I and my friends spent way to much money on our outfits and transport and in the end we didn't see the point. It was a nice formal occasion and nice for an hour to take photos for everyone but after that all we wanted was the after party! Maybe arrive, show your face then go home and get your after-party outfit on and pre-drink etc?

Either way enjoy it whilst you can as you will remember it either way!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending