The Student Room Group

Only realise how happy I was when I am unhappy

When I am happy, I never actually realise this. When I am having a good time, when I am with friends, when I do anything I like I just find that it is just 'ok' or 'alright'.

Then when I go through bad patches like I have been going through for the past month, I realise just how lucky I was and that I kind of must have taken the good times for granted. I wish I could go back to my old ways, but then if I have my old way of life when I am happy I don't actually realise this. I feel content and satisfied but never think of it as anything more than that (i never feel really joyful etc), and it is only when my life turns that I realised how lucky I was and how grateful I should have been. I think the saying is:
"You never know what you have until it's gone"

Even though I am aware of this concept, I have gone through good and bad patches a lot in my life and I never seem to learn from my mistakes. It is sort of something I know and am are of but I can't change myself to realise how happy I am. It is just the way I am.

I can provide examples of situations if you would like me to.
bump
I think that's completely normal. My life a year ago seems so much better in so many ways & I'd give anything to go back go a year and re-live it. However, can't live in the past. Only make the present worth it and the future bright. Otherwise, it will be a years time & I'll just look on how miserable you are when you could be happy, and regret it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KirstBarlow
I think that's completely normal. My life a year ago seems so much better in so many ways & I'd give anything to go back go a year and re-live it. However, can't live in the past. Only make the present worth it and the future bright. Otherwise, it will be a years time & I'll just look on how miserable you are when you could be happy, and regret it

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's wrong with this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by James Lucifer
What's wrong with this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A-levels

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aah , we're in the same boat eexcept I only have four weeks to complete sh!t loads of course work. But goodluck with your exams :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Aah , we're in the same boat eexcept I only have four weeks to complete sh!t loads of course work. But goodluck with your exams :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, thank you. Best of luck to you, too. Hope the coursework doesn't bore you to death!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah, thank you. Best of luck to you, too. Hope the coursework doesn't bore you to death!

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks , the course is boring considering im still going to do it in uni and it will be even harder so yay :smile: Im doing IT and business what about you?
thanks , the course is boring considering im still going to do it in uni and it will be even harder so yay :smile: Im doing IT and business what about you?

I wish you the best of luck. University sounds like a great idea:smile:
I do English Literature, Sociology & Public Services

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by blair turgott
When I am happy, I never actually realise this. When I am having a good time, when I am with friends, when I do anything I like I just find that it is just 'ok' or 'alright'.

Then when I go through bad patches like I have been going through for the past month, I realise just how lucky I was and that I kind of must have taken the good times for granted. I wish I could go back to my old ways, but then if I have my old way of life when I am happy I don't actually realise this. I feel content and satisfied but never think of it as anything more than that (i never feel really joyful etc), and it is only when my life turns that I realised how lucky I was and how grateful I should have been. I think the saying is:
"You never know what you have until it's gone"

Even though I am aware of this concept, I have gone through good and bad patches a lot in my life and I never seem to learn from my mistakes. It is sort of something I know and am are of but I can't change myself to realise how happy I am. It is just the way I am.

I can provide examples of situations if you would like me to.

I don't think that you are describing a happy life, even if you remember it like this. If you can not feel fulliflled about your life at the present then I think that you haven't yet found what makes you happy. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe that you have to feel fulliflled every single moment, that's impossible, but it will surely improve your life if you can do that even rarely. We tend to remember our past with good memories, I suppose this is because we are erasing the negative ones. For example from the school times you will rarely remember your bordemom, but you will remember some funny stories. Also when you face difficult situations in your life then the fact that you reminisce your old times doesn't necessary make them happy. You are just thinking about a better situation than the one you are in right now. My whole point is that I strongly believe that you should try to discover the things that will make you feel happy while you are living them. Don't leave your life in an "ok" state,try to discover/create the life that will make you feel fullfield.

EDIT: Suddenly I realized that this thread is a "little" old :biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest