The Student Room Group

Is a degree in humanities worthless?

I'm thinking about doing an Open University degree, but I'm torn between History with Classical Studies (which I know will be useful, but I'm worried I won't really enjoy it) and Humanities with Literature (which I think I will enjoy but I'm worried it will be looked down on and be worthless in the long run).
Reply 1
No, not always unemployable. Depends really.

Are Open University's any good?
Reply 2
Original post by Upper Echelons
I heard that the Humanities degrees there teach you how to form plurals correctly.

My bad. I'm (wo)MAN enough to admit that :')
Original post by Upper Echelons
I heard that the Humanities degrees there teach you how to form plurals correctly.

What you quoted is actually perfectly correct. She isn't forming a plural, she's forming a possessive. She's asking about the humanities degrees of Open University.
Reply 4
History with Classical Studies useful? Are you on crack?
Reply 5
Original post by scrotgrot
History with Classical Studies useful? Are you on crack?

You do know how useful history degrees are, right? And besides, many of the careers I want to pursue involve skills gained from history courses. In particular, a curator...so.

Honestly, I'm just having trouble choosing between History with Classical Studies, that I may not enjoy but will be more beneficial, and Humanities with Literature, which I will enjoy more but might not be as useful. I just want some guidance, jfc.
Original post by kidloki
You do know how useful history degrees are, right? And besides, many of the careers I want to pursue involve skills gained from history courses. In particular, a curator...so.

Honestly, I'm just having trouble choosing between History with Classical Studies, that I may not enjoy but will be more beneficial, and Humanities with Literature, which I will enjoy more but might not be as useful. I just want some guidance, jfc.

What's so useful about Classical Studies over Literature?
Reply 7
Original post by TritonSails
What's so useful about Classical Studies over Literature?

Classical Studies and Literature are just pathways for those subjects. They're not what the course is based on, they're like add-ons (but you have to choose one), and those two are just the most appealing to me.
Original post by kidloki
Classical Studies and Literature are just pathways for those subjects. They're not what the course is based on, they're like add-ons (but you have to choose one), and those two are just the most appealing to me.

Yeah I get that I just mean that when you say talk about "History with Classical Studies, that I may not enjoy but will be more beneficial, and Humanities with Literature, which I will enjoy more but might not be as useful" what do you mean by 'beneficial' and 'useful'?
Reply 9
Original post by TritonSails
Yeah I get that I just mean that when you say talk about "History with Classical Studies, that I may not enjoy but will be more beneficial, and Humanities with Literature, which I will enjoy more but might not be as useful" what do you mean by 'beneficial' and 'useful'?

As in get a better job...I'm just worried a potential employer will see "humanities degree" and think it's as rubbish as a degree in, like, social studies or media. But a history degree won't be looked down on like that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending