The Student Room Group

Margaret Thatcher fans launch alternative #1 campaign

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Idle
I do feel sorry for the BBC, whatever they do people are going to moan.

The way the Daily Mail are dealing with them over it sinks to new depths of gratuitous attack even by their miserable standards.

A uninformed DM reader, scanning the paper over the last few days, would conclude that the BBC is running an anti-Thatcher hate campaign of unprecedented proportions. This against the background of their overhelmingly grovelling, almost toadyingly flattering coverage.
Original post by CJKay
The BBC has traditionally been left-wing so to say that they have banned a pro-Conservative song because they are not politically impartial is completely contradictory.

Right wingers think it's biased towards the left, left wingers think it's biased towards the right. They always have.
Original post by Hunarench95
12th in iTunes Chart :cool:

I'll most likely never listen to the song, but anything to make the people who started the 'Ding Dong song' thing look like arses is worth the 79p any day.

It's 11th in the overall chart now. Hopefully will break the top 10 by tonight and make an assault for 1st place tommorrow.
From the band's own website:

"Meant as neither a pro - nor anti-Thatcher song. It revolved around the idea that no-one was too sacred to get the piss taken out of..."

I think Maggie would have approved. :smile:
Reply 104
Just bought it, get it to no1!
Reply 105
I've bought it

edit; does it make a difference if you buy from Itunes or Amazon? Is it the same chart? I bought it from Itunes...
(edited 11 years ago)
What these idiots are doing is disgraceful. Politics isn't a playground, you don't treat people like that no matter how much you dislike her.

Might not have agreed with her but it doesn't matter.

Unfortunately, the more you cry out and try to repress these things, the more "edgy" the action seems, and consequently these fools think they're being even cooler by being disgusting.
Original post by ed-
I've bought it

edit; does it make a difference if you buy from Itunes or Amazon? Is it the same chart? I bought it from Itunes...

As long as it's the iTunes UK store or the Amazon UK website. Both are counted on the national chart.
Original post by Authority_Song
What these idiots are doing is disgraceful. Politics isn't a playground, you don't treat people like that no matter how much you dislike her.

Might not have agreed with her but it doesn't matter.

Unfortunately, the more you cry out and try to repress these things, the more "edgy" the action seems, and consequently these fools think they're being even cooler by being disgusting.

Are you joking?

Reply 109
Do I get the song or the whole single ?
As a more neutral counter-point, I'd suggest a campaign to make Don't Cry For Me Argentina #1, as I'm sure that Britons on both ends of the political spectrum can appreciate the sentiment there.
Reply 111
Original post by ArtGoblin
Right wingers think it's biased towards the left, left wingers think it's biased towards the right. They always have.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_the_BBC#The_Thatcher_government
I'm pretty sure nobody's ever asserted the BBC is right-wing.
Reply 112
BBC is meant to be politically impartial so ban both or neither.
Neither would be more to my taste, freedom of speech and that kinda stuff.
(otherwise we would have to ban some of the funniest comedians in the UK as well)
Reply 113
Oh god I hope this succeeds

It would be hilarious when this doesn't end up getting censored
Reply 114
Original post by TenOfThem
Those of us that saw them play it live back in the day were not, generally, pro Thatcher

But they were not as political as many other bands ... fun punk rather than spitting punk

A punk band that follows Thatcher is just hilarious.

I do believe that this band is, what hipsters say, a sell out.
Reply 115
Original post by Barden
As a more neutral counter-point, I'd suggest a campaign to make Don't Cry For Me Argentina #1, as I'm sure that Britons on both ends of the political spectrum can appreciate the sentiment there.

:rofl: I definitely support this idea.
I doubt the BBC would play an overtly racist song, even if it made it into the charts. That's double standards for you.
This is all very pointless.
Original post by pandabird
A punk band that follows Thatcher is just hilarious.

I do believe that this band is, what hipsters say, a sell out.

they have pretty much all sold out now

and when i say they i really mean we :frown:
Original post by ArtGoblin
Are you joking?

I know people act silly sometimes, that's not quite what I was getting at. I mean you shouldn't be acting like you're happy that someone's dead. That's what little kids do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending