The Student Room Group

Ask a third year physicist anything!

Hi guys,

As it says in the title, I'm a third year at Sussex on the MPhys program. I'm expecting a first, I'm an experimentalist interested in atomic and optical physics, and I did a foundation year here.

If anyone has any questions about physics at uni, want to see some example lecture notes, are curious about student life, or Sussex's department, I'm here to answer them - if there's any interest :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Antimatter
Hi guys,

As it says in the title, I'm a third year at Sussex on the MPhys program. I'm expecting a first, I'm an experimentalist interested in atomic and optical physics, and I did a foundation year here.

If anyone has any questions about physics at uni, want to see some example lecture notes, are curious about student life, or Sussex's department, I'm here to answer them - if there's any interest :smile:

Could I see some example lecture notes please? I'm a medic but I've always had a keen interest in Physics and it's the only A-level I actually miss! Thanks :smile:
Reply 2
Can you cry under water?
Reply 3
Original post by areebmazhar
Could I see some example lecture notes please? I'm a medic but I've always had a keen interest in Physics and it's the only A-level I actually miss! Thanks :smile:

Sure - do you want mine or ones lecturers post online? The only ones I have on me right now are advanced QM, particle physics and lasers - but my particle notes are terrible! I can scan a few piccies of whichever you'd like though :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Fusion
Can you cry under water?

It's practically an entry requirement.
Reply 5
Hi guys,

Have any quantum optics or stat mech stuff? I'm meant to be doing that next year on my course
Reply 6
Original post by natninja
Have any quantum optics or stat mech stuff? I'm meant to be doing that next year on my course

Not yet, I'm taking a course in it next year too though - where do you study? :smile:
Reply 7
Not yet, I'm taking a course in it next year too though - where do you study? :smile:

Oxford, I'm currently in my first year but we start that next year and spend basically the whole year doing that and doing all the classical e/m we don't cover in first year
Reply 8
Are there many girls doing physics?
Reply 9
Sure - do you want mine or ones lecturers post online? The only ones I have on me right now are advanced QM, particle physics and lasers - but my particle notes are terrible! I can scan a few piccies of whichever you'd like though :smile:

Could I see some of yours? I'm doing physics A-level, and particle physics is one of the areas I'm more interested in, plus it would be good to see what university notes are like. Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
what's the work load in first year ? - is first year much harder than advanced higher physics ? - and in general is there much writing in the course ?
Reply 11
Original post by Namige
Are there many girls doing physics?

I'm one! I'd say we're about 30-40% girls but it never feels that way, at least to me. All my classmates are my friends and I don't see their gender when I look at them!
Reply 12
Original post by Rhodopsin94
Could I see some of yours? I'm doing physics A-level, and particle physics is one of the areas I'm more interested in, plus it would be good to see what university notes are like. Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

My notes are at home - I'll scan them soon :smile: In the meantime I can PM/email you my lecture's notes for the nuclear and particle physics course if that would interest you? They're really well written!
Reply 13
Original post by SorryInAdvance
what's the work load in first year ? - is first year much harder than advanced higher physics ? - and in general is there much writing in the course ?

I'd say it's a fair bit harder but it only gets worse in second year :wink: On the plus side, it does get more interesting though and as you progress, even though you're working harder you definitely enjoy it more! Writing wise, we write one long lab report a year and I've written two essays in the last four years, so not really!
My notes are at home - I'll scan them soon :smile: In the meantime I can PM/email you my lecture's notes for the nuclear and particle physics course if that would interest you? They're really well written!

Okay, whenever you can would be great :smile: yeah sure, thanks! Is it easier for you to PM me or email them? If you'd rather email, then I'll PM you my email, but otherwise just PM :smile: thanks again :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could you PM me the lecturers notes on the nuclear and particle physics course please? Also, thanks for taking the time out to do this, I'm sure we all appreciate it :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by areebmazhar
Could you PM me the lecturers notes on the nuclear and particle physics course please? Also, thanks for taking the time out to do this, I'm sure we all appreciate it :smile:

If you or anyone else wants them, please PM me your email address and I'll send them to you :smile:
Reply 17
Hi, I'm also a third year physics student, but at a different university.
How's the staff student relationship in the department? I've been trying to gauge how it is in other departments.
Reply 18
Original post by Manitude
Hi, I'm also a third year physics student, but at a different university.
How's the staff student relationship in the department? I've been trying to gauge how it is in other departments.

Amazing! But I'm not sure about others... How's yours?

We have an open door policy so all lecturers doors are open at all times and we're encouraged to pop in and see them, and often have coffee/chats with them. The head of department tries to come into our study space at least once a week to have a chat and see how he can improve, and all the staff really want the best for us. An anecdote I like to tell on open days is when I was struggling on a question revising in first year I knocked on my lecturer's door but he was out, but the guy in the office next door popped out and asked if he could help (bear in mind I'd never met him before at this point...) and spent an hour helping a first year with basic mechanics. It turns out he's a world leader in supersymmetry searches at the LHC :o:

We also have a ball once a year (next Saturday!) where a lot of staff and students go to let their hair down and relax, then often some staff come out to the local clubs with us!
Reply 19
XD a close friend of mines in first year physics at sussex!!
i went and sat in on a lecture of his the other day (i love physics) but it was the most boring thing ever lolol - classical physics lecture about capacitors (lectured by the little lady with red glasses...dunno where shes from). the whole electricity/electromagnet thing i hated in a levels :frown:. on the plus side, we did spot someone in his group who is a doppelganger of one of our friends ^^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending