The Student Room Group

intergration by parts

i have done a few intergration by parts questions and I am struggling to find why some equations need to have the process done twice

any explanation would be appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by mikeabc
i have done a few intergration by parts questions and I am struggling to find why some equations need to have the process done twice

Hard to explain without a specific example, but note that:
(i) there's no guarantee that IBP will work at all in the general case!
(ii) if one of your functions is of the form t^n where n is an integer, and you choose that as the function to differentiate then the IBP process may need numerous repetitions as you reduce the power n to get something that you can integrate directly
(iii) sometimes when you do an IBP for the first time you end up with something like I = f(x) + J where I is the original integral and J is another integral that you can't work out directly. By applying IBP to J, you may be able to express J in terms of I, which gives you an equation that you can rearrange to solve for I in terms of f(x).
Reply 2
Original post by mikeabc

as an aside note, there are things which can help in IBP, for example, reduction formulas, or, like standard integrals , knowing particular formulas for certain ones helps.

As an example, if you have xnexp(x)dx\int x^{n}exp(x)dx

the integral of this is just exe^x multiplying an alternating series of the successive derivatives of xnx^n thusly:

x4exdx=ex(x44x3+12x224x+24)+c\int x^{4}e^{x}dx = e^{x}(x^{4}-4x^{3}+12x^{2}-24x+24)+c
Integration by parts formula: int(u*dv/dx) =uv-int(v*du/dx)

It's when the integral of v*du/dx is to difficult to integrate by inspection - ie it's (x^2)*(sinx) or something - so you have to use a second integration by parts to put back into the original one :smile:
Reply 4
that negging wasn`t me, by the way!
Reply 5
Original post by Hasufel
that negging wasn`t me, by the way!

Wow - 3 negs attracted for a comprehensive answer to the OP's question. Someone must be on a downer tonight :smile:
Original post by davros
Wow - 3 negs attracted for a comprehensive answer to the OP's question. Someone must be on a downer tonight :smile:

My reaction was something like :eek:

A very precise answer by the way :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by davros

I plussed you and, hopefully the neggers are not "worth as much as me"

xx
Reply 8
Original post by Indeterminate
My reaction was something like :eek:

A very precise answer by the way :smile:

I'm up to 4 negs now!

Maybe revealing that integration by parts isn't a silver bullet that will solve all integration problems is like telling small children that the Easter Bunny doesn't exist :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by davros

telling small children that the Easter Bunny doesn't exist

WHAT?

Well where do the hidden eggs come from then?
Reply 10
Original post by TenOfThem
I plussed you and, hopefully the neggers are not "worth as much as me"

xx

much appreciated :smile:

Good job I'm not a depressive personality - I never realized an explanation of integration techniques could be so contentious!
Reply 11
Original post by Hunarench95
Integration by parts formula: int(u*dv/dx) =uv-int(v*du/dx)

It's when the integral of v*du/dx is to difficult to integrate by inspection - ie it's (x^2)*(sinx) or something - so you have to use a second integration by parts to put back into the original one :smile:

so if the integral of v*du/dx is hard to intergrate, you repeat the same process where then it will be easier to intergrate
Reply 12
Original post by mikeabc
so if the integral of v*du/dx is hard to intergrate, you repeat the same process where then it will be easier to intergrate

well if your u function is x^2 for example, one application of the integration by parts formula will reduce it to a multiple of x, so you may still have a product that you need to integrate, which means re-applying the IBP formula.

If you had x^8 as a multiplier, then you might have to apply IBP 7 or 8 times to get something directly integrable - it depends on the "other" function in the original integral!
Reply 13
now it makes sense, thanks!!

Quick Reply

Latest